• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Firefox 7 wont play YouTube videos

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2011 Oct 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running Win7 x64. Upgraded to Firefox 7, then YouTube videos stopped playing. YouTube keeps insisting I need to 'install the latest flash player', which I have done several times, but Firefox refuses to play YouTube videos. Internet Explorer 9 (x64) plays YouTube videos fine.  I currently have Adobe Flash Player 11.0.1.152 installed.

When I click on a YT video, the message reads "You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video." and " Download it from Adobe" is a link to Adobe Flash Player, which says it includes the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Flash.  Click "Download Now" and install, but I still cant play YouTube videos in Firefox 7.

Someone in Firefox support suggested I go to "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\" and copy the "NPSWF32.dll" file.  Then I go to "...\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\vw1j8del.default", make a "plugins" folder inside the "vw1j8del.default" folder.  I paste the "NPSWF32.dll" file into the new plugins folder.  Then I can finally play YT vids in Firefox.

But this is an obscure workaround.  Why doesnt the Flash installer work correctly? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2011 Oct 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have a Plugins folder in my Firefox profile, and I can still view Youtube videos with Firefox 7.

I suggest you try the following

• go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/909550 and
    • download the 64-bit uninstaller
    • download the 64-bit installer
  • close all browser windows, then run the downloaded uninstaller
  • restart Windows
  • delete any remaining files in
    • C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash
    • C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash
  • now run the downloaded installer

Should be working now, without the copied dll in your Firefox profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2011 Oct 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply.

I removed the copied dll I had placed in "AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\...plugins"  and I followed your steps exactly, but I still can not play YouTube videos in Firefox 7.  And now, I also can not play YouTube videos in Internet Explorer 9 x64 either.   

I keep getting the same message on YT "You need to upgrade your Adobe Flash Player to watch this video."

Btw, I can play YouTube videos fine in Firefox 3 on an old machine running Windows 2000 and Flash v10,0,45,2.   This is all why I dread upgrading. It too often causes new problems.  And there's inadequate support for these apps that force you to upgrade.  I have been messing with this each day for six days now without an answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2011 Oct 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Did you also run the ActiveX installer?

What files do you have in

• C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash ?
  • C:\Windows\syswow64\Macromed\Flash ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines