Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Converting PDF to LiveCycle PDFs

Former Community Member

Our firm uses LiveCycle PDFs to perform data merge activities.  We have well over a 100 PDFs that need to be converted to LiveCycle for this data merge activity.  Right now, the conversion to LiveCycle is where someone opens the PDF and saves it as a LiveCycle PDF.  Is there a way to batch this conversion?  Either through development activities or through a batch job?

Thanks for your advice.

5 Replies

Level 4

I'm not sure that the "Collaboration service" forum is where you'll get your question answered. 

Can you be a bit more specific in your question?  Are you referring to PDF forms that need to be converted to LiveCycle XFA forms in designer?  Or are you talking about just bringing the PDF documents up to a current PDF version level?  A bit more info will help get this to the right place.

Former Community Member

Sorry for the imporper forum. 

Forgive me here, but I am new to LiveCycle and its proceses.  The input to the process is a PDF and the output is a LiveCycle PDF.  I am not totally sure of the inner workings of the LiveCycle PDF process.  What I am seeing from our associate is that they open the PDF and do a save as in Livecycle over a 100 times.  This is very time consuming.  I do not believe it to be an issue of PDF version levels though, more of utilizing the LiveCycle format.

Former Community Member

Hi Peter, it sounds like you're using LiveCycle Designer for your "conversion" project. Are you convertings existing PDF documents into Designer based XPD (xml based PDF) forms?

Former Community Member

That is correct.  Any idea how to handle automating many of these?

Former Community Member

Not sure that you woudl want to automate it as you shoudl be adjusting the forms after conversion but if you want to do the conversion then circle back and adjust ....... there is a convertPDF.exe program in the root directory of the location where Designer is installed. This program is intended to be used in a bat file situation. If you simply run the program it will give you a list of arguements that you can use to automate the conversion settings.

Hope that helps

Paul