• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't install Flash Player or Reader, PERIOD.

Oct 11, 2011 Oct 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I recently had a REALLY nasty trojan on my home (and only) computer and just had to reformat my harddrive because it was just THAT bad.  These things happen, etc, so I re-installed all of my drivers, you know the drill, I'd imagine.

I'm running Windows XP (the home edition) 32 bits with Service Pack 3.  If any additional information is required, I'll do my best to provide it.

My problem is that I can't download Flash Player (or Adobe Reader, but perhaps I should start a seperate thread for that - however, I suspect that the problem has a common cause).  Every time I try to, I get the error message "Failed to Initialize".

First I followed every single trouble-shooting step on the Trouble-shooting page.  I removed Adobe Reader 6 point . . . something - whatever it was that was on my recovery discs.

I am running Internet Explorer 8 (again, the 32 bit version) and Firefox . . . 7?   The newest one, anyway.

At first I suspected the culprit could be my new antivirus software - BitDefender 2012.  I tried to disable it first - nothing - just the error message.  I went so far as to un-install it, attempt to download Flash Player and Adobe Reade, got the exact same error message, and re-installed my anti-virus software because, well, leaving it off just didn't make sense.

I've been able to download Google Chrome (which comes with Flash Playter, of course), but that's a stop-gap solution at best.  I want Flash Player on ALL of my browsers (and I want Adobe Reader, too).  My little brother is autistic and he uses it to play various little games and things on NickJr.com or PBSkids.org with Internet Explorer.  Not to mention it makes accessing Youtube or whatever else a colossal pain when Chrome isn't my preferred browser (not that there's anything WRONG with it, I just want the option of using the others).

This is driving me absolutely up the wall.

I thank you in advance for any assistance,

Emily

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i can't speak for reader, but you can download the flash installer(s) in this FAQ: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3952360

it includes direct links rather than using aih, which people are experiencing issues with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Get the Adobe Reader installer from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines