• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Linked Resources/Resource Manager to auto update cross-referenced .htm files

Explorer ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I recently upgraded to RoboHelp HTML version 9 primarily because I was told (by Adobe Support) of the addition of a new feature I had been waiting on for quite some time: The ability to have a file used across multiple help projects automatically updated whenever that file was updated in one of the help files. I've since discovered that this functionality is apparenty provided in the form of Linked Resources and the Resource Manager. I've been working with this over the past couple days and am trying (specifically) to set it up so when I update a .htm file (topic) in a given help file, that file will be automatically updated in any other help project in which it resides for cross referencing purposes. Previously, the only way for me to do this was to either manually import the updated version of the topic into all appropriate help projects within RoboHelp or to copy and paste the file into the proper help file directories in Windows Explorer. This had a tendency to be inefficient, clunky, and cumbersome. I have added a category in the Resource Manager called "HTML Documents" and haved specified .htm as the file type to associate with this category. I've set up a couple shared locations for help projects that I know have shared .htm files. I played around with it a bit, making some changes in one of the shared (and I assumed linked) .htm fies in one project then seeing if those changes were added to the other help file and they were not.

As a result, I'd like to know a couple things.

1. Does this functionality work with .htm files?

2. If so, how do I set this up through the Resource Manager and Linked Resources so it works the way I need it to?

If I can get this to work as described, this would be a tremendous help and a HUGE step forward for me.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but it does not work with HTM files. As you have found it is for images, snippets and other such files but definitely not topics.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there

please, Please, PLEASE submit a Feature Request to ask for this functionality. I asked about it when they enhanced it and I got the feeling I was appearing as if I had a single eye in my forehead. (as in, why would anyone want or need that capability?)

So until Adobe hears the request from enough users, it's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Link to the wish form is in my sig.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp