31 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2011 8:00 AM by Noel Carboni RSS

Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

larrydart

I've got Photoshop CS5 extended and run Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. All fully updated.

I've been using this Photoshop/Windows setup without any problems for well over a year.

Then last week I started having intermittent problems opening images in Photoshop. Whether I try to open them from Bridge, Windows Explorer or using File-Open in Photoshop nothing happens. Photoshop itself opens ok but that's as far as it goes. Even if it's already open nothing happens. The images I try to open are subsequently listed in 'Open recent'. But that's all I get.

File type doesn't matter .psd, .tiff, .jpeg etc the result is the same. 32 bit or 64 bit Photoshop the same. The images open fine in other viewing/editing programs

I have reset the preferences at startup.

Yesterday I completely uninstalled Photoshop then re-installed it. Made no difference.

This morning everything was fine. I shut down Photoshop and did something else for a couple of hours. When I opened Photoshop again I couldn't open any images again once more.

The only thing that seems to solve it is re-booting the PC. Which is making me think that there's a temporary cache or registry setting somewhere that's misbehaving or being corrupted in some way. But that's just a guess.

To the best of my knowledge I haven't done anything that I can think of that would have created this issue.

To say it's driving me nuts at times is an understatement.

I do have quite a few plugins installed but have not added/updated any for months. I only tend to use the same two or three and when I can get an image to open they work fine.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

• 1. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!
          Noel Carboni Community Member

One place to look for clues is in your Windows event logs.

To do so, click the Start orb and type view in the search box.  When Event Viewer comes up, click it.

Look especially in the Windows Logs - System log to see if you're having disk problems.  There may be a lot of Information messages to scroll through, but try to match the time of the log entries to one of the occurrences of a file open failure.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!
            Mylenium CommunityMVP

Which is making me think that there's a temporary cache or registry setting somewhere that's misbehaving or being corrupted in some way.

Probably not. Either your graphics card is acting up (not flushing its onboard memory) or you generally simply run out of temporary disk space. Explains both phenomena quite sufficiently and reasonably, as in both cases stuff only fills up after a given time of computer usage. Check your graphics driver, defragment and clean out your hard drive (user temp directory in particular).

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

A recovery possibility, and you'll want to think carefully about this, is doing a System Restore to a time last week when you know you weren't having problems.  I say think carefully, because you will lose system changes, etc. that you have made since then, and may have to reinstall or reupdate any software you've recently installed or updated.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!
                larrydart Community Member

Thanks Mylenium, what you say sounds like it's something like that.

I use two additional internal hard drives (1TB and a 500GB as scratch disks, both of which are over 80% unused), not the Windows C: drive. There were quite few temporary files from Photoshop on both these drives from various dates. I've deleted them all. Also Windows spins down these drives to save power(?) after a while, but it's always done that so can't see that's the problem.

Is there still a temporary folder somewhere on C: drive?

I will check the graphics card driver, I'm not experiencing any other graphics related issues though.

I'll defrag, I did clean ou the user temp directory yesterday before I re-installed Photoshop.

• 5. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

Thanks for all your help. I've checked my fragmentation level and it's ok. Installed the latest graphics driver, uninstalled some plugins that I haven't used in ages. So far everything seems to be OK. Just have to put it down to "one of those things".

• 6. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!
                    Hobotor Community Member

Most probably your graphics card driver. Your files get listed in the "recently opened"box, so PS does open them. My guess is some openGL issue.

• 7. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

I think it must be something like that. My graphics driver is up to date. I'll just have to monitor the situation and keep trying stuff if it crops up again.

• 8. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

Ok, I'm still experienceing this problem. I've done all the things I've been advised to do and nothing has changed.

However I have discovered that when I am unable to open images I am also unable to open Color Settings. I click on it under Edit and nothing happens. If anyone has an idea whether these could be linked then I'd appreciate it. All other Preferences open OK.

I had a saved color profile that I've now deleted. I've re-booted again and can access Color Settings and open images once more.

• 9. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

larrydart wrote:

I had a saved color profile that I've now deleted. I've re-booted again and can access Color Settings and open images once more.

At the OS level, or in Photoshop?

-Noel

• 10. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

Hi Noel

In Photoshop. It was the color settings in C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Color\Settings. It didn't make any difference, I opened Photoshop again and couldn't open images or access color settings.

As soon as I re-booted i was able to do both again.

I'm almost at the stage of formatting the drive and re-installing Windows, so that I have a real fresh start.

This is so annoying because I just cannot think of anything I've done in the last week that could have caused this.

• 11. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

Just a thought, but before going to such drastic measures, maybe try an older display driver?

As of right now what video card do you have and what version of the driver are you running?

-Noel

• 12. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

I'll give that a try.

It's an ATI Radeon HD 5750 and the driver version is 8.892.0.0, Catalyst Version 11.9. When this problem first raised its ugly head I was using the preceding version 11.8.

I've now download 11.7 and 11.6 and will start with 11.7 to see how that goes.

• 13. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

My wife's PC has very similar hardware to mine and she is running Photoshop without any problems. She has an ATI Radeon HD 5670 card but is using the up to date driver, version 8.892.0.0, Catalyst Version 11.9.

One thing I did notice that was different was that her Catalyst Control Centre shows her Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16 whereas mine showed X8, yet the card is fitted to the X16 slot..

I did install a USB 3.0 PCIe card in the other PCI Express X8 slot early last week. It was the only other slot on my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4) that was PCIe 2.0. I've just removed that card and my Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 is now X16.

Whether that is the root of the problem I don't know, but will see how things go today. So I've left my graphics driver unchanged at this time; otherwise we won't know which change made the difference (if any).

• 14. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

I'm using 11.9 at the moment and it seems stable - 11.8 was definitely responsible for some problems, and I can say that 11.7 worked VERY well for 2 months (I almost immediately backed down from the 11.8 upgrade because of problems I saw).

Hm, I'm not sure what might be going on re: that X8 vs. X16 stuff.  For what it's worth mine shows PCI Express 2.0 x16 (I have a 5670).

-Noel

• 15. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

As I understand it after a little research if you plug a card into the X8 slot it splits the bandwidth between that and the X16 slot. So the X16 is reduced to X8. Beyond that my knowledge ends.

Adding the USB 3.0 card was the only change I could remember making immediately prior to encountering this issue with Photoshop.

The only other thing was that I was using Nik Silver Efex 2.0 and a couple of times I got the sequence wrong and tried to save before applying which did freeeze both Photoshop and Bridge. But my subsequent removal and re-install of Photoshop and plugins would surely have corrected any damage that may have caused. I did make sure that all Photoshop and Adobe products were completely removed from my system before re-installing.

• 16. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!
                                        Hobotor Community Member

So did you try disabling opengl?

• 17. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

Sorry about the lack of response, but I decided to take drastic action. I re-installed Windows and all my Adobe products. Everything (Windows, Photoshop, Graphics driver) is updated, activated and it hasn't solved anything!

After 1st boot of the day everything works in Photoshop. I can close it and re-open it and it works. Then if I close it and do something else for a couple of hours or so I can open Photoshop but it refuses to display any images, they still show in Open Recent even though they didn't show on the screen. Along with no images displaying, if I click on Color Settings under Edit nothing happens, so the two issues are linked. It happens at the same time in the same way in both 64bit and 32bit Photoshop.

I've tried with OpenGL on and off, tinkered with Preferences, used old graphics drivers and the latest.

I have discovered that I don't need to re-boot the machine, just log out and log back in again and everything's fine. But there doesn't seem to be anything I do, not do, that I can think of, replicate, that causes the issue. It seems to happen when it happens after a non specific period of time of Photoshop being closed. There has to be something causing it, but I've run out of ideas.

My wife has not encountered any issues, she has nearly identical hardware/software (her graphics card is an ATI HD 5600 series, mine is a 5700). Otherwise everything else is the same, and the same plugins in Photoshop. The only difference is she has version 12.04 and I am using 12.1.

I'm now at a complete loss as to what to do apart from downgrading to 12.04.

I'm not experiencing any other issues with any other hardware/software.

• 18. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

What profile, specifically, is associated with your monitor?  Click Start, type color in the search box, click Color Management when it comes up.

Have you tried temporarily associating a known good profile, such as the sRGB profile provided by Windows, with the monitor?  This is the normal default by Windows, but some monitors cause the installation of alternate ones.

-Noel

• 19. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

Hi again Noel

I calibrate the monitor using a Datacolor Spyder3 unit. It loads the calibrated profile into the graphics card at system start. I will try using another profile but I've been using the Datacolor profile for a long time. Well before this particular issue came along to haunt me.

• 20. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

Probably worth a try, inasmuch as the Color Settings dialog is one that fails.

-Noel

• 21. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!
                                                  BillTheCat52

I belleve that I have exactly the same problem. I use a fully updated CS5/Camra Raw on WIn 7 64-bit. Other than Windows updates and the recent update to Camra Raw, nothing has changed on my system for quite some time. My symptoms are:

1. When attempting to use Bridge to open PSD files created on my machine, PS opens but no picture is loaded. The imgae can not be loaded from inside PS using the File menu.
                                                  2. I am unable to access Edit/Color Settings in PS
                                                  3. If I attempt open a CR2 RAW image from Bridge by double clicking on it, PS opens without opening Camera Raw and no image is loaded
                                                  4. If I attempt to open the same file using the menus (File/Open with Camera Raw) the file appears in Camera Raw.
                                                  5. Images that I can see full screen in Bridge will not open in PS.
                                                  6. Rebooting seems to make the problem go away for a while. More testing is necessary.
                                                  7. My C: drive had only a 5 Gig of space left. I increased that to 10 Gig, which may have helped.

In the course of a day I may open hundred of files, although not usually in photo shop. It sure feels like a cashe file is filling up somewhere, but I have no idea where or what....

• 22. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

Well, it's soom consolation to know it looks like I'm not alone. Maybe we're paying the price of making sure everything is updated on time.

BillTheCat -  I have 377GB free on my C: drive and use two internal 1TB drives as Photoshop scratch disks.

I'm starting to think that an update, Windows and or Adobe, has caused this on machines with particular and similar hardware/software configurations.

But I have to agree it does feel like either a cache is not getting cleared.

I'm going to post on the Microsoft and Windows forums to get a clearer idea of what gets cleared at log off/re-start that could be linked to Photoshop and other programs.

• 23. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!
                                                      BillTheCat52 Community Member

Larry,

I'm just glad you realized that rebooting corrects the problem at least temporarialy. You also saved me from doing an apparently futile reinstall....

The Adobe updates are a little suspicious, but I'm still inclined to blame a CS5 buffer configuration issue. I'm a Photoshop novice and inclined to tweek knobs I don't fully understand. The files that are giving me problems all seem to be 50+ Meg.

If I discover anything, I'll report back.

• 24. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

You guys should try to find out what hardware you use, software you have installed, or configuration settings you've made that you have in common.

It doesn't do what you're seeing for most folks, as we haven't seen other reports of this here.

For example:

What video card are you using?   (Larry has an ATI Radeon HD 5750)

What display driver version?  (Larry has tried 11.9 and a few others)

What antivirus software do you use?

What Photoshop plug-ins do you have installed?

Etc.

-Noel

• 25. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

My AV is Norton Internet Security, though when this problem appeared I was using Microsoft Security Essentials

At this time I haven't any 3rd party plugins installed, as I am trying Photoshop without to try and rule out plugins. I have Nik complete Collection which along with Knoll Light Light Factory 3.5 would be my only 3rd party plugins. I also have a mass of brushes that I am not even going to try and list, but they're not in the Presets at this time. I'm trying to use as vanilla an install as I can to try and elminate outside influences.

I have the settings in Photoshop set to default, apart from changing the scratch disks to two internal drives (D: & E:) not C:, my units are set to inches and I have Prophoto set as the default colour space with the options set to ask, but that's it. It's never been any different since I started using Photoshop years ago.

I also have Adobe Illustrator, Indesign and Dreamweaver installed along with Acrobat X.

My Win 7 install is pretty much vanilla. I have set a Copy To and Move To option that I use in the Explorer context menu. I don't use the Aero desktop, just Win 7 basic. I have MS Office 2010 Professional, Corel Painter 12, Cyberlink PowerDVD 10, Ashampoo Burning Studio 10, Dynamic Auto Painter(for fun), Shark 007 multimedia codecs, STALKER Call of Pripyat, HP/ Epson printer drivers only, Epson Scan, 7zip 64bit, CCleaner, and that is it.

I use IE9, not an add on browser and when I fancy some music I use WMP 12.

• 26. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

OK, I think I have found the culprit. I am quite certain the problem lies in Adobe Bridge. I have found that if I open Bridge I can open maybe two or three images in Photoshop directly from Bridge. After that I select the image in Bridge and either double click on it or press enter and Photoshop opens but no image shows.

I've downloaded and installed Faststone Image Viewer and have been opening images for the last hour or so via that in Photoshop without any such issues.

So if anyone can give me a clue as to what if anything I can do about this I'd appreciate it. I was using Bridge without a hitch up till a couple of weeks ago.

I understand that I can't sync colour unless I'm using Creative Suite. Could that be the root of the problem, bearing in mind that the no image showing problem also stops me being able to access Color Settings in Photoshop?

• 27. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

Thanks for describing your environment, Larry.  I hope the others with the problem will do so as well.

I have to say I just don't use Bridge, except once in a great while I'll start it to test something out that people talk about here.  Instead I use Windows Explorer to integrate things, and have added on a codec pack so that I see thumbnails for every file type in there.

I'll try opening a number of files from Bridge into Photoshop and see what turns up...

-Noel

• 28. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

Here's a new twist. I don't know if this is a related issue, a different issue with the same symptoms, or the root cause of the original problem.....

It may not be Windows 7's fault, but I have noticed that some applications seem to leave Win 7 paralized when it comes to handling files. For example, after closing the IrFanView image viewer, I often find that I am unable to drag and drop files between directories in Windows Explorer. I'm pretty convinvced that this is a WIndows 7 system problem; not an Explorer problem.

Once again tonight, I found myself unable to open images in photoshop either by using the "Open With" command from the context menu, or by dragging the image icon onto a CS5 shortcut icon, or by double clicking an image in Bridge. Then while at the desktop, I pounded on the ESC key a few times. This is the solution to the general problem of Win 7 refusing to Drag & Drop. Afterwards, all the images access methods worked again.... I now think hitting ESC solves this problem from within the Adobe apps as well.

ESC also give me access to the color settings menu item.

Larry, and anybody else who's had this problem, let us know how ESC works for you.

• 29. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

That sure sounds like there's a pop-up dialog open off-screen somewhere (or hidden) that's waiting on input from you.  That's certainly not normal Windows operation!

-Noel

• 30. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

Hey Noel,

I agree  that it sounds like an open dialog box or something hogging the input focus, but whatever it is, it doesn't stop Windows dead in its tracks, and it doesn't stop PS from doing most operations. It just interfers with Drag & Drop and some other file system operations. My problems with Windows Explorer and PS always happen simultaniously. As I hinted at, I suspect poorly written (legacy?) applications are the real cause of the problem; not Win 7 itself. However, I never had this problem with XP and Win7 shouldn't allow this to happen.

• 31. Re: Failing to Open Images - Sanity Threatened!

I don't think the blame can be cast simply on the OS if it's some application or malware that's grabbing control.

Check what you're running with Autoruns.  Try eliminating the things that are starting that you don't need.

-Noel