• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RH9.0 HTML - Disappearing Folders

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2011 Oct 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This just keeps getting weirder and weirder!

Further to the problems with merged help and multiple browsers, I now have dissapearing folders!

I have reconstructed my original help project numerous times now in an attempt to perm any combination that works and it just seems to be getting worse.

I have a folder structure in the Project Manager view which I recreate each time when I re-import all the original html files etc.

1. I create a new project
  2. In Project Manager view I create a named folder
  3. I import the original files into the folder
  4. I create another named folder .. and continue until the structure is complete
  5. I re-import the TOC
  6. I copy the child CHMs into the root of the project
  7. I re-merge the child CHMs then I notice a broken link in the TOC.

In the Project Manager, the folder which contained the file is missing (yet it still exists in Windows Explorer)

I have to delete the entry in the root.fpj file to allow me to recreate the folder but when I hit the return key the folder dissapears again (but not always).

I thought I would be clever and keep a backup copy of the project before merging but the folder dissapeared from that too.

Any clues anyone?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 20, 2011 Oct 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Can you please share the exact path and name of the missing folder?

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2011 Oct 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Attached is a screenshot showing the path to the folder in Windows Explorer and lack of in RH Project manager.

Bthe entry for the missing folder is still visible in the root.apj file. Deleting the entry allows you to create in again in RH Project Manager but it the vanishes again.

I am running RH9.0.1.232 with the security paches installed.

Reference Guide Path.png

Regards

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S drive suggests the project is on a network drive.

See item 120 at http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm

Projects need to be run locally.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

It is actually being run locally. S: is a subst drive created on C:

subst s: /d

subst s: C:\STHELP

Regards

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Partitions I understand but I am not sure what you mean by substring.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest neither do I. This is a method of working that the company has used for a long time.

A folder is created on the local drive for example, HELP. Then add to it and run the “S” batch file. The HELP folder then becomes a “local drive” called S: which can be mapped to the Network repository.

In effect, ALL files are run local including the RH executables.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke to our IT guy and he explained the SUBST is for substitution.

I think you need to speak to your IT and ascertain whether this really is a local drive or a network drive made to look local. What you are seeing is the sort of problem that can occur with network drives.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can pull the string out of the back of my laptop and the I still have the drive. It is a local drive.

To be sure though, I opened the local folder and worked from there that is, C: STHELP (name of the folder declared as the S: drive) rather than the subst S: drive itself. Unfortunately, the same thing occurs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a network cable instead of string.

I'm sorry but I have no idea what is causing this. Hopefully having established where the project is Rick will be able to offer something as he knows more about CHMs than I ever will.

Right now its 5am where he is so sit tight.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for looking anyway.

I am seriously at the point of creating a mammoth help project which will involve importing the content from the other 32 projects. This would avoid the problem with the merged help opening in new windows all the time however, if the folders are still disappearing then I would not be able to create the essential structure needed. Sort of caught between a rock and a hard place ☹

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it have to be merged CHMs? Could the help sit on a server so that your developers could work with merged webhelp? Merged CHMs seem to be giving grief these days.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the help is not just for developers. It is for a commercially distributed product and is installed on customer PCs as part of the installer package. Apart from the obvious issues of disappearing folders, my only concern with “mammoth” project would be the time it would take to display the help. The total buckets of CVHMs weighs in at 34MB!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just created a new, blank HTML project.

In Project manager view I created a folder called URL

Save all and close the project.

Re-open the project and the folder is no longer in view

Create another folder called “crap”

Close and re-open

Folder is gone!!

Are there reserved words or is RH just being polite

I think this calls for an uninstall and reinstall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How exactly are you creating the new project?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start > Programs > Adobe >Adobe RoboHelp 9 > RoboHelp HTML

Create New > Blank Project

Enter title for project (STARS) etc. > Finish

Create folder called URL

Close and re-open

Pop goes the bubble

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try going to Tools > Options and ticking Clear Project Cache. See if that fixes the problem.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I decided to uninstall (currently purging the registry) and then reinstall the Adobe suite (I have Acrobat 9 as well) before I opened a vein. Will try your suggestion when I am up and running again (although there should be no cache to clear)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there will. The CPD is the cache and that is part of each project, not the installation.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Suggest you don't clear the cache (delete the CPD) at first. If the problem has gone away you will know it was the reinstall. If you defer clearing the cache and the problem persists until you do, again you will know what fixed it. Useful if this happens again.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, I created a brand new project so there should have been no cache to clear and yet still the folders disappear!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nonetheless please try ticking that check box after creating a new project with some new folders. I have seen something similar and am trying to rule it out.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoorah! Having reinstalled RH 9 created a new project with folder names as before, they remain visible even after restarting the project. Even better, on opening the old project with invisible folders, they have also decided to come out to play. All is well with the world again ☺

Now I just have the merged help problem ☹

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am pleased to announce the re-installation of RH9 has definitely cured the vanishing folders but not the multiple help windows.

Each merged help link opens the chm of the merged help in its own window instead of the parent. Curiously, the link from the parent opens the first page of the child chm in the parent window as it should. It is only when you drill down that the child chm opens in its own window?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2011 Oct 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water!

My folders no longer vanish as soon as I create them, but the links DO!

Create a new project

Import the original html files

Merge the child chms

Compile the help

Check the HHP file - lists all the files

OOPS! broken links

Fix the links by re-importing the files into the now empty folders (3 out of 16)

TOC looks ok, no broken links

Recompile the help

Multiple help windows again

Check the HHP file – no section

Re-import the original files

Check the TOC (ok)

Check for broken links (none)

Close the project

Open the project

The same links are all broken again and the folders “look” empty

I am so fed up with this now that I have delivered a sub-set of my projects to Adobe to see if they can come up with an answer because this is wasting so much time that I do not have!

If you have any other ideas though, they would be most be most appreciated.

Cheers

An almost broken

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp