• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash with no GPU acceleration and good quality, how?

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I'm using ATI Radeon hd4890OC @ 150/200 in force 2D mode with Ati Tray Tools. With catalyst 11.8 driver.

I want to get rid off only the GPU accelerator, or force it to use my CPU also. Because with this downclock, it's crashing all the time, when I open 2 youtube videos at least 480p+720p.

Message says: Amd Driver did not respond, but successfully recovered. (only in Flash 10-11, not in 9)

http://i.imgur.com/A2STF.png

1.png

Everything is perfect in Flash 9, but when I installed Flash 10, it started crashing, tried to ask for help on other forums, they said:

right click on flash -> settings -> uncheck "Hardware acceleration"

Of course it stopped crashing, but the quality of videos dropped down, check the 2 images:

With Flash Player 9-10-11rc (Hardware acceleration ON) Check the edges of stars, or the fonts on top left, they are smooth.

http://i.imgur.com/XKxg1.jpg

1680.png

With Flash Player 10-11rc (Hardware acceleration OFF) Check the edges of stars, or the fonts on top left, they are serrated.

http://i.imgur.com/bCjDt.png

1679.png

1) With Flash Player 9, which doesn't have GPU acceleration ( Hardware acceleration ON ), it has a smooth (just like 9-10-11rc) quality, 3-4 1080p youtube videos in the same time work perfectly, CPU using is around 70-80%~, but no crash, no lagg, it is perfect.

2) With FlashPlayer 10-11rc, does have GPU acceleration ( Hardware Acceleration ON ), two 720p videos in the same time, crash in 5-7 seconds. Nice quality, but impossible to use it.

3) With FlashPlyer 10-11rc, does have GPU acceleration ( Hardware Acceleration OFF ), no GPU use, only CPU, 3-4 1080p videos without lagg, 70-80%~ cpu usage. No crash, no lagg, but it has a terrible quality.

Tried to use Flash Player 9, but few flash games/players required the latest flash player. So now I'm stuck, because I do not want to use my GPU at a higher clock, because it has +30-40W power consumption and +10°C temperature, and can't use Flash9, because few pages need the newest flashplayer.

The main problem is, with Flash Player 10 and 11, they want to use ONLY GPU, and even if the GPU is at 100%, they keep trying to force use it, and they are too lazy to ask CPU to help a bit, so it just kill my AMD driver in no time.

Any1 has a pro idea, what should I do, to use Flash with gpu downclock? (be green)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only setting to toggle HW acceleration is the one that you've toggled in the settings dialog.  Are you seeing these crashes with the card's default clock speed?

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But there must be another, since Flash9 does not have GPU acceleration, but it has checkable Hardware acceleration box. And with FlashPlayer 9 it is nice and smooth. (but can't use because some pages need flash 10).

But with Flash 10-11 the youtube videos are really ugly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 22, 2011 Sep 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Merwenuska,

We are investigating on this issue right now. May I ask one quick question?

Have you tried uncheck HW acceleration in flash player settings UI when play video in FP9? Is the video quality worse with hw off with FP11 as compared to hw off with FP9?

Thanks!

Yan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2011 Sep 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Installed FlashPlayer 9. All the pictures are almost lossless PNG.

No hardware acceleration, bad quality YT. Check the edge of the stars, or the numbers bottom left and right.

1724.png

1723.png

Hardware acceleration ON, smooth buttons, but with FP9, there is no title on pause top left, this is just 1 reason why I want to use FP10 or FP11, without GPU acceleration, but nice quality.

1726.png

As you can see, with FlashPlayer 9, only CPU is working, and the VGA driver is not crashing with 4! 720p youtube videos (all 4 playing in the same time). Still, with hardware acceleration, the quality is good, and smooth. All I want is an option to turn off gpu acceleration for Flash 11 just like they way Flash 9 was.

1727.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2011 Sep 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news about it? 2 weeks past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 05, 2011 Oct 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Merwenuska,

The poor image quality only happens in Fullscreen correct?  I am wondering which version of Flash Player 9 and Firefox you are using.  I ask because I just tried with Flash Player 9 r124 and with HW disabled I got the same poor image quality in Fullscreen that FP 10 and 11 have.  Starting in FP9 we began using the GPU for fullscreen scaling and anti-aliasing, so I am wondering how FP9 with HW acceleration turned off is giving you a good quality image.

Thanks,

Charbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2011 Oct 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HD4890OC 150/200mhz downclock, W7x64, AMD 11.9

1) FP9 Hardware ON NO Crash good quality

2) FP10-11 Hardware ON  CRASH  -  good quality

3) FP9 - Hardware OFF  NO Crash bad quality

4) FP10-11 - Hardware OFF  NO Crash bad quality

Used the latest FP 9 which is downloadable from adobes site. The main problem is, with FP10-11, with HW Acceleration, Flash crashes, but FP9 works fine!

As I know, FP10.1 is the first Flash Player with GPU Acceleration, that means FP9 doesn't use GPU acceleration. Thats what my idea come from, to use HW acceleration like FP9, but without GPU acceleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for clarifying that.  We actually did use GPU Acceleration for fullscreen only in FP9.  We used an api called DirectDraw which probably had better integration with your custom setup.  Starting in FP10 we deprecated DirectDraw and moved to DirectX which provided a number of benefits over DirectDraw.  Unfortunatly we cannot support both as the overhead of 2 completely different rendering paths is not viable to maintain.  I am sorry but the crash that is occuring for you most likely lies between the graphics driver and DirectX, which would be very difficult for us to fix.  You may want to verify that you have the latest gpu drivers and DirectX installed just to rule that out.

Also, do you get crashing while using any other hw accelerated applications?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is crasshing only because of Flash, have the latest DirectX and Ati Driver also (non-beta driver).

Tried to play games on 150/200, worked fine (of course at low FPS), also ran Furmark for few minutes, nothing happened. Played some movie with Potplayer+running Furmark Stability Test in the same time at 150/200mhz (100%GPU for 3 minutes), no crash or error at all. (bottom right is a little part of the movie of potplayer)

1870.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered a different, but somewhat related problem:

On three different business computers, which are used for office work only and don't have high-end graphics cards (all Intel onboard graphics), starting with Flash Player 11, Fullscreen modes started to look ugly.

This problem occurs regardless of the "Enable Hardware acceleration" checkboxes turned on or off. It did NOT occur in Flash Player 10!

It seems that the scaling of a "FullscreenRect" which is not the same size as the screen (often used for low-res video players in websites, product videos etc. - because of the much much better performance) is no longer done using a bilinear or bicubic interpolation, but rather via pixel doubling. If the screen size is not an integer multiple of the fullscreenRect, some pixels are tripled, some doubled, some only displayed once. This looks very ugly, it's the same look as depicted in the pictures above.

Maybe it has to do with the aforementioned change from DirectDraw to DirectX - but then why did this start to happen for me ONLY from FP 11 on? FP 10 looked perfect! Maybe the parameters telling DirectX to use a smooth (interpolated) scaling are wrongly set in FP 11?

I would really highly appreciate if some Adobe team member could have a look into this issue, as it really looks ugly and I reverted to FP 10.3r183.10 for now...

Best regards,

Fabian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi fabianswebworld, do you have a link to some media that reproduces the issue?  I will look into it.  You can email me directly at aaronc@adobe.com.  Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still have nearest neighbor instead of bilinear or bicubic scaling without hardware acceleration in Firefox Flash YouTube.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Given that this thread is a little over a year old, I'd recommend opening a new thread and bug report over at bugbase.adobe.com.  When reporting this issue, please see this post for additional details that we'll need.

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/video-playback-issues.html

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 20, 2013 Feb 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My comments are moved to https://github.com/mirror/flash/issues/1 (for the reason given in that page)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines