• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generated html does not open in firefox/safari when embed in an iframe

Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have been meddling with robohelp for a few weeks now. I can generate a html site from a Framemaker book fine. This is embed in an <iframe> to integrate it into our website. It works correctly on chrome. However on firefox/safari all I get is '  '. On viewing the source, it becomes apparent that this wierd bunch of characters appears before the <html>. I looked into the actual html generated and I see this tag <feff> prefixed before <html> in every file. Naturally, I went ahead and removed it and the page now loads correctly on firefox/safari. However, the bullets are all messed up. I read a post somewhere which said <feff> contains some information about css classes.

I use Technical Comm Suite-3.5(full version). The webhelp html is generated using the publish functionality from framemaker using a saved *.isf settings file.

So how do I fix this? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

The "weird bunch of characters" is known as the BOM (Byte Order Mark). The problem is on the server.

I saw the same thing when first using RoboHelp 8 and this is what I was advised by the company hosting my site.

"I would therefore conclude that the solution to this problem (on Linux systems running Apache) is to add the AddDefaultCharset utf-8 directive to either the Apache config or the site .htaccess file. The advantage of the latter is that it only affects individual sites. The default Apache

Votes

Translate

Translate
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

excerpt from frame source

"

<html>

<head>

<title>test</title>

"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The "weird bunch of characters" is known as the BOM (Byte Order Mark). The problem is on the server.

I saw the same thing when first using RoboHelp 8 and this is what I was advised by the company hosting my site.

"I would therefore conclude that the solution to this problem (on Linux systems running Apache) is to add the AddDefaultCharset utf-8 directive to either the Apache config or the site .htaccess file. The advantage of the latter is that it only affects individual sites. The default Apache character set is taken from the locale file on Linux and defaults to iso-8859-1. It is the conflict between the Apache header with iso-8859-1 and the page character set of utf-8 that obviously causes Firefox a problem."

In a forum post Chrissy_Tissy added

My machine is Windows, but this fix still worked  - some notes about making the fix visible:

1. Do the fix itself (httpd.conf: AddDefaultCharset utf-8).

2. Restart the box to apply the fix.

3. Once the box is restarted, clear your cache in FireFox to make sure you don't continue to see the cached file.

Once all this is done you will see the output content as expected.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp