• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop not an option in "Open with..." menu

Explorer ,
Oct 12, 2011 Oct 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I right-click an image file in Windows and select "Open with...," Photoshop CS 5.5 is not listed as an option.  Even when I browse for the program to open it with and select the appropriate "Photoshop.exe" file, it still will not show up in the app menu.  I basically can't get a JPG into Photoshop without using "File : Open" from within Photoshop.

I used to have Photoshop CS4 installed, so wondering if that messed up the installation of 5.5.  I've uninstalled Photoshop CS4.  Also uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop CS5.5 (although I kept my preferences).  No luck.

Anybody else having this problem?  Is this related to a Windows registry issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 14, 2011 Oct 14, 2011

That was it!  Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\, it had "open\command" set to my old CS4 version, while "edit\command" was set to CS5.1.  So, I changed the "open" value to the same path as "edit," and it's now showing up as an option.

reg-app.jpg

Thanks for the help!  That's the first time I've ever edited my registry, but it didn't seem too difficult once you pointed me in the right direction.

Brad

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try configuring the Open file association for the particular file type in Bridge (Edit - Preferences - File Type Associations) then see if it shows up in Open With.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm.  No luck there.  It already has JPGs associated with Photoshop CS5.5.  My guess is that the installation failed to update the Windows registry correctly, but I don't know enough about editing the registry to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible that Windows occasionally cleans up the list of programs. I noticed that Photoshop CS4, which I have installed in addition to Photoshop CS5, once appeared in the Open With list, but no longer does.

I also know that it does set up those associations properly in some conditions, so I can't say what may have gone wrong for you.  It's not normally a problem to have multiple versions of Photoshop installed,

What happens if you right-click an image, choose Open With, then Choose Default Program...  You can uncheck the [ ] Always use button there if you like.

Once in the Open With dialog, then click the little arrow over to the right of Other Programs.

Do you see Photoshop CS5.1 in the list there?  If not, can you choose the executable with the [Browse...] button?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may also search for help with Windows functions at http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do that, Photoshop is not listed, even under "Other Programs."  Even after I browse and select Photoshop.exe (I've verified that it's the correct executible file), it still will not show up in either the "Recommended Programs" or "Other Programs" lists.  No matter what I do, it will not show up as an option.

I will check out the Microsoft forum, too, and hopefully figure it out.  I appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can look in your registry to see if the file is associated with Photoshop. Type "regedit" in the "Start search" window (Start Menu on the lower left task bar) and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpg\UserChoice

It should have the Program ID associted with it (i.e. Photoshop.Image.12 for CS5). If not, you can change it to the correct one. I believe "Photoshop.Image.12" is the Program ID for all versions of CS5, but you can check by looking at the Values under a file that already opens correctly with Photoshop, like .PSD.

Windows should always pick the latest version when opening files, even if there is an old value, like CS4, in the registry.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not there, but the Profid is set to another application (IrfanView.JPG, which is an image viewer app).  The data for (Default) is "(value not set)."  So, would I need to add a new Key to UserChoice for Photoshop?  I'd like to still be able to open it with IrfanView by default.

Ironically, under .jpg -> "OpenWithList," I do see Photoshop.exe as the entry for the "e" item.  Not sure what that's for, though.

By the way, it looks like it's "Photoshop.Image.55" according to the listing under the ".psd" file.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my .jpegs open with Windows Photo Gallery (it's just faster), so I understand you wanting the IrfanView. If you look in your "OpenWithList" like you said, Photoshop should be listed for it to show up when you right click and choose "Open With". If it's not there you can add it.

Since it is already there. Make sure it's also in the MRUList. That's where that 'e" comes into play. All the Value Names should be referenced in the MRUlist (order doesn't matter). Here's what mine looks like.

openwithlist.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2011 Oct 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, Photoshop.exe is listed under the "OpenWithList."  Maybe "Photoshop.exe" points to the CS4 version, which I've already uninstalled?  Is there any way to change where it look for "Photoshop.exe" so that I can point it to the CS5.1 version?  It looks like "e" is already in the MRUList (see below).

reg_ps.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly that list does not contain enough information to identify individual applications (there's no path information).

Thus the list that governs what you see in the Open With dialog must be, at least in part, elsewhere as well.  Some "registration" of the Photoshop application must be broken or missing.

Unfortunately, I do not know where that is...  But you've piqued my curiosity, so I'm going to try to find out.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's information that confirms the registry path to the top level of the "Open With" list, and sure enough they mention "registered programs".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258860

This article describes how an application can register to be in the Open With list...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/hh127445(v=vs.85).aspx

Unfortunately I have to leave my office right now, but I'll look into this more later.  There seem to be other clues available through links on the above pages.  This registry key may be important:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That was it!  Under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\Photoshop.exe\shell\, it had "open\command" set to my old CS4 version, while "edit\command" was set to CS5.1.  So, I changed the "open" value to the same path as "edit," and it's now showing up as an option.

reg-app.jpg

Thanks for the help!  That's the first time I've ever edited my registry, but it didn't seem too difficult once you pointed me in the right direction.

Brad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines