Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash 11 crashing in all browsers

Oct 07, 2011 Oct 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having nothing but problems with this. I usually use Chrome as my internet browser (on Mac OS X 10.6.8), and I kept getting "This plugin has crashed: Shockwave Flash". At first I thought it was just a problem with Chrome, but it is happening in every browser. I disabled it in Chrome, and reinstalled it, and re-enabled it, and it is still not workin. I think I've removed it / reinstalled it four times already and it keeps having the same problem. Any time I go on a website with flash media (youtube, a site with a music player of somesort, google ads that have flash, etc), it gives me a crash report.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

The original post issue, crash all browser on Mac, was fixed in latest Flash Player (11.1.102.55) through this bug report:

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3003022

Thank you for all who helped to provide us information here and the bug report. We could have fix the bug just because you provided accurate information. We really appreciate your comments, reports, and help here.

thanks,

Hitomi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, Flash Plaer 11 is crashing in Firefox, Safari and Chrome- I have tried reinstalling it, turning of the system version, and the built in borwser version, uninstalling, reinstalling an older one,

there is a big problem with this, and none of the borwser cos. or adobe seem to be doing anything. I am on MacOS (10.6.8), and since the update to Shockwave Flash it has failed every time.

Same as mwilsonasyck's experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's also crashing in Rockmelt (I'm not sure how many other people use this), so basically all four browsers on my laptop. It is a huge inconvenience because so many sites I frequent on have some sort of flash element and the stupid "This has crashed" alert basically slows down the whole page. And on a few sites, flash will begin loading and then crash like "haha sucka, fooled you".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting Flash Crash as well.  Installed FireFox...more stable browser, and still getting crashes constantly.  Seems ever since 10.1.X, nothing but issues.  They are not responding here in the forums, like they normally do, so I think the programmers are using their own version of "Sandbox".  Hey boys....a little help would be nice.  Read the Forums...there are issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you post your system overview  and Graphics/Display information?  i'm assuming you were running Flash Player 10.3 prior to upgrading to 11,0,1,152...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System Overview:

Model Name:          MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:          MacBookPro6,2

Processor Name:          Intel Core i7

Processor Speed:          2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors:          1

Total Number Of Cores:          2

L2 Cache (per core):          256 KB

L3 Cache:          4 MB

Memory:          4 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed:          4.8 GT/s

Boot ROM Version:          MBP61.0057.B0C

SMC Version (system):          1.58f16

- - -

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State:          Enabled

Graphics / Display:

Intel HD Graphics:

Chipset Model:          Intel HD Graphics

Type:          GPU

Bus:          Built-In

VRAM (Total):          288 MB

Vendor:          Intel (0x8086)

Device ID:          0x0046

Revision ID:          0x0018

gMux Version:          1.9.21

Displays:

Display Connector:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model:          NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Bus:          PCIe

PCIe Lane Width:          x16

VRAM (Total):          512 MB

Vendor:          NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID:          0x0a29

Revision ID:          0x00a2

ROM Revision:          3560

gMux Version:          1.9.21

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution:          1440 x 900

Pixel Depth:          32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display:          Yes

Mirror:          Off

Online:          Yes

Built-In:          Yes

Display Connector:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i don't have access to those machines at the momment, but could you try one thing?  i'm not sure it will help, but it won't hurt to try at this point.

delete the directories within /Users/<yourUserName>/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the directories didn't help. I just tried it and it just made flash objects load slower, and then when they did it'd crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 08, 2011 Oct 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

to mitigate until our team can research more, you can uninstall and apply a previous version of the player. 

the archive page is available here: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

downgrading can only be done for firefox and internet explorer.  google chrome can take advantage of the nsplugin, but you will need to disable the internal player, which is not advised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting the issue to adobe.  Unfortunately the crash failed to reproduce on 2 similar OSX:

1> MacBookPro6,2(Graphic: Intel HD Graphics/NVIDIA GeForce GT 330) + OSX 10.6.8 + flash player 11.0.1.152

2> imac 11,2(ATI Radeon HD 4670)  + OSX Lion + flash player 11.0.1.152

Could you provide below info? Then flash player team could look into it

1. Could you clear the browser cache and flash player local storage to test again?(reference to clear flash player local storage: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlayer/10.3/NCP/WS6aa5ec234ff3f285139dc56112e3786b68c-7fff.html#WS6...)

2. If still reproducible, the specified URL?

3. Whether issue can be resolved when Disabling hardware acceleration

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is I can't even access the Flash settings to disable hardware acceleration because it just crashes and right-clicking does nothing. My specs are as follows.

Model Name:          iMac

Model Identifier:          iMac11,1

Processor Name:          Intel Core i5

Processor Speed:          2.66 GHz

Number of Processors:          1

Total Number of Cores:          4

L2 Cache (per Core):          256 KB

L3 Cache:          8 MB

Chipset Model:          ATI Radeon HD 4850

PCIe Lane Width:          x16

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand how Adobe can screw up this bad AGAIN with the Flash Player for Mac? No wonder Apple didn't want it on iOS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I emptied the browser cache, didn't see anything regarding the flash player local storage even after following the provided link. Still same problem. Disabling/Enabling plugins didn't change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cleared the cache, still nothing.

Sites:

Youtube.com

Grooveshark.com, and any site with a grooveshark player

Audio players on sites such as tumblr

Google ads on many sites are crashing as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cleared the cache in Chrome, and briefly Flash was working. Clearing the cache in Firefox didn't help. When I tried another Flash site in Chrome, the Flash plugin crashed again, and now keeps crashing.

The url that briefly worked after cache clearance was

http://www.theage.com.au/

http://www.afl.com.au/

Both these now crash.

Also, I am unclear as to how I can clear Flash Player local storage and turn off hardware acceleration. Where do I do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andybwah wrote:

Also, I am unclear as to how I can clear Flash Player local storage

I wouldn't know how to do that on a Mac, except perhaps using CCleaner for Mac (beta).

Andybwah wrote:

... and turn off hardware acceleration. Where do I do this?

See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/891337

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all, thanks for your reply.  Since the issue still unable to reproduce in my side, Could you please send the crash log to me(qyzhu@adobe.com)?  hope we could get some useful info from the crash log.

Methods to get the crash log:http://forums.adobe.com/thread/864940

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2011 Oct 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also experiencing this problem all of a sudden. I have been using flash player 11 since I upgraded to Lion over the summer with very little drama, but in the past 3 days, it has become unusable. It crashes on every browser. Unfortunately, the instructions above are not comprehensive enough for me to clear my flash player storage or turn off my hardware acceleration. I did, however, uninstall and reinstall flash player. That did nothing. I'm wondering if there are cache files somewhere on my system that did not get deleted in the unistall. The problem is primarily an issue for me in Chrome, but is also happening in Firefox and Safari.

Here are my specs:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:          MacBook Pro

Model Identifier:          MacBookPro8,2

Processor Name:          Intel Core i7

Processor Speed:          2.3 GHz

Number of Processors:          1

Total Number of Cores:          4

L2 Cache (per Core):          256 KB

L3 Cache:          8 MB

Memory:          8 GB

Boot ROM Version:          MBP81.0047.B1E

SMC Version (system):          1.69f1

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model:          AMD Radeon HD 6750M

PCIe Lane Width:          x8

VRAM (Total):          1024 MB

Vendor:          ATI (0x1002)

Device ID:          0x6741

Revision ID:          0x0000

ROM Revision:          113-C0170L-573

gMux Version:          1.9.23

EFI Driver Version:          01.00.573

Displays:

Color LCD:

Resolution:          1680 x 1050

Pixel Depth:          32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display:          Yes

Mirror:          Off

Online:          Yes

Built-In:          Yes

Intel HD Graphics 3000:

Chipset Model:          Intel HD Graphics 3000

Bus:          Built-In

Vendor:          Intel (0x8086)

Device ID:          0x0126

Revision ID:          0x0009

gMux Version:          1.9.23

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know either, but after three days of messing with it I went back to FLASH 10.3.183.10 and some beer drinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lOPd7-teAU

Good luck!

Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 07:12:00 -0600

To: keith.markey@hotmail.com

Subject: Flash 11 crashing in all browsers

Re: Flash 11 crashing in all browsers

created by shayes915 in Using Flash Player - View the full discussion

I am also experiencing this problem all of a sudden. I have been using flash player 11 since I upgraded to Lion over the summer with very little drama, but in the past 3 days, it has become unusable. It crashes on every browser. Unfortunately, the instructions above are not comprehensive enough for me to clear my flash player storage or turn off my hardware acceleration. I did, however, uninstall and reinstall flash player. That did nothing. I'm wondering if there are cache files somewhere on my system that did not get deleted in the unistall. The problem is primarily an issue for me in Chrome, but is also happening in Firefox and Safari. Here are my specs: Hardware Overview: Model Name: MacBook Pro Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2 Processor Name: Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz Number of Processors: 1 Total Number of Cores: 4 L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB L3 Cache: 8 MB Memory: 8 GB Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B1E SMC Version (system): 1.69f1 AMD Radeon HD 6750M: Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M Type: GPU Bus: PCIe PCIe Lane Width: x8 VRAM (Total): 1024 MB Vendor: ATI (0x1002) Device ID: 0x6741 Revision ID: 0x0000 ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573 gMux Version: 1.9.23 EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573 Displays:Color LCD: Resolution: 1680 x 1050 Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888) Main Display: Yes Mirror: Off Online: Yes Built-In: Yes Intel HD Graphics 3000: Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Type: GPU Bus: Built-In VRAM (Total): 512 MB Vendor: Intel (0x8086) Device ID: 0x0126 Revision ID: 0x0009 gMux Version: 1.9.23

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Using Flash Player by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I also donwgraded, but as an actionscriptdeveloper, well... that is not really an option.

I often encountered bugs in the first releases but this one is totally Top of the Pops, as number 11 is totally unusable... It crashes instantly without any interaction and I want to test the stuff I am developing.

Regards

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have managed to resuscitate Flash in Chrome - I disabled one file, cleared the cache, reinstalled Flash again, and it seems to be working now.

But it still crashes in Firefox consistently: here are the last 2 crash logs

... actually, I have them saved on my desktop as your how to page explained, but how do I send them to you? I can paste the text via textedit, but it is massive.

chrome_Flashplugins.gifFirefox_Flashplugins.gif

Here is Adobe's about Flash page in Firefox-

abode_flashpage.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andybwah wrote:

... actually, I have them saved on my desktop as your how to page explained, but how do I send them to you? I can paste the text via textedit, but it is massive.

Can't you just attach the .dmp file to the email address in Qingyan.zhu's post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops - yes. didn't see the email address. Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2011 Oct 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I really would like to send a crash report to you, but after 20 times of installing and uninstalling i went back to 10.3. This:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Google Chrome for Mac OS X

1. Open Chrome and cause Flash Player to crash

chromecrash.png

3. Open an Finder window and navigate to:

• <username>/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Crash Reports

chromedmp.png

4. Locate the crash log file ending with ".dmp" and copy it to your desktop

5. Include the crash log you saved to your desktop in your bug report

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is not working for me. Chrome crashes as it has its own flash implementation but there is no crash log in the described place. Neither do I have a folder "Crash Reports". But I could send you a screencast showing the behaviour if that was helpful...

Regards

Alex

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

from Andybwah

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac11,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: IM111.0034.B02

SMC Version (system): 1.54f36

Graphics/Display

ATI Radeon HD 4850:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4850

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x944a

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B9110C-425

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.383

Displays:

iMac:

Resolution: 2560 x 1440

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Built-In: Yes

Connection Type: DisplayPort

Display Connector:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines