• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I am unable to use Highlight Tool in Adobe Reader X. Please suggest me solutions.

New Here ,
Oct 22, 2011 Oct 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am unable to use Highlight Tool in Adobe Reader X. Please suggest me solutions.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Define "unable" - what happens when you try?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Unable" means nothing happens when I click the button. Put differently, the

button does not get activated at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2011 Oct 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could the document you are trying to use it on be secured against changes? Look at the document's properties (Control or Command-D).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply.

I checked the security settings. It says "Security Method: No Security".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do select some text before you click the highlight button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am even unable to select some text in the pdf file that I have received. I

face this difficulty in this particular file; otherwise, the highlight

function works with the other files. If you wish, I can forward you that pdf

file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2011 Oct 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the document you are working with is a scanned image so, there is no text to highlight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx graffiti, for clueing me in.

The professor says she is "working in Adobe Acrobat Pro" to create these scanned documents.

Can you (or anyone) advise me what to tell her to make them documents we can highlight?  Whadya do, just take the scanned  document that has a .pdf extension and change it to a .pdf that Adobe can read?

Obvioiusly I've never been involved with this before so thank you for your patience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She can use what's called Optical Character Recognition in Adobe Acrobat Pro to convert the image in to live text. It depends on what version she has as to how it's done.

In version 9 she would use Document>OCR text recognition.

In version X she would open the scanned PDF and use the "tools" pallet>Recognize text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2011 Oct 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am using versions 7 and 8 on different machines - is it possible to convert image to live text in those versions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2011 Oct 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 7 and 8 of what? Reader? If so then, no.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had used the "Convert page to Adobe PDF..." plugin for Firefox to get this recipe. Like the OP, I could not highlight any text for highlighting or anything else. Use the Tolls menu, Text Recognition, "In this file". Allow to finish. Now you will be able to select text for highlighting, copy, paste, anything you want. Don't forget to save the pdf file after doing this or your changed will be lost.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2016 Nov 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

millerette wrote:

I had used the "Convert page to Adobe PDF..." plugin for Firefox to get this recipe.

Unfortunately, that requires the full version of Acrobat and not Acrobat Reader. Reader doesn't add that plug-in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  I get pdf files from my college courses I would like to mark up with the highlight pen using Adobe Reader X.  Even when the pen appears on the tool box at the top of the page, it still doesn't work.  I click on the highlight tool, then click-and-drag across text in the pdf document, or I select text first and then click on the highlight tool...and NOTHING.  On some pdf's selecting text will draw a line across the page that turns into a box if I also drag the cursor down the page.  Yet on other pdf documents, the highlight tool works as advertised.  I check the security settings:  Security method = no security, commenting = allowed.  Very frustrating.  Have spent hours trying to diagnose the problem.  Could it be that the professor is using software other than Adobe to create the pdf that Reader X won't recognize, or is there something else going on here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2016 Sep 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It simply doedn't work with the Abode reader program. If you purchase the Abode.Acrobat XI and activate the OCR function, it will work.

Benjamin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi -graffiti

Thank you again for your 10.24 post.  I tried your suggestions today.  The university computer lab i use has Adobe Acrobat Pro 6.  The OCR function is under the dropdown menu "Documents>>Paper Capture".  This permits conversion a scanned page to searchable text.  Before beginning it asks you to select 1 of 2 Settings defined as:  "Primary OCR Language English", or "PDF Output Style:  Searchable Image (Exact)".  That is the only choice to be made before conversion begins.  After the conversion you can review and correct suspect words on captured pages.  I tried both choices and regardless of which ended up with a document that was searchable, but still would not permit highlighting (I selected text with the highlight tool, clicked and dragged over a captured page, and nothing happened, same result as my earlier post).  If I search for a particular word, all occurrences become shade-highlighted but if I expressly attempt to highlight a word with the highlighter it won't do it. 

Do you have any suggestions as to how I might further massage the data?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2011 Oct 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. I haven't used 6 in years.

You may want to go in to the Acrobat forum and ask there. I'm sure there's an easy remedy.

Acrobat forum: http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat/acrobat_windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2011 Oct 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, will do.  Appreciate that you provided the link, ~graffiti.  And thank you ever so much for your keen insights, advice, and willingness to take the time to read and answer my questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem. However it allowed me to use the 'pencil'. I picked yellow and the option to the far right which looks like a large box filled with shaded grey boxes. I am now using yellow pencil with the shade as my highlighter. The shade allows you to see the text better, as yellow on its own is quite loud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines