• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I send my KB via email?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to publish my KB on a server which I cannot publish to. Obviously I'm publishing using webhelp, not CHM.

I tried zipping up my local copy and sending it to them, but when they loaded it and I viewed it, it doesn't show the frames. I also noted that if I click on it locally, I do not see the frames.

So I went to my webserver, and zipped that up. If I launch from there, I do see the frames. Will that work? If not, what is the best way for me to handle this?

Thanks much,

Anahid

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

Hi there

I'm sure Peter is safely tucked away in bed at the moment so will try to help.

When you open WebHelp you point at the WebHelp start page. This page is special and is vastly different than your default topic. It is defined in your Single Source Layout recipe. I'm not sure what version of RoboHelp you are using and don't believe I saw it mentioned anywhere in the thread. But based on your screen capture I'm going to hazard a guess and say it is maybe version 7?

Assuming Version 7, your Singl

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you are trying to open the default topic rather than the start page.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First - terminology check: you're generating WebHelp, but not publishing it to your server, right?

So if you zip up your WebHelp folder inside your project's \!SSL!\ folder and send that, it should "unpack" with the same structure. You'll have to tell the recipient what the "start page" is if it isn't something standard like "index.htm" - usually it's your project's name, but it doesn't have to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter & Jeff,

My default page and index page are the same page.

I figured out one issue was that I zipped the entire folder, and they were opening index.htm from the WPA_User_Training folder, not the WebHelp folder - my mistake. So I have now zipped up the Webhelp folder, and have told them the index.html file is the start file.

If there is any issue after that I'll repost. Unfortunately they won't have it available to review until later today.

Anahid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That must mean you have created a topic with the filename index.htm and then in the dialog where you generate the help you have named the start page as index.htm. As a result you are attempting to create two files with the same name in the output. RoboHelp takes care of that by renaming one but you are then left with confusion.

Avoid creating any topic with the filename index.htm.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

So this is what I found out - my topic title is Welcome, file name is index.htm:

Welcome page.png

When publishing my webhelp, my default topic is index.htm:

Default topic.png

So I found that if I use the index.htm URL, I still don't get the frames, but if I put #index.htm, it brings it up properly. I'm sure this is my ignorance, but why is it that I have to add the # sign to display the frames?

Thank you in advance... this forum is a wealth of knowledge... and extremely appreciated!

Anahid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm sure Peter is safely tucked away in bed at the moment so will try to help.

When you open WebHelp you point at the WebHelp start page. This page is special and is vastly different than your default topic. It is defined in your Single Source Layout recipe. I'm not sure what version of RoboHelp you are using and don't believe I saw it mentioned anywhere in the thread. But based on your screen capture I'm going to hazard a guess and say it is maybe version 7?

Assuming Version 7, your Single Source Layout dialog for WebHelp would look like this:

tmp1.PNG

The HTML file specified in the highlighted area is used to start the WebHelp. It's a good idea to name the file index.htm because this name has special meaning to a web server.

When this page is opened it sets a cascade of events in motion. Similar to a domino effect. It sniffs the browser and depending on what it finds it makes adjustments. Then it begins dividing the screen into several smaller frames and populating each frame with information. The last action is to load the Default Topic into the Topic frame. And you specify the Default Topic in this field:

tmp2.png

The Default Topic is simply the first topic presented to the user after the full WebHelp loads. As you should hopefully see by now, you cause a great amount of confusion if you try to name these two to be the same. RoboHelp will insist on naming one of them differently. So I'd recommend naming the Default Topic to be Welcome.htm and the WebHelp start page to be Index.htm.

Hopefully this helps... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2011 Oct 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I swear sometimes I see things dyslexically - I swore that was how I set it up - after all, I do love my goober guide! And... I even double checked my setups.

But, you are correct:

Opposite.png

I am exactly the opposite of what I should be. I will rename my pages, and I'm sure the problem will go away!

Thanks,

Anahid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp