1 2 3 Previous Next 100 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2011 5:12 AM by Frustrated in AZ Go to original post
      • 80. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
        jsm28

Thanks for responding, Wendy.  'Preciate it.

• 81. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
          jsm28 Level 1

That worked!!!  Thank you very much, Wendy.

• 82. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
            knm100

I think I found a solution it works for me. What I did was uninstall it. then reinstall. when it says which folder you want it in click browse and click digital editions folder. after that it should work. hope this helps.

• 83. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
              jsm28 Level 1

Thanks for responding.  Wendy's solution (see above) worked for me, so I didn't need to try yours.

Does anyone know why Adobe seems so uninterested in this?  eReaders appear to be the coming thing.  I'd think Adobe would want their product to work?!?

• 84. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                nepean02

Adobe cannot support niche products, like windows 7 and Internet Explorer 9.  Crazy!

With freeware you get what you pay for.  Looks like the best plan is to use an eReader that does not require Adobe

• 85. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                  Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Your 'plan' can be implemented easily if you use an ereader bound to a

bookseller's website.  Amazon/Kindle, B&N/Nook are the two most prominent,

but SONY can bind their eReaders as well.  Those sites will download ebooks

directly to your ereader.  And don't forget the Apple world with iPads and

iPods.

The issues arise when you want to branch out - borrow an ebook from a

library for example.  Sometimes that works with the bound ereaders -

sometimes not.  You'll know only when you try, according to your plan.

Final thought: with over 20 million users, Windows 7 and IE9 are hardly

'niche' products.  ADE does work with them.

=================

• 86. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                    motormiller135 Level 1

I'm using Windows 7 64bit on my tower & Windows 7 32 bit on my Dell laptop with no proplems.  ADE works great.  I use Aldiko & Cool Reader as readers.

But, I'm also, using Firefox 5 & not Explorer 8 or 9.  My friend has XP Pro, the same readers & Firefox 5.  No problems.

• 87. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                      HelenSG

Hi,

I've just discovered a solution to this for my laptop running Windows Vista. I kept getting the "Could not find Digital Editions folder" error when I ran Digital Editions. The following restored the Document path for Windows Vista and then it worked -

Left click on the windows START button, right click on Documents and select Properties. Then select the Location tab (make a note of what the path is set to - in case you need to revert), then press the Restore Default button. This may then ask you to confirm the change (I think on recollection there was a yes / no question, which I selected No for about keeping documents - but check this, maybe backup if needed). This reset the Document path to its original setting. Then when I re-ran Digital Editions, there was no error message, I opened the acsm file, the document was downloaded and I could view the document!

Helen

• 88. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                        Silverstar121

So, Adobe, four years later and we still are having this problem. Really? I think I've tried everything on this forum, and still it doesn't work. Phooey. I know it's because I moved my documents folder. But darn it, I needed room on C:. And support ignores you. I am an unhappy camper. After the thousands of dollars I have spent on Adobe software, you would think they would fix the problem. But I guess I'll just have to live without it on my PC, it works just fine on my smartphone with Overdrive Media Console, and Nook.

• 89. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                          motormiller135 Level 1

I know what I'd do, I'd create a My Documents folder on Drive C:\ with a My

Digital Editions folder inside just for books and forget the problem.  Adobe

has made up their mind to ignore us & the problem.  An old saying applies,

"If you can't beat'em join'em"......

Dick

• 90. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                            Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Are you familiar with XML?  ADE uses a control file called 'MANIFEST.XML'

that contains information including the location of the library.  If you

open it in Notepad (Windows), you should be able to see the library

location.  Try changing it....

================

• 91. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                              motormiller135 Level 1

I looked at that file & I have no clue as to how to change it.  I'm not a

programmer, though I go back to DOS 1.1 on IBM Computers.

Dick

• 92. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                Frustrated in AZ Level 4

It's an internet text file, meaning that you can import it into a word

processor, change some of the parameters, and then redeposit it where the

old one was.  However, if you're not comfortable doing this, maybe someone

else on the forum who is following this thread can give you more detailed

instructions on how to do that.  I just know it exists and some of what is

in it.

============

• 93. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                  sudoku-san

I found the manifest file in my UserA/Documents/My Digital Editions folder.  But Adobe doesn't work for UserA

Also there is a manifest file in UserB/Documents/My Digital Editions folder.  Adobe can find that one.

The contents of the manifest file is not what is causing the problem.  The problem is that Adobe software is not smart enough to find the Documents folder once it has been moved.   It can't figure out where my UserA/Documents file is (because I moved it to a different drive), but it can find my UserB/Documents file (for a phony user I setup just to help out this pathetic software).  I can use Adobe under UserB, but it's a pain to switch users to accommodate this asinine problem.

• 94. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                    Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I think you're assuming that ADE would search for its folders.  Nope.

That's why the manifest file specifies their location and contents.  ADE's a

'static' application.

You could change UserA's manifest file to specify the same location for

ebooks as UserB....

==========

• 95. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                      motormiller135 Level 1

ADE doesn't search it knows where to store its files.  I've looked at the

manifest file and scanned the registry and I can see no entries that would

change the storage location.  Somewhere, buried in the digitaleditions.exe

file is the info that you have to change all I can say is.....GOOD LUCK on

that.

Dick

• 96. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                        sudoku-san Level 1

Probably ADE uses a Windows Environment "special folder" (Environment.SpecialFolder.MyDocuments)  to determine path to the user's Documents folder.  That's what I do to establish a default user folder for user puzzles in my sudoku-san software.  However, I provide ability for user to change that default to any desired folder.

What's strange (and this may be a Windows bug) is that the SpecialFolder.MyDocuments is not getting updated by Windows when MyDocuments is moved.

Anyway, this is all speculation, and the real pity is that Adobe is not fixing this really trivial but hugely annoying problem.

• 97. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                          motormiller135 Level 1

Looks like the ball is in Adobe's court.  Far as I'm concerned the case is

closed.

Dick

• 98. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                            jmfrankel

I just ran into the missing folder problem when trying to install ADE onto my wife's laptop running Windows XP SP2. In my case, the solution was a variation of what others have posted earlier.

After reading one of the first posts in this thread, I created a folder entitled My Digital Editions in the My Documents folder on the C: Drive and attempted to reinstall ADE. No luck. Then I noticed that the shortcut to the My Documents folder on the desktop was broken. I right-clicked the shortcut icon, selected Properties from the dropdown list, and reset the target to the default location of the My Documents folder. After I fixed the desktop shortcut in this manner, the next installation of ADE was successful and the software is now functional.

What I don't understand is why the installer doesn't pop up a dialog box prompting the user to locate the My Documents folder, or designate an alternate location for the My Digital Editions folder, if the My Documents folder isn't found where the installer expects it to be.

• 99. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                              sddgjgdfjkjklsdlkjfdlkljk

My approach to this 4-year-old problem was clear almost a year ago.  I sold my Sony Reader and purged my system of all Adobe software.

Delisting myself from this forum is a typical Adobe issue - there appears to be no means to get the unsubscribe to work and no support available to solve the problem.

Anyone know how to unsubscribe to this thread?

• 100. Re: Cannot find Digital Editions Folder
                                                Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Ummm...  If you look at the 'fine print' at the bottom of the message,

there's a way to stop email notifications - essentially delisting you from

Digital Editions.

================

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 6:38 PM, sddgjgdfjkjklsdlkjfdlkljk <forums@adobe.com

1 2 3 Previous Next