• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captivate Demo Does Not Appear

Participant ,
Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using TCS 3.5, have a machine with 8 GB RAM, large hard drive, fast processor.  I am using Captivate to record in Demonstration mode at 1024 x 768.  I am outputting to swf.

I have followed the RoboHelp instructions to the letter, but still get this problem: the Captivate demo does not show in my CHM, except when you click the View Result button after compiling. It also shows up in the topic preview ("View Selected Item").

It does not show up when you double click the CHM file in a folder.  What shows is an outline of where the demo should be, with a red X in a little box at the upper left corner.

It does show up in WebHelp.  The code in the CHM looks okay to me:

<body>

<p><object id="object1" data="captivate_demo.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"

style="border: none;" width="1445" height="950">

<param name="movie" value="captivate_demo.swf">

<param name="quality" value="high">

</object></p>

</body>

I have the latest Flash update (as of 10 minutes ago) running.

Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

Jack DeLand wrote:

Any workarounds at all?

You mean besides stating that folks only use the CHM on 32 bit systems or offering instructions on how to launch the 32 bit help viewer?

I do suppose you could use the Shortcut control to open an instance of Internet Explorer with the Captivate page. But that would require ensuring the Captivate SWF and associated files (HTML, JS) were shipped and installed to the same folder as the CHM file. And depending on how your CHM was launched, you might need to s

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

By chance are you using Windows 7 64 bit? If so, that's likely why.

My guess is that the demo will work dandy if you click View Result after compiling, but double-clicking the CHM afterward from Windows Explorer will fail.

The issue is that there isn't a Flash Player/Plug In for IE on 64 bit systems. And when you double-click a CHM file on a 64 bit system, you are launching the 64 bit version of HH.EXE.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! So if he runs the 32 bit version in the syswow64 folder will it work then? Or does such a beastie not exist in Win7?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff

Well, assuming the issue is the one of 64 bit, sure.

But like so many other posts we see, this is but one issue of an array of possibilites.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use chms, so I don't know off the top of my head, but has this (swf in a chm) worked before? If so, was the Flash output version setting changed? Since chms are ancient, I wouldn't expect them to run newer versions of flash content. If it's never worked before, is it even possible? I don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

SWF inside CHM should work just fine. The thing is, the CHM uses elements of IE as the display mechanism. And when a CHM launches in 64 bit mode it also uses the 64 bit version of IE. That's why I asked about the version of Windows. I have the same issue with my own CHM files.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that's a problem then.  Yes, it is 64-bit win 7.

Any workarounds at all?  I can run videos outside the CHM with a bit of JavaScript, but am having trouble with WebHelp displaying MP4s on Linux.

<sigh>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jack DeLand wrote:

Any workarounds at all?

You mean besides stating that folks only use the CHM on 32 bit systems or offering instructions on how to launch the 32 bit help viewer?

I do suppose you could use the Shortcut control to open an instance of Internet Explorer with the Captivate page. But that would require ensuring the Captivate SWF and associated files (HTML, JS) were shipped and installed to the same folder as the CHM file. And depending on how your CHM was launched, you might need to script the path to the file because of the CHM pathing bug you see when a CHM is launched by an application.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick -

Argh. Now I have to un-recommend Captivate to the boss.  Not pleasant.

OK, I should start another thread on Linux WebHelp....

Thanks much,

Jack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I'd be un-recommending chms - they're as old as the hills now & look it too! ;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perish the thought!

As old as the venerable CHM files are, they still hold lots of value and offer things no other format does.

• They are playable on pretty much any Windows operating system in existence with no additional software installed
  • You can use them to open applications on the PC
  • You can store other content inside them
  • They are instantly familiar to folks

I'd hate to see the CHM format suddenly die, nor do I believe that their death is imminent.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Plus, they instantly identify your application as really old too!

;>)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp