• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bleed in Illustrator CS3

Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Is there any way of setting up bleed in Illustrator CS3 as you can do with InDesign? i.e. you can see the bleed lines and artboard lines on the files not just when you want to print?

Or do I need to extend my artboard size to include bleed and put crop marks in manually? I'd like to avoid manual crop marks.

I have attaced a screen grab of InDesigns page set up options which includes bleed. This is what I am hoping Illustrator has but I am not feeling like it exists.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean sth. like this?

yes, it will show when you start a new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! Thanks.

But is there no way of adding this once a file has been created?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My set up doesn't seem to have this??

See attached for my options - Mac Illustrator CS3 - creative suite

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

then I don't know. I'm using PC CS4, a newbie.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - it may be time to update.

Anyone else know if there is a non manual way of adding bleed to document (pre-print) in Illustrator CS3?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as a PDF and add the bleed there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 05, 2009 Nov 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 Illustrator introduced the ability to define bleed during document setup.

CS3 allows you to add bleed at print time, or saving to PDF. Specifying bleed at that point will include information extending beyond the artboard.

A workaround might be, as you suggest, create the artboard, add crop marks then increase the artboard to add the bleed. Make a few templates to simplify the process.

Tom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2010 Sep 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under CS4 Choose File > Document Setup. You can add the bleed after you've created a new document.

Under CS3, add them manually by dragging guides around the artboard.

~scott

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 14, 2011 Oct 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have figured out how to drag the bleed lines from the rulers in Illustrator CS3 (what I'm using), but I can't figure out how to move those bleed lines now.

I dragged the bleed lines to the wrong areas I think, and now I need to know how to move them further out.   The commercial printer I'm using to print some business cards told me to allow for .25 of bleed.  .25 of what?  Inches I'm assuming.

I know this probably really easy but I'm lost at the moment.  Thanks for any help you could give me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View>Guides>Unlock Guides might work. Also Guides are associated with a particular layer and it might be locked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, that was it.  Thanks for quick reply.  very appreciated.

and the .25 bleed that the printer is telling me to add.... that is inches right?    I know that's probably painfully obvious, but I just want to make extra sure before resending the file to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the measurement is in inches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

thanks Larry.  Really appreciate it.  have a good one...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines