• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Runaway reload, Webhelp on the iPad

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2011 Sep 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back in December I created a WebHelp Help file for an iPad application (RoboHelp 8).  Seemed to work fine back then. 6 months later, a developer reported that some graphics and objects were flashing onscreen. He did something to the HTML code, I think on every topic page, which allegedly cured the problem then.

Now I'm redoing the Help file. In looking at the earlier, live Help file, something is very wrong. A few topics render fine, then the reloading starts.  TOC window resizes, nav bar graphics flash, topic content line breaks start shifting around.  After a short while, touch input no longer works on the TOC, and you have to exit Help. In other words, not usable. Nothing like this happens on the full Safari version on my Windows 7 desktop. But the iPad doesn't use that full version. My guess is, something changed in that software. 

The problem goes beyond the live version of Help. Another developer here is testing recent output, the newer Help file I just finished. It's doing the same thing on the iPad.

I have no idea where to start. Is there some setting in my Webhelp output that could be to blame?  Do I have to modify HTML code somehow in topics, or whtopic.js?

Thanks for your help!

Michael D.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No-one?

MD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebHelp is supported on Safari on a Mac but no other Applice device, to the best of my knowledge. If the iPad is using a different version of Safari then, as you have concluded, that is likely the cause.

Try first with a very simple help output and maybe you will get something working. I'm not hopeful.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter:

Thanks for chiming in. I am doing output testing right now.  Thought it might be the autosync TOC feature, but turned out not so. So I'll do whatever output iterations seem logical, and not feeling too optimistic either.

Michael D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, sorta hard to feel optimistic when you take an engine from a diesel locomotive and try to retrofit it into a Fiat. Doesn't usually go so well...

Cheers and happy Monday... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it works.

There were many 1930's racing cars built using aircraft engines.

http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php?/explore/the-24-litre-napier-railton-endurance-record-and-...

I believe it was built on the site where my company's offices now stand.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

At last I can report a solution. Two of them in fact. One problem with the help output was indeed safari-based - blinking graphics. Any graphic in the help skin would do that. Pulled off the "about" company icon from the skin and put it on the intro topic, ditched the search input field (with custom button graphic) from the skin, that left only the close left-side pane graphic to blink.  I can live with that.

The worse problem had been the reloading resizing of topic contents.  This turned out to be related to how our developers were deploying help files. They arranged to load help pages into our application, enabling a one button click return to the main app.  Unfortunately, it nuked all topic right side margins, made Help unusable.  Luckily they tested Help outside our app, as a standalone Safari window. Otherwise, I'd have never known.

Anyway, that "all one app" idea went away. Help is delivered by Safari now, end of reload problem.  Much relief here, and thanks so much for helping me.

Michael D.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp