• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

auto-sized pop-ups differ in IE8 and IE9 - how to fix?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same generated help - one is opened with IE8 and one is opened with IE9. the IE9 version keeps truncating the pop-up windows so the last line cannot be seen, and there is a warning/error sign in the status bar. Why? How can we fix this? Again, it is the same generated output from WebHelp, just one is opened using IE8 and one is opened using IE9.

Here is an example: When opening with IE8, you can see that the popup window looks normal, all the text can be seen, and there is a "done" in the status bar, left side.

WebHelpPopUp4IE8.gif

BUT - when you look at the same topic in the same webhelp, using IE9, you get this - with a truncated popup box, not all the text can be seen and the status bar says "Done!" - indicating that something didn't work right...

WebHelpPopUp4IE9.gif

What is happening, why and how can we fix it?

Thanks for any ideas.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 08, 2011 Oct 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the Before You Post sticky topic that is on every forum and start all threads with the version and edition of RoboHelp that you are using. Problems and answers and answers are often version specific.

There were a number of problems with popups in RoboHelp 8 as described in Item 20 at http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh8/using_rh8.htm. Most likely an extra blank line after the text will fix the display.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2011 Oct 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies about that. I guess when one is in panic mode about a problem, one doesn't read the fine print.

I am using TCS 3 (Technical Communication Suite 3), which happens to have RoboHelp 9.

I was hoping there was a better technical answer to why the pop-ups were not being sized correctly - like the .js files had an error or a parameter that was incorrect...adding a blank line "fixes" things for this moment, with a lot of manual time and effort, but for the next release or bug fix or patch, then I might just have to spend the same amount of time in the undo mode? Or adding yet another line?

Stranger thing is - it displays perfectly fine using Google Chrome. However, we cannot mandate that all of our users install and use Google Chrome. I believe a majority of them use IE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry it is not a better technical answer, it's often not possible without Adobe's resources and in those cases all we can do here is offer workarounds. What you describe was a RoboHelp 8 problem and I cannot recall if it was fixed in 8 or 9 but it was fixed, seemingly only until IE9 came along though. Different browsers do behave in different ways and I now automatically but a blank line at the end of everything. If it is needed, it is needed and if not, it does no harm.

I wish this were the only problem IE9 caused.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found two things that made the problem go away:

1. When generating the WebHelp output, I had the check box selected for deleting and replacing the output. However, pop-up files were not being deleted. I totally cleared my output directory and regenerated to get rid of the ancient files that were hanging out and not being deleted even though I had that check box selected.
  2. I found in Tools | Options that there is a check box for "Convert RoboHelp-edited topics to HTML". This was NOT selected, and I noticed that the current topics that were generated had a very different heading in the file than the previously generated topics from my RoboHelp 8 project. On a whim, I selected that check box.

I regenerated WebHelp.

The result - no old files hanging around in the output directory, no more javascript errors in the status bar when trying to view a pop-up, the pop-ups are sized correctly and the heading in the output files are just like they were in RoboHelp 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Very curious about what you are referring to when you said:

1. When generating the WebHelp output, I had the check box selected for deleting and replacing the output. However, pop-up files were not being deleted. I totally cleared my output directory and regenerated to get rid of the ancient files that were hanging out and not being deleted even though I had that check box selected.

Can you post a screen capture of that option? I'm not aware of any such option and have been using RoboHelp for nearly 20 years. As you may imagine, I'm a bit puzzled by your mention of it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I'd be happy to show you. Maybe it doesn't do what I think it should do on purpose...I've only been using RH for 10 years.

1. In an open project, select File, then select Generate, then select Primary Layout (that is my scenario - and Primary Layout for me is WebHelp).

2. In the WebHelp Settings dialog box that is now visible, select the Publish link from the left pane. In the right pane, you should see under the Options, a check box next to something called "Republish All". RepublishAll.gif

I made the mistake of thinking that "Republish All" meant clearing the output directory and loading it up with all new files. What is actually done is a replace of existing files, and if a file has been deleted, it remains in the output directory. At least that is what it appeared to be doing in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again and thanks for posting the screen capture.

You threw me when you said: When generating the WebHelp output, I had the check box selected for deleting and replacing the output.

Here's why. Each time you generate your output, the behavior you describe is simply the behavior RoboHelp has. There is nothing to turn off or on. Wherever your output folder is, the first step is always for RoboHelp to clear it and delete any content before creating new content. That's precisely why defining the ultimate destination for your WebHelp as the output folder is such a bad idea. Folks may be using the files and you yank the rug out from beneath them (so to speak).

What you are describing is a feature related to soemthing entirely different than generating. And it's a common misunderstanding that folks have when we talk of Generating VS Publishing.

And the behavior you finally describe here is spot on. In any RoboHelp class I facilitate I make the following initial statement when we examine the properties of the Publishing section.

The publishing process of RoboHelp NEVER deletes files from the server. If you need to ensure files are deleted, that will be a separate and manual process you perform later.

Seldom do you want to use the Republish All feature. It will slow your process incredibly. The way publishing is intended to work is this. Of course, the first time you perform a publish it is the same as having Republish All selected. But subsequent publish actions are MUCH faster as only the files that have actually changed are copied. So the first time through may take 45 minutes to accomplish while subsequent publish cycles may take all of 20 seconds.

Hopefully this was helpful... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2011 Oct 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Rick and Peter for explaining. Very helpful information to know. I never even thought about calling the process I was doing a "Publishing" process because I was selecting the Generate option, generating the output to be loaded into our software application. I will have to revise my terminology.   I wonder if there is a way to generate without publishing? or republish without generating. Or does the Generate always do both?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

If you carefully think about it, generate doesn't really do both. The process of generating usually ends with a dialog where you must click a button labeled "Publish" in order to cause the content to be copied over.

As I explained earlier, many folks TRY to eliminate the second step by simply defining the ultimate destination to be where you generate to. They do this by specifying the server location in that first dialog where you choose the output folder. But that's a horrible idea for the reasons I mentioned. Not only that, but assuming it would work without a hitch, the process would be awfully slow.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never published. That button cannot be selected when my generate finishes.

RH9noPublish.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What we missed was that you are selecting and discussing options that appear in the Publish settings but you have not set up a publish location. Without that, any settings are of no effect.

What you generate, all the content in the target folder is deleted. It is not the same as publishing. One important thing to note is that you must generate to a local folder. That content must then be moved to the server by whatever means you choose, often done by the developers but can be done by you. Various methods exist and publishing is one.

You should not generate direct to the server hosting the help. I am not saying it is the cause of your problem but I am also not saying it isn't.

Now tell us more about where you generate to and how it gets to the server.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I generate to a directory on my local drive, my "C" drive.

2. I run a script that jars the output.

3. I copy that jar to a shared directory.

4. I notify our build manager that new help is ready.

5. The build manager puts the jar into source control and goes through the build process.

This process has been working for the last 11 years and it is still working like a charm today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I might add too that, I have confirmed that all of the contents of the target folder are NOT deleted when you generate. If a file is no longer part of the project, it remained in the output folder. Only current files from the project were deleted and replaced in the target folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just generated a three topic project and check all three topics were in the webhelp. I then tagged one and excluded it from the build. It was no longer in the folder.

I also deleted a topic from Project Manager and created another build. The deleted topic was no longer in the output folder.

The files you are saying are no longer in the project, can you confirm they are no longer showing in Project Manager?

One thing I did do in testing was just drop a file into the generate folder from outside RoboHelp and that was not wiped.

Try it with a simple test project if you don't believe me. It is possible something changed along the way but the above test seems to confirm it still works the way that Rick and I believe.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It was a pop-up text file. The old was saved as (0) and the new was (1). Maybe it was an upgrade issue or something. I have resolved the problem by deleting everything from that output folder. There are no more old files hanging out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SaundraLD wrote:

I found in Tools | Options that there is a check box for "Convert RoboHelp-edited topics to HTML". This was NOT selected, and I noticed that the current topics that were generated had a very different heading in the file than the previously generated topics from my RoboHelp 8 project. On a whim, I selected that check box.

That suggests that somewhere in your code there is something that does not meet the more exacting standards of XHMTL but is OK as HTML. It might be worth running Tools > Update DHTML effects. As it changes your code, try it in a backup first.

If you did that at the same time as step one, it maybe that alone was the problem and this check box is a red herring. Always best to change one thing at a time, maybe you did.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That suggests that somewhere in your code there is something that does not meet the more exacting standards of XHMTL but is OK as HTML.

LOL, or it suggests that IE9 does something wrong. IE has a long history of crappyness and IE9 is not much of an improvement

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Willam, that is of course a possible alternative explanation.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My process for getting through this was mostly a one step at a time generation approach:

1. The original, before upgrading to RH9.

2. Upgraded to RH9, generate. Not looking so good.

3. Ran Tools > Update DHTML effects, generate. Still not looking so good.

4. Checked the javascript files that came with RH9 against those that came with RH8 for any pop-up window frame sizing differences. Came up with nothing.

5. Hunted around different forums looking for something that might give me some more information about what is different.

6. Checked the output pop-up file from RH9 against the RH8 file and found that the heading of the files looked very different.

7. Hunted around some more and found reference to an HTML check box.

8. Selected that check box, generated again and the RH9 output files had the same heading as the RH8 output files.

9. Put the help into the code and it worked just like it used to.

My biggest mistake was not starting by looking at the headings in the output files. I started from the back-end generation viewpoint, because that is where we have had problems in the past whenever we upgrade.

Thanks for all your support. I am very glad there are forums like these to search through when problems arise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Republish All is commonly misunderstood. It has to be taken very literally. It just resends all the files your output requires to the server, without that option it only sends changed files. What it does not do is delete anything that is no longer required.

In other words if the same filename is in the current output, be it a topic or some RoboHelp internal file, it will be republished even if the file has not changed but it will do nothing more than that.

In some scenerios that is desirable but another option to clear out the target location would be good for those who do need it.

Please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp