Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Object effects - ease?

Advocate ,
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cp5.5

When adding an effect to an object like Entrance > > Stretch > Stretch from Bottom, there's an Ease % value.

Several of the effects have this "ease" setting but I'm not sure I understand what it does or how the % works.

I've tried searching here and various combinations of keywords in Google, to no result.

Can someone help me understand what 'ease' does in its various iterations?

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Hi Andy

As I understand it, ease causes a graceful beginning or ending to things. For example, if you are moving an object from point A to point B and you aren't using any easing, the object spontaneously moves from point A to point B with a sudden beginning and an abrupt end. But if you employ easing, you might see the object slowly begin, come up to speed and move, then as it approaches the end it gradually slows down just before it stops.

Hopefully that helps... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2011 Oct 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy

As I understand it, ease causes a graceful beginning or ending to things. For example, if you are moving an object from point A to point B and you aren't using any easing, the object spontaneously moves from point A to point B with a sudden beginning and an abrupt end. But if you employ easing, you might see the object slowly begin, come up to speed and move, then as it approaches the end it gradually slows down just before it stops.

Hopefully that helps... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy,

As usual a great explanation by Rick. It is a term that originated in Flash (motion tweens), and you'll certainly find a lot of links if you Google on 'Flash and easing'. Here is one old link, watch the small animations:

http://maclab.guhsd.net/flash/mx/easing_01.html

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that makes sense.  so it controls acceleration and deceleration.

Maybe I wasn't moving an object far enough, but when I had it at 0 or at 100%, it looked the same to me.  How does the percentage factor in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy, it is only visible when the effect and the path are 'long' enough. Most effects by default only take 3secs, and that is too short,

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

so it looks like from the link above and what I've experimented with, the ease impacts the objects movement speed as it nears it's end point.

How does the percentage correlate to the distance in which the ease takes place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources