• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When a paste copied text into InDesign Illustrator but without the trace?

Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a paste copied text into InDesign Illustrator but without the trace?

It seems incredible to do a composition in Illustrator and copy-paste to make InDesign and draw all the text.

I'm using CS4 but I see in the help that CS5 is the same.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I don't understand the question here, or if it really is a feature request. Are you asking how to copy text from Illustrator into InDesign and have the copied text still editable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly! When a design mockups in Illustrator and copy / paste it into InDesign outlines all the texts.

I know you can save it to "ai" and import it into InDesign InDesign but if I want to move, rearrange or create new items must go back to Illustrator for editing and spend time. Why do I need two files and two programs overlapped if I could do it all in InDesign? Maybe the solution is to put more Illustrator tools in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't much help for what you describe, but if you want to move text from Illy to ID and have it editable, you must copy it as text (highlight with the text tool) rather than as an object. ID's text engine is quite a bit more sophisticated, and is not yet shared among applications.

For what it's worth, most experienced InDesign users set as much type in ID as they can. I would never set block text that might be subject to editing in Illustrator, nor would I usually copy/paste from Illustrator into ID. I've learned from expereince that if I need to make the art in Illustrator I'm better off saving as .ai and placing that because it is then re-usable for other projects. Pasted paths would need to be re-saved in ID as a snippet in order to be easily accessible for future use, and there is no easy way to edit once, update many.

I view InDesign as a ssort of box or framework into which you fit the various pieces of your puzzle, but not a place for constructing complex graphical content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know that I can copy the text with the text tool. Although I would like to copy / paste from Illustrator to InDesign for editing if you need without having to play through two programs.

Thanks for everything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This begs the question, then, why not set the text in InDesign instread of Illustrator in the first place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines