• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Media Encoder -> Encore - H.264 Blu-ray

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2010 Aug 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just exported a Premiere Pro timeline using the Media Encoder with H.264 Blu-ray format and the 1080i 29.97 HQ preset. Presumably, you would choose this so that you do not have to transcode when you get to Encore. However, when I put my 16GB M4V file in a timeline, it wants to transcode saying it is "Untranscoded". Why? It also says the Blu-ray disc is only 11GB.

Please tell me there is something I can do to prevent from having to re-encode or transcode this file when it is already in a Blu-ray format.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I just figured this out...

Based on posts from CS4, Adobe did not fix the H.264 Blu-ray presets where the Profile Level must be set to Main instead of High for Blu-ray compatibility in Encore.

That said, I believe the High profile level is actually adopted by Blu-ray standards, so perhaps the AME team has it right, but Encore is not correctly recognizing them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but not really. The files in question ARE H.264, 1920x1080, yadda yadda. They're recognized in Encore, but Encore wants to transcode them even though they should already be a Blu-ray native format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>should already be a Blu-ray

Well, it would seem that Encore doesn't like SOMETHING about the file and therefore wants to transcode

3 choices I know of are dimensions or data rate or sound type

Since you say your file matches to the "yadda yadda" degree, then I have no other ideas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used an Adobe Media Encoder stock preset. Encore should be able to hand ALL of them. That's the whole point of using the H.264 Blu-ray as opposed to the H.264 format.

It appears that setting the Profile to Main instead of High as suggested in other posts from CS4 works. I just shouldn't have to. The consensus from the CS4 posts were that the presets were made wrong and should have been corrected for CS5, but they weren't. 

I just wonder if it's the presets that are wrong or if Encore has a bug and isn't recognizing the files correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>wonder if it's the presets that are wrong or if Encore has a bug

Bug Report and Feature Request https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears that setting the Profile to Main instead of High as suggested in other posts from CS4 works

Did you verify this yourself, or are you relying on second-hand information?  You should definitely test for yourself in case that's not the right solution for you.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did test it, and it does indeed work. I tried it rendering a 20 second clip and confirmed. I'm now waiting on 3 hours of video footage to render, which will take my 8-core/8GB machine around 36 hours to complete. God I love computers. So fast, but not fast enough.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have verified this with AME H264 - blu ray Preset 1080i 29.97 generated m4v file.

and the status is showing don't transcode for blu ray.

Please share AME preset screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2010 Aug 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, it turns out that Encore is properly recognizing short 15 second clips rendered with the mentioned preset, but once I do the full 96 minute movie that is my project, it does not drop in with "Don't Transcode". I did the 15 second clip and then duplicated the entry in Adobe Media Encoder, and just changed the render to entire sequence. Very strange. If I remember correctly, a previous render I did that was 3 minutes long exhibited the problem as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 02, 2011 Sep 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same thing. I setup AME and then Encore reports needs transcoding. So sad that this is not fixed yet.

Also, I have tried encoding from within Enocore and have tried making a custom setting. Encore selects the custom setting and then encodes at the lowest setting anyway. So instead of a 15GB 1.5 hour long Blu Ray, I get a 4.5 GB Blu Ray.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post a screenshot of your En project panel, including the column headers.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

8-10-2010 4-28-38 PM.png

This is one of the M4V files in a new project. Notice it says "Untranscoded" instead of "Do Not Transcode".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 02, 2011 Sep 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

muzicman82 wrote:

I just exported a Premiere Pro timeline using the Media Encoder with H.264 Blu-ray format and the 1080i 29.97 HQ preset. Presumably, you would choose this so that you do not have to transcode when you get to Encore. However, when I put my 16GB M4V file in a timeline, it wants to transcode saying it is "Untranscoded". Why? It also says the Blu-ray disc is only 11GB.

Please tell me there is something I can do to prevent from having to re-encode or transcode this file when it is already in a Blu-ray format.

is it that stupid "2 pass VBR" bug showing its ugly head?

<vent> i swear.... when it comes to DVD authoring encore is great, but encore BD authoring is just atrocious. if i had a first born son to sell, i would totally pony up for Sony Blu-Print and be done with it once and for all... but alas i'm dealing with what i have.... i really wish for CS6 they would give Sonic the middle finger if sonic won't update authorcore for adobe, and recreate encore from ground up to better work with BD on their own terms (like the work they did with overhauling/rewriting Audition) or have 2 seperate apps. Encore DVD with sonic authorcore engine and Encore BD with some new adobe proprietary nonsense. or try to hit-up sony to see if they would lend a scaled down engine of blu-print to be the backbone and say "up yours sonic, we got sony." i just wish encore BD was a smidge comparable to scenarist/blu-print/dostudio or such. why can't i make a flipping simple pop-up menu with backgrounds without jumping through all the layer edge hoops?!? i realize those apps are priced that way for a reason.... but i have yet to really be creatively inhibited when it comes to DVD authoring, but i'm constantly hitting walls and upsets with BD authoring when i step outside a few familiar templates. i want more interactivity. ah well... </vent>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2011 Sep 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't believe, even with CS 5.5, this "bug" exists. It's ridiculous. If you're going to have a H.264 BluRay preset in Media Encoder, I should be able to drag those files in to Encore 5.5 with NO ISSUE. Yet it still wants to transcode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 12, 2011 Sep 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug is with only H264 VBR 2 Pass presets and if you change to VBR 1 Pass keeping evverything same, the bug should not be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 13, 2011 Sep 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

"This bug is with only H264 VBR 2 Pass presets and if you change to VBR 1 Pass keeping evverything same, the bug should not be there."

honestly speaking, most everyone agrees that 2 pass is better quality than 1 pass

and if this issue has been happening since cs4 and we just received our first update

to cs5.5.1 for ppro, why does adobe still require us to 'lower' quality settings...

it's almost like adobe doesn't want us exporting a full quality BD...

doesn't adobe have the resources to fix this issue already?

unless there is an acceptable answer, then shouldn't this be unacceptable...?

this is almost like saying, "yeah the full hd presets don't work, but if you use the standard def presets, you should be okay..."

especially if other authoring programs can do 2pass BD discs...

is there an acceptable answer as to why this issue hasn't been fixed?

is there any plans to update encore?

thanks,

jeffrey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe they are not aware. to think of it.... i don't think i've posted a bug report. i should proabably do that. maybe no one has??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

i disagree...

this 2pass vbr BD issue has been happening since cs4

if i've read the forum threads correctly,

this thread just exposes the issue again...

it would be nice to get an official answer other than speculation...

jeffrey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jeffrey,

Did you try setting the Profile to Main instead of leaving it at the default High setting?  I just did, and En ingested the file from the AME as "Don't Transcode".

Setting it to Main is a much better workaround than going from 2-pass to 1-pass, and if you save the modified preset, it's always just a single click away in the Preset control of the Export Settings dialog.

And please do fill out a bug report as you see the bug: is the bug that the included preset defaults to the High profile when only Main will work with 2-pass VBR in En without transcoding?  Or is the bug that using the High profile with 2-pass VBR results in a file that En thinks it has to transcode?  Or both?  And consider that with all the bugs in En that need fixing, the fact that this issue has at least 2 viable workarounds (OK, maybe one-and-a-half viable workarounds) may likely push it to the bottom of the fix-it list.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello,

it was my understanding that the 2pass issue is separate from

the main/high issue...

i thought all 2pass BD would be shirked by encore...

""Setting it to Main is a much better workaround than going from 2-pass to 1-pass, and if you save the modified preset, it's always just a single click away in the Preset control of the Export Settings dialog""

i interpret this as a 'main/2pass BD project' works,

but a 'high/2pass BD project' doesn't work...

i'm confused with the 'going from 2 pass to 1 pass' because the forum threads say that 2pass doesn't work...

sorry for adding any confusion to a confusing matter...

thanks for helping

i don't mind workarounds as long as users don't have to sacrifice quality

which seems to be the issue going from 2 pass to 1 pass regardless of  the main/high thing...

jeffrey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i thought all 2pass BD would be shirked by encore...

Nope.

i interpret this as a 'main/2pass BD project' works,

but a 'high/2pass BD project' doesn't work..

Correct.

i'm confused with the 'going from 2 pass to 1 pass' because the forum threads say that 2pass doesn't work...

...unless you change the profile from High to Main.

thanks for helping

You're welcome.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello Jeff,

i think i understand

and will execute tests tomorrow night

after work

thank you so much for the clarity

have a blessed night,

jeffrey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2011 Sep 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just did a 2pass with profile set to main instead of high. Still didn't work. Encore shows it as untranscoded. I'm using CS5.5.

Either way, main, high, whichever. It's ludicrous for this bug to still be around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines