Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What files do I save on the Sever?

Sep 08, 2006 Sep 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am currently evaluating the trial version of RoboHelp and have developed a sample WebHelp project. My next step is to save the relevant files on one of our servers to see how it performs but I can’t establish which files I need to save on the server. Can anyone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Sep 08, 2006 Sep 08, 2006
Unless you've bought the RoboEngine, there is no reason to generate Webhelp Pro (output on dedicated server to track usage, providing natural-language search, etc.). Webhelp is fine.

The first panel of the UI is where you set the start page and default page for generating the output to your local machine. (I recommend changing the default !SSL! path to a directory completely outside the RH Program Files area.)

The fourth panel of the UI is where you set the server directories where you wish to...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Molaa,

you need to copy all the files (and subdirectories) in the 'webhelp' folder.
This is usually located in the SSL! subdirectory of the project folder - unless you specified a different location at compile time.

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the properties of your webhelp single source layout (right click for the menu item) you'll find one form concerning publishing. There you need to set-up details of your server location. Then when you compile, you get an option to "publish". This automatically copies all the relevant files to the server you have specified. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the properties of your webhelp single source layout (right click for the menu item) you'll find one form concerning publishing. There you need to set-up details of your server location. Then when you compile, you get an option to "publish". This automatically copies all the relevant files to the server you have specified. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly many thanks for your help - newbie at this end anyway this is where I am. . . . In the Project page I located the Single Source Layouts folder. I then highlighted the WebHelp Pro Icon (not a folder). I then right clicked and a menu window appeared what I noticed was the Publish option was greyed out? So I went to the Properties option and changed the output destination to one on my desktop then clicked next and then save. At no stage was I given the option to Publish? Have I missed a step?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you've bought the RoboEngine, there is no reason to generate Webhelp Pro (output on dedicated server to track usage, providing natural-language search, etc.). Webhelp is fine.

The first panel of the UI is where you set the start page and default page for generating the output to your local machine. (I recommend changing the default !SSL! path to a directory completely outside the RH Program Files area.)

The fourth panel of the UI is where you set the server directories where you wish to publish that same output. The beauty of publishing is that RH will only publish the few files that have changed since the previous publish, not the entire output every time (less network traffic).

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Molaa. To add to Leon's excellent advice, the 4th panel is where you SET-UP the publish option but the actual publishing is done when you compile. The problem you had by the sound of things is that your publish location was not set-up therefore you weren't given the option. Once you've defined the published file location, recompile and you will get a Publish button. Click on that and hey presto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leon & Colum I think I am back on track now - the project is published my next question is which file do I need to direct users so that they can access the project. In HTML help you would just point it to the .chm file but I don’t appear have anything like that – do I just point them to the relevant HTML Document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your webhelp properties, there is a dialog at the top of the first step that defines the start page. This is the one to direct your users to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect - I am up and running. Thanks for all your help

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Tony and all

Just wanted to offer up a suggestion regarding naming conventions. It's usually a good thing to name your WebHelp start page one of the following:

* Index.htm
* Index.html
* Default.htm
* Default.html

This accomplishes a couple of things.

1. When you hand the files to a Web person to place on a server, they should instinctively know which is the "Start Page".
2. If you deal with multiple WebHelp systems, You always know which is the start page.

Just a thought... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp