2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2011 2:05 AM by David Ben RSS

"Edit in" Dialogue no longer appears in LR3.5-- Did i miss something?

David Ben Community Member

After updating to LR3.5 I noticed when choosing the "edit in"option, I no longer see the dialogue to choose wether or not I wanted to "edit a copy"--"edit original" or "edit copy with lightroom adjustments". 

Was this a feature removed for LR3.5? A preference I accidentally turned off? or a Bug. 

Working on a Windows 7 (64 version) Machine with Lightroom 3.5 installed.  

• 1. Re: "Edit in" Dialogue no longer appears in LR3.5-- Did i miss something?
          David Lingard Community Member

That's interesting, I'm on Vista 32 bit and have PS CS2 still installed along with CS5. If I choose to edit in CS2 then I get the expected screen with the options you mention. If I choose CS5 then it skips the screen and launches Photoshop (CS5) and opens the image; not what I would expect.

• 2. Re: "Edit in" Dialogue no longer appears in LR3.5-- Did i miss something?
            David Ben Community Member

Thank you for the reply.  Its good to know i am not the only person seeing this.  I did confirm your observation.  I have both PSCS5 and PSCS5.1 installed.  PS CS5.1 is automatically made the default editor and i have linked CS5 in as the custom alternate.  When choosing to edit in the custom alternate the "edit in" dialogue appears-- when using the Default CS5.1-- no dialogue appears.

EDIT:  With A little more research I did find out that everything is working as it should-- The Default Editor is not meant to show the "edit in" dialogue and will always apply whatever lightroom adjustments you have made (flattening the image to whatever format you choose in the preferences) -- you can however have full camera raw editability by choosing "open as a smart object" which will allow you to open up the RAW format within Camera Raw from Photoshop. 

You can also have the "default" editor also saved as a custom external editor -- saving it as a preset-- and selecting the preset -- which will bring up the "edit in" dialogue.