15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 12:15 PM by ptl-2010

Premiere not using all available resources?

ptl-2010

I've noticed that when I render out in premiere certain effects will make the software slow down, but my CPU/GPU/Disk usage never seems to increase. I used DE:noise and about 5 clips, and a few 3d lights in AE and all of a sudden my render time when from the normal 3-4 minutes to 30+, but my CPU usage will never go above 50%, my ram usage never goes much higher than 5gb, disc usage isn't much, and my GPU load is 0%.

Here is my system

Core i7 930 (2.8ghz)

9GB DDR3 ram

2 1tb drives, 1 with OS and software, 2nd with project files. Both running off of internal SATA ports.

ati 5770

I know my GPU isn't supported for the mecury playback engine, but I'm still confused as to why PPro isn't using all of this free RAM and CPU. When I used to try to create stuff on my old laptop, it would max out everything and back of a little every once-in-a-while. it seems like it's being limited or something?

• 1. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

GPU load at 0% is to be expected, since it is an ATI card.

Memory at 5+ GB seems logical and certainly not unreasonable with only 9 GB installed, without knowing your source material and your export settings.

CPU usage low also seems logical, given your disk setup.

How did you measure CPU/GPU/memory loads? What is your source material and export settings, OS, version of PR? What tuning did you do?

Try the PPBM5 Benchmark to see how well your system performs.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?
            ptl-2010 Level 1

My footage is from a canon 60d, filmed at 1920x1080 at 30fps. Other material are PS documents, all resized to 1920x1080. Whole segment is 1:15, with 5 seconds slate and 5 seconds black, then 1 min spot, then 5 seconds black.

The export I'm doing now is for a preview, so its an .flv with the following settings

640x36, progressive MPEG layer III (mp3) 256 kbps, stereo, CBR, 1 Pass, Target 1000.00 kbps

The usage stats are just from the task manager and GPU-z.

Normally only takes about a minute or so for similar spots, but as soon as I introduced DE:noise and 3d lights for about 15-30 seconds of footage the render time is now about 30 minutes.

I will do the test as you mentioned to see where I am with my system, thanks!

• 3. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?
              ptl-2010 Level 1

Ok so I got my test results but the website does not really explain what they mean. doesn't really help much :/

Can anyone point me in the direction of the interpretation instructions, or do those even exist? I swear I've looked through the whole site and can't find any info reguarding what the results mean.

• 4. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Paul,

As far as I can see, you did not submit your results yet. I can't comment on your results without a data submission.

• 5. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?
                  Jim_Simon Level 9

why PPro isn't using all of this free RAM and CPU.

Most likely because the effects which slow it down aren't properly multi-threaded.

• 6. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?
                    ptl-2010 Level 1

Harm,

My computer is listed under LandmarkDirect.

• 7. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?
                      RjL190365 Level 4

Paul,

I have just looked at your results. According to those results, it looks like your performance in MPEG-2 and H.264 encoding are both slower than they should have been. The disk I/O performance is about what it should be if you're not using RAID at all.

In addition, your system doesn't have enough RAM to run CS5 at its best. In fact, 9GB of RAM requires the use of mixed memory modules, some with completely different ICs that might not be fully compatible with one another. (This means that you might have some sticks of RAM that don't work very well with the others in that same system; in fact, those results are actually slower than a system with only 6GB of RAM but the exact same CPU, disk and graphics components as your system.)

In other words, your system is not properly tuned.

• 8. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Do you have the Multithreading turned on in AE preferences and what do you have the memory allot set per core? Also what do you have your AE cache directory set to and the size?

Did yo render the AE section out before linking into Premiere?

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?
                          ptl-2010 Level 1

Rjl:

Hm... strange that HP sends out systems with mix matched RAM modules. Part of the reason I didn't build my first system was because I didn't know enough to make sure everything worked well together, doesn't look like HP does either. Just took a look at that and there is indeed an odd ball stick in there. Any suggestions on what I should do with the RAM? Just get a new set? would 12 gigs suffice? Should I just take the 1 gig stick out and leave 8 in it, or find a matching stick to add to it?

ECBowen:

I did not have multithreading turned on, and I do not see anything telling me what memory I have per core. I RAM preview the stuff in AE, then preview it in PPr using a render preview.

• 10. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?

No you do not want to use mixed size Ram Modules because they have different timings. That often causes issues with the ram compatibility and the memory  controller on the board.

You need to go into preferences in AE under edit and down to memory and multithreading. Turn Multithreading on and change the Core assignment for ram to 1GB or .5GB and see if it does not give you an error when you close AE. You should really render any AE comp before dropping into Premiere since if you wait till it's in Premiere, AE will have to run in the background to render that section of the Sequence and it will take forever with Premiere eating so much ram. With a Quad core CPU you really need atleast 12GB of ram for AE to function correctly with the amount of cores you have since Adobe will automatically leave 3GB of ram for other programs to use.

Eric

ADK

• 11. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Paul,

Your disk I/O is not bad, but your MPEG2-DVD score is pretty disappointing for your system. This can indicate that you have too many background pocesses, but with only 9 GB of memory, that is an additional factor to take into consideration. A nice improvement could be achieved with a CUDA capable nVidia card. With some diligent tuning you could probably shave off something like 100 seconds without a nVidia card and more than 200 seconds with a CUDA card.

• 12. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?
                                ptl-2010 Level 1

Ok now I see that... Turned on render multiple frames simultaneously and the ram allocation per background CPU is 1gb. I took the 1gb stick out, and will retest without it.

and what do you mean by render the AE comp before going into premiere? Rendering out the comp and importing it into premiere kind of defeats the purpose of using dynamic link if that's what you mean.

• 13. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?
                                  ptl-2010 Level 1

Thanks harm, I plan on getting a new graphics card and going up to 12 gb ram. I can afford to get a couple 2 gb sticks and a geforce card around $200, but don't have the budget right now to get a whole new set of 4gb sticks for my box. That should get me running smoothly.

• 14. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?

Well your workflow is up to you. However Premiere will not render that part of the Sequence. AE's engine will render that part in the background and your amount of ram will be limited for that because Premiere will be open and using most of it with the MPE engine. If you want to work the way your going then I suggest you get 24GB of ram and even then it will be slower rendering the the DL services but that will help.

Eric

ADK

• 15. Re: Premiere not using all available resources?
                                      ptl-2010 Level 1

AH I see what you're saying now.

In my situation it would take longer to do that than to just render it out of premiere, I have to change things constantly, and they're also extremely simple so my renders are already quick. My projects are very simple, 1 minute TV spots. 70% of the spot is color corrected footage from a Canon 60D using RGB curves or Fast Color corrector, and the other 30% is simple AE animations using .PSD's and motion backgrounds. I usually do animated zooms and pans on the footage to give it some life, but other than that it's farely basic stuff.

Every once in a while I do green screen work or recreate scenes using AE.

My system usually renders my previews for the entire spot in under 1 minute, and I render out 5 final versions in about 20 minutes. I've only ran into this render issue when I added some 3d lights and didn't understand why my render time was 10x longer than usual just because of a few second long comp with lights added to it. I think it probably had to do with the multithreading, as I reopned that project, deleted the preview files, and re-rendered it and it took maybe 5 minutes.

I will be adding 4 gb of ram and a CUDA card here in the future to help when I have graphics intensive spots. I removed that rogue 1gb ram module for now and I haven't noticed much of a difference, but I'd rather not have it in there than risk it causing problems.