Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash CS5 crashing when saving

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2010 May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK! What's the deal?

I have just purchased Adobe Master Collection CS5, all $4400 worth! To give the software it's credit, I formatted my HDD and clean installed Win 7 x64 OS. I then clean installed the entire CS5 suite! As I have to somewhat justify the purchase to my boss (who paid for the software), I have gone to continue doing some work, (not even trying out new features!!), I needed to complete a task, so I got onto it.

I opened up an existing file which was created using CS4, noticed a few bugs that arose when published out using CS5 (mainly around the way that fonts were referred as), fixed those, then all was going well. As we have all done, I got involved with the work, and worked for a long time without saving. I realised this and quickly went to save. The dialog box came up advising that it needed to change versions to CS5 (rather than the original CS4), so I cancelled out and did a file Save As.

I thought I would create a new file so that if anything went wrong, I would have a backup. BLOODY LUCKY I DID, as when I went to save as, Flash crashed, loosing all the work I did. I did manage to get a screenshot of some of my AS which was lucky, but when I looked into the folder where I tried to save, there was a completley useless *.fla of 1kb in size which was completely corrupted and couldn't open up.

Resigned to the fact that I lost all my work (nothing new - as we all know it happens every now and then), I thought I would open up Flash, and the very first task would be to save it as CS5 format. Low and behold, flash crashes again, again leaving a corrupted file in it's place. For $4400, you would think you could at least save the work you have done!!

In other tests, it seems it can save new files, and some simple animations created in CS4, but what the hell do I do with all the existing work that I have spent the last year developing? Can someone please help me, as I really cannot work until this issue is resolved.

HELP!

Duncan Buchanan

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Hi,

Thanks for sending me your FLA.  It looks like the following library asset is corrupted – “08 - Help Menu/Images/progress.gif”.  Even in Flash CS4, you will see a “Preview not available” message when selecting it in the Library and you can’t drag it onto the stage.

If you delete this asset from the Library, you will be able to save your file in Flash CS 5.

Thanks,

Nivesh

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 136 Replies 136

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem. Flash CS5 keeps crashing and corrupting files I've spent hours and hours creating. This is insane. I hope someone answers your plea. I've just WASTED two days. I have nothing but a collection of corrupted FLA files to show for my time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously for the amount of money we have paid, it is ridiculous!! I am pretty eager for a fix ASAP... It's pretty hard to justify to the boss that his $ were well spent when you can't even work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, if anyone from Adobe land is reading this, would you be able to help me!

I seriously cannot do any work until this problem is fixed. Is there anyway I could send you my file, and see if it happens to you also? I have spent the last year on this one project and the interface gets developed monthly, without this interface the work that I am doing will not function.

Someone please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2010 May 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still hoping for someone to help me!!

This is the error message I recieve:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: Flash.exe
  Application Version: 11.0.0.485
  Application Timestamp: 4badda9d
  Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
  Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5bdb3b
  Exception Code: c0150010
  Exception Offset: 000845bb
  OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 3081
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409 the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

If

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 27, 2010 May 27, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the exact same issues too under Windows 7 64bit. Flash is crashing VERY OFTEN during the save process. Both Save... and Save As... are affected.

Save corrupts my FLA and Save As corrupts both my new FLA  _AND_ the original FLA! Very frustrating!

Sometimes it corrupts the file into a 1kb FLA (All work is lost). Sometimes it leaves the original filesize in tact however says 'Unexpected File Format' when you try to open it. Fautunately when the file size is left in tact I can extract the library assets due to the new XFL format (FLA is now a compressed XFL archive and can be extracted via WinRAR etc) however the DomDocument.xml file is corrupted which contains the timeline data.

Today I saved an FLA without it crashing. It said the save completed successfully. I then closed the file and reopened it shortly after only to find it was now corrupted too. Again the DomDocument.xml file is corrupt. This is beyond a joke Adobe! Is this a known issue? Is there a fix in the works?

The issue seems to be around Saving FLA to a network drive. I haven't had any crashes occur while saving the file locally (yet?). Also I've found that saving your Files as Uncompressed XLF seems to prevent crashing. It's my assumption the crashes are triggered during the compression/uncompression process when working with and saving FLA files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been contacted by Adobe, and I they are looking at one of my files as we speak. I really hope they get a fix soon!!! I am having the EXACT same issues as you are!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. Please let me know the results. I feel your pain, It's very frustrating indeed! Flash has never worked well on Windows 7. CS4 seemed to take 10 times longer to compile SWF's than it did under OSX or Windows XP/Vista. CS5 compile times are back to normal which is good. At least CS4 didnt crash and corrupt your files though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for sending me your FLA.  It looks like the following library asset is corrupted – “08 - Help Menu/Images/progress.gif”.  Even in Flash CS4, you will see a “Preview not available” message when selecting it in the Library and you can’t drag it onto the stage.

If you delete this asset from the Library, you will be able to save your file in Flash CS 5.

Thanks,

Nivesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2010 May 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How come Adobe could release Flash CS5 with this massive "Library Asset" bug? Maybe Adobe should have released a Beta after all!

Lucky I haven't been hit...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 30, 2010 May 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any thoughts of fixing this issue in a patch? The problem I have is that I have 1000's of flash files, and if I need to update any, I am worried that Flash will crash, corrupt my file and leave me with a useless *.fla file.

Cheers,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 31, 2010 May 31, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm sorry I've dropped out of this discussion. Quite simply, I gave up and

went back to an earlier and more stable version of Flash. I'll continue to

work with the old version, until all the obvious bugs in CS5 are fixed.

Also, I'm urgently learning HTML 5's animation capabilities. I look forward

to leaving Flash behind in the future.

Regards,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's the same as my issue, it seems as though it is something to do with a corrupt file in your library. Try looking through your items in your library, and if they don't preview in the previeww pane, delete them...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm...

nrajbhan wrote:

...Thanks for sending me your FLA.  It looks like the following library asset is corrupted – “08 - Help Menu/Images/progress.gif”.  Even in Flash CS4, you will see a “Preview not available” message when selecting it in the Library and you can’t drag it onto the stage...

This was excerpted from a reply from nrajbhan, and, by the looks of it, it could be something to do with Flash ... unless, of course, the file had its own Help Menu.

Oh, and by the way nrajbhan, if all that happens in Flash CS4 is that it says "Preview not available" in the Library and you can't drag it onto the stage, how come in Flash CS5 rather than saying this it mucks up your FLA file?

Adobe, you did a 10.0.2 before. Now we need a 11.0.2 patch...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nah that was a gif that was present in my Help menu that I created for my e-learning package! It is my folder structure and my image. I did delete it and all works correctly.

However, in saying that, I do agree that a patch is required! I have found a heap of people with the same problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

That was actually the first file we've investigated that did NOT crash in Flash CS4 when dragging the corrupt asset to the stage.  Also, just because it didn't crash when dragging it onto the stage doesn't mean that it won't crash in other workflows.  We've had reports of corrupted assets crashing files while publishing, saving, scrolling through the library, etc. in older versions of Flash as well.

Anyway, it's a good idea to back up your old files before working with them in Flash CS5.  We changed the file format from a binary format to a text format ... which is a big change.  So there may be edge cases (such as having corrupted assets in the Library) we did not find in our testing even with our extensive suite of FLA files and beta testers.

Some advantages of the new file format are documented by one of my co-workers at http://blog.mencio.com/.  Another benefit is that people have sometimes been able to salvage some of their work when a corrupted FLA is saved using the new file format whereas once the old, binary format was corrupted, you lost everything.

Please report any bugs you find due to the new file format at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform (Product = Flash Authoring) so we can investigate.

Thanks,

Nivesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2010 Jun 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha!! Maybe that's the problem!! Perhaps there is a bug in the saving engine in Flash CS5!! That's why only files migrated from CS4 (which uses the binary format) are affected - maybe it's because Flash makes a glitch when changing the binary to XML ... I think it's XML, yes?

Oh, and, what do you mean beta testers? There never was a public beta of Flash CS5.  Your developers alone aren't good enough for testing software. I bet anyone in the public would have spotted the binary-to-XML conversion bug when opening a project from CS4...

dikuno <><

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2010 Jun 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting data corruption migrating files from CS4, and also from new files created in CS5 when saving. The new FLA format is completely screwed. I'm experiencing corruption about 40% of the time I try to save. Its ridiculous. My best advice in the meantime before a patch arrives is to save as uncompressed XFL files. I havent experienced any corruption when saving as XFL (yet?).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2011 Aug 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, Guy

Ignore my last post. I figured it out. Thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2010 Dec 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you import the LIBRARY assets from the .fla (as a zip) into another uncorrupt .fla file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a compiled flash (swf), then you could try a decompiler, worked for me here. I know its not the smartest choice, but it did the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also made good experience in saving my files locally and not on the network, lesser files get corrupted. It looks like the speed of the saving-procedure plays a big role here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2010 Jun 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact same problem, running Flash CS5 on OSX 10.6.2 on a Macbook Pro, with the latest update... this is ridiculous, so I can't continue working with my files from CS4? I guess I should have waited a couple of months before upgrading, letting Adobe sort out the bugs etc.

Edit: I can save them as CS4 Flash Files without the software crashing on me, good enough for now. Still ridiculous though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 01, 2010 Jul 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Markusweden,

Thanks for emailing us your FLA off-list so we could investigate.

The following .png files are corrupt in the original CS4 file:

‘brush_under_alla.png’

‘niquitin_ask.png’

‘niquitin1.png’, ‘…2.png’, ‘…3.png’, ‘…-logo.png’

‘organic1.png’, ‘…2.png’, ‘…3.png’

Flash CS5 crashes when saving as CS5 because Flash has to re-save *all* data when saving a legacy file into the new file format.  Once it’s in that file format though, Flash can just incrementally save subsequent file saves, just like we do in Flash CS4.  It’s just that first save requires all data to be serialized out into the new file format.  Flash CS5 does not crash when saving as CS4 because it’s just incrementally saving the document (ie. the library assets don’t have to be serialized into the binary .fla file again).

Note that if you made any changes that requires these assets to be resaved in Flash CS4, you will crash in Flash CS4 as well.  Thus, please re-open the FLA in Flash CS4 and re-import or re-create these corrupt PNG assets.  Then, you will be able to continue working with the FLA file in Flash CS5.

I hope this helps.  We are investigating ways to skip the file serialization when Flash encounters corrupt assets and to notify users of which assets are corrupt to prevent this issue.

Thanks,

Nivesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 04, 2010 Jul 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nivesh: I've had CS5 FLA's corrupt too during saves, not just when converting a file from CS4 to CS5. You never emailed me back about my example FLA's either btw. To be fair it's always when saving to a networked drive which adobe doesn't officially support. The problem with blaming the networked drive is I can save as CS5 XFL onto the same drive without any corruption however saving as a CS5 FLA has a very high chance of corruption. Also CS4 FLA's never corrupt on the same networked drive. It seems to be an issue with the compression/extraction process I believe considering CS5 FLA's are archives instead of binary now. Also why does the DOMDocument.xml file corrupt? It's text!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines