• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Don't see Lighting effects filter in PS CS5

Explorer ,
May 09, 2010 May 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've installed CS5, and, although the Lighting effects filter seems to be in the plug in folders, it doesn't show up in the menus. I've removed PS and reinstalled, but still no go.

I have this: "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CS5/Plug-ins/Filters/Lighting Effects.plugin" and a Lighting Styles folder in the same path.

PS 12.0 x64,

Mac OS 10.6.3

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo

Any ideas what to do?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I found the answer. See:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/828/cpsid_82824.html

Particularly:

"Plug-ins not supported by Photoshop CS5 on Mac OS, running in 64-bit mode, supported in Mac OS 32-bi..."

How did I miss this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.....and why, I might ask, in software used by Photographers around the world are picture package and contact sheet OPTIONAL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Contact Sheet and Picture Package functionality has moved to Bridge and the AOM (Adobe Output Module). We still provide the plugins as an optional install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may sound crazy but if those plugins are working for 64-bit Windows, does the Photoshop team plan on making them 64-bit Mac compatible during the CS5 release?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those apps in Bridge aren't as user friendly.   In filling orders and preparing proofs I need to be able to move fast within Photoshop... and to print at 360 dpi for Epson....  can't do that in Bridge apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those apps in Bridge aren't as user friendly.   In filling orders and preparing proofs I need to be able to move fast within Photoshop... and to print at 360 dpi for Epson....  can't do that in Bridge apps.

If you are concerned about efficiency you should definitely look into Scripting.

Printing is, as far as I can tell, unfortunately not good/easy to Script; but if you should have a hotfolder-setup with your RIP-software Scripts can be fairly useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows, we didn't have to rewrite the plugins to work with a completely new API -- so it was easy to port to 64 bit (only minor changes were needed).

On Macintosh, you pretty much have to rewrite the UI code to work on 64 bit.  That's more work than we had time for in the case of some plugins (especially a few with ugly UI code).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

On Windows, we didn't have to rewrite the plugins to work with a completely new API -- so it was easy to port to 64 bit (only minor changes were needed).

On Macintosh, you pretty much have to rewrite the UI code to work on 64 bit.  That's more work than we had time for in the case of some plugins (especially a few with ugly UI code).

Since I can't afford a new machine in order to upgrade to CS5, I don't know whether to sigh in relief and revel in Schadenfreude over this shortcoming, or to gasp in astonishment.

Plug-ins supported in 32- and 64-bit Windows, and only 32-bit Mac OS:

* Lighting Effects

* Extract (Use Refine Mask under the Selection menu)

* Variations

* Web Contact Sheet II (Web Photo Gallery)

* Layer Comps to WPG

* PatternMaker

* PhotoMergerUI

* Picture Package

* Embed / Read Digimarc Watermark

* Firewire

* Firewire DLL

Ouch!  

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like I'll be running in 32-bit most of the time.  That's a shame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 10, 2010 May 10, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Thanks for the explanation.  But on a more  basic level you are saying that the features weren't ready for the CS5 launch but will still be developed,  ie: a download later through an update during the CS5 lifecycle.  Just as long as they were not being deprecated, that's all my concern was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I will look into scripting.... although I'm pretty sure my brain is full.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We probably won't offer those plugins as downloads - the update represents too much work, and after a short time we run into revenue recognition problems (thanks FASB).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit late and anyway it might not be any of my business, but could you explain what »revenue recognition problems« means here?

Personally I consider Lighting Effects as no big loss and I don’t especially miss Contact Sheet or Picture Package either (in contrast to PDF Presentation), but obviously there are a few customers out there who do – so how much complaining to whom would they have to do to justify the expense?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe just spent $223,000 on one full page ad in the Wall Street Journal.... so don't talk to me about expense    I still like CS5... just not the incompatibility of the mentioned plug ins with 64-bit....  I also get the feeling they are on the way out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit late and anyway it might not be any of my business, but could you explain what »revenue recognition problems« means here?

In a nutshell:  We can't add functionality after we ship without charging more for it (at least not without changing half our corporate accounting and scaring investors, or running afoul of accounting standards, auditors, regulators, etc.). 

FASB changed rules several years back to try and halt bad practices by a few software vendors, and ended up hurting everyone else in the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 16, 2010 May 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, well, that sounds annoying.

Thanks for the explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Penny wise, pound foolish. When you only look at numbers and models, you wind up screwing the pooch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 16, 2010 Oct 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

New to Adobe with CS5 and working on a 64 bit Mac. Do not have the checkbox above "Locked" that says "Open in 32 bit". Mine says "Shared Folder." Shared Folder is the only box I have the option of checking. I do not seem to have any way to get to my lighting effects! I have an assignment due tomorrow evening, so can anyone help me figure out what to do? I am new to this Mac and new to Photoshop with CS5. Thanks. P.S. I am using the Student Version of CS5 Design Premium which I called on about ten times and was assured by Adobe ten times that it was exactly the same as the non-student version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 16, 2010 Oct 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

China Carnella wrote:

Hi,

…Do not have the checkbox above "Locked" that says "Open in 32 bit". Mine says "Shared Folder."

China,

It sounds like you are selecting the Photoshop folder in the Finder.  You need to highlight the Photoshop application icon, not the folder that contains it.

China Carnella wrote:

… the Student Version of CS5 Design Premium which I called on about ten times and was assured by Adobe ten times that it was exactly the same as the non-student version.

It is.  Absolutely identical, except for the price. 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fish always rots from the head first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 13, 2010 May 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's a question for you because i'm also running mac OSX and cs5 had been working just fine - all of my filters, including lighting effects, showing up and then one day it stopped showing up. i've reinstalled three times and it won't come back... so... what do i do now?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>In a nutshell:  We can't add functionality after we ship without charging more for it (at least not without changing half our corporate accounting and scaring investors, or running afoul of accounting standards, auditors, regulators, etc.).

hi chris, I'm not picking on you, I actually think this is kinda cool that this was actually said "out loud", I do appreciate the honesty.

>FASB changed rules several years back to try and halt bad practices by a few software vendors, and ended up hurting everyone else in the process.

if a company releases new features that they don't charge for, it hurts everyone else?  yikes!

This is just a decision that Adobe has made, I have plenty of software from companies that offer new features during updates and don't charge for them. They are just on a different level of the food chain. Let's be honest, Adobe is sitting in a pretty good place with little to no competition. Adobe should be applauded for playing the game well and having a great product. But industry standards are man-made creations, unlike gravity and therefore can be changed.

regards,
j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if a company releases new features that they don't charge for, it hurts everyone else?  yikes!

Read again: the FASB rule change is what hurts everyone, by forcing bad changes in revenue recognition.

This is partly an Adobe decision (in that we can't just change accounting rules mid-stream without causing other problems), and mostly a FASB decision.

We have been trying to get the FASB rules changed for a while, without success.

I wish things could be changed so we could deliver more for our customers mid-cycle, but we're constantly hamstrung by the new revenue recognition rules.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

…wish things could be changed so we could deliver more for our customers mid-cycle, …

If that ever happened, it would be such a shocking surprise that it would induce a heart attack in me.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines