• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom RH9 WebHelp skin: Problem opening PDF file from custom button

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've been troubleshooting and checking forums trying to figure out how to get a PDF file to open from a custom button on my WebHelp skin. It worked for me once upon a time, but I changed something in the document and tried to upload the new version and it has errored out ever since.

PDF Issue 2.png

I want to have the ability to open the PDF in a new window from the custom button (called 'Printable PDF' on my skin), so I am using the following custom JavaScript in the 'Click On' field of the the custom button's components: window.open('print_test.pdf','printWindow','menubar=0,resizable=0,width=900,height=500,scrollbars=1');  I know the script is good because I have the same script for the Support custom button and it works great. The only difference between those scripts is the Support script calls an .html file instead of a PDF and the window names says 'supportWindow' instead of 'printWindow'.

. PDF Issue.png

I've tried deleting and recreating the custom button, changing the JavaScript with a developer's help, generating the help on another machine thinking it was a glitch with my browser (using IE8) or RoboHelp license, and combing the help files numerous times. I've also ensured that the PDF file is stored in the skin and project folders along with the other project files/folders. I've used previous versions of RoboHelp and had no problems attaching a Word document and PDF, so I'm wondering if this is a bug in RH9?? Especially since it worked for me initially. Any assistance and/or fresh ideas are welcomed! Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Hello again

Try disabling MOTW and generating again. Then test and jump through the hoops MOTW saves you from jumping through. (Yellow Information Bar and all that)

My guess is that MOTW is inhibiting things. Once you publish this content to a server you should be good.

Cheers.. Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there and welcome to our community

How are you testing? From your local hard drive or after uploading to a server?

Do you have Mark of the Web enabled?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

Thank you. I'm generating off of my local drive and I do have Mark of the Web enabled.

~Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Try disabling MOTW and generating again. Then test and jump through the hoops MOTW saves you from jumping through. (Yellow Information Bar and all that)

My guess is that MOTW is inhibiting things. Once you publish this content to a server you should be good.

Cheers.. Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rick! That did the trick. You have saved me from weeks of frustration! Much appreciated!  So...if I were to select MOTW before I generate my final version that I publish to the server, will MOTW keep inhibiting the PDF?

~Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Happy I was able to help.

MOTW is only present and affects things when you are running content off your local C drive. It's value is in preventing that Yellow Information Bar and all that from appearing when you are using IE. Once you publish content to a server and access it that way you are in a different security zone and MOTW has no influence either way. So there would be no adantage to enabling it before publishing to a server. The only reason you might want to consider enabling it would be if you were copying the WebHelp to everyone's hard drive and having them run it from their hard drives.

Make sense?

Hope so... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Makes perfect sense now that you have explained it. No real need for MOTW for my purposes, but I see the value it adds. Thanks again for all of your help and extra information.

~Sarah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp