• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you Associate VB 6 to Robohelp files?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2006 Sep 03, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS = Windows XP Pro, SP2, Visual Basic 6 Enterprise Edition
I had am earlier post yesday: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?forumid=65&catid=447&threadid=1189580&e...

I create test Help files using Microsoft Compiled HTML Help. Now I have a bunch of files and directories.

How do I connect these files to my VB application? I want to be able to access them through the HELP menu or via the "F1" key.

Are there any samples or written description on how to do this? I did a seach on "connecting to VB" and came up empty.

Thanks for your help.
Sam

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 05, 2006 Sep 05, 2006
Hey folks, this old man finally got the connection made between a .chn file and a VB 6 application. Leon/Rick the Context Sensistive Help documention was extremely helpful. I have to admit, the topics I created for testing were very basic ; just one or two lines of text with no fancy editing, links, etc. As I progress, I WILL BE BACK.

Thanks to all ( Colum/Rick/Leon ) for all your help and patience.

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sam

Give the following a look/see and see if any of it helps.

Fellow Microsoft Help MVP David Liske's site

Cheers.. Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick:
quote:

Fellow Microsoft Help MVP David Liske's site

Everything I'm reading references MSGHOOK1. Is this an API? If so, I can't find the DECLARE statement.

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2006 Sep 04, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS = Windows XP Pro, SP2, Visual Basic 6 Enterprise Edition

Hey Folks:

I am going to try and sum up my other post here so you don't need to scroll up and down.
I don't know whether I am having "Senior moments" or I just plan stupid but I am having a problem associating a VB 6 application with Robohelp files.

I created HELP files using RoboHelp Project Type: Microsoft Compiled HTML Help. Now I have a bunch of files and a few directories that were "generated".

I wrote a very small VB 6 application that contains 1 form ( 1-textbox and 2 command buttons). No modules--very simple and basic code. Via the VB Project Menu, I did not add any References or Components.

How do I connect the VB application to the Help Files? If I put focus on one of the command buttons and pressed the "F1" key, how does it know to show the HELP window and bring up Topic "Command Button1".

Are there any modules that need to be added to the project? I am just totally lost. If you have the patience and can hand-hold me through the first one, I would be forever grateful.

Thank You,
Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 05, 2006 Sep 05, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're generating Microsoft Compiled HTML Help, how come you "now...have a bunch of files and a few directories that were 'generated'"? That sounds like Webhelp output.

The RH help has a complete section on context-sensitive help. Have you looked there, yet?

(Rick, I already scolded him for the duplicate post in the HTML Help forum, so take it easy on him.)

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon:

I don't know if you're kidding around or not but if you are not, I don't see any duplicate post. I thought this forum was here to help people like myself who just don't understand the product. I went to and read the locations Rick sent me to and I still do not understand.

If you or Rick mistook the above post as a "duplicate", it was not meant to be that way.

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sam. What Leon was referring to was the other identical post made to the Robohelp HTML forum. Whether this appeared there by design or some freakish technological coincidence is the question. It is against the forums' rules to post in more than one place. I believe Leon was making this point in a humourous fashion. Anyway if you tell us which piece of the link you don't understand we'll see if we can help further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do apologize. I did realize it was the same BBS however, I felt my original post on this forum(General Forum), was put on the wrong one and should have been placed elsewhere (HTML Forum). I will leave it here.

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that you're convinced I'm a wild & crazy guy, let's get you squared away.

Back to my first reply: are you generating HTML Help or Webhelp, and have you fully read and digested the RH help on context-sensitive treatments?

Come back with more details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon:
quote:

Come back with more details
Let me get back to you later on this and I'll tell you why. I try my best to do things on my own. I learn better that way. The original set of files I was talking about might have been generated under the wrong Project Type. Trying to practice using Robohelp, I deleted them. I want to regenerate them and I also need to read your suggestion "Contact Sensitive Help"

Did you see my original Post under General Formus Title: "What Project type should I use?" dataed 9/02/2006 at 12:20. Rick suggested I use .chm format. ( I was going to copy the post here but that would be duplication!!!!!!!) ha-ha I got you back.

In all seriousness, I do appreciate everyones help and patience. For some reason I have a mental block on RoboHelp and I need to get over it. Hopefully, you senior folks will bear with me.
Thanks,
Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hey folks, this old man finally got the connection made between a .chn file and a VB 6 application. Leon/Rick the Context Sensistive Help documention was extremely helpful. I have to admit, the topics I created for testing were very basic ; just one or two lines of text with no fancy editing, links, etc. As I progress, I WILL BE BACK.

Thanks to all ( Colum/Rick/Leon ) for all your help and patience.

Sam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp