Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

For all recording/playback users : on 11/10/11, you need to upgrade your SDK

Former Community Member

Hi folks,

I'm sorry to have to announce this, but we're in the process of making some upgrades to our service infrastructure (upgrading some FMSes, specifically, to address security), and it's going to have an unintended side-effect.

In the FMS version we got, new method calls are being embedded in the FLVs we record, and there's no way to turn them off =(. This means that clients which try to play back those FLVs need to have code to catch those method calls, or an exception will be thrown.

It's really lousy, but we need to perform this upgrade ASAP. Thursday of next week, we'll ship a new SDK, and you'll just need to recompile your apps with that SDK. Older recordings (recorded before 11/03/11) should be unaffected.

Please know that we take issues like this EXTREMELY seriously. This is the first time in the history of LCCS that we've made a change which forces you to recompile, and we intend on NEVER doing so again. We're a little stuck between a rock and a hard place here.

Thanks for your understanding

nigel

[Edit - we had to move the date back a week, due to Nigel's Law - see my post below...].

8 Replies

Level 4

Just a clarification:

1)

On 11/03/11 - a new LCCS SDK will be released

On 11/03/11 - servers are upgraded

On 11/03 and later:
* users on LCCS 2.1.0 and below will NOT get their sessions recorded and will NOT be able to play them back.

* Also won't be able to playback older sessions

Are all of these correct ?

2) Is it possible to release the SDK sooner so that we can test our app with it and release on 11/03, otherwise our timeframe to test/release is less than a day which is fairly hard to do.

Thanks,

Alex G.

Former Community Member

Hi Alex,

On 11/03/11 - a new LCCS SDK will be released

Correct.

On 11/03/11 - servers are upgraded

Correct.

users on LCCS 2.1.0 and below will NOT get their sessions recorded

Incorrect. They will be able to record sessions.

and will NOT be able to play them back.

Partially correct – they’ll be able to play back any recording made prior to 11/03, but not ones after, without a recompile.

Also won't be able to playback older sessions

Incorrect. These should be fine.

As to releasing early – would an early build posted here on the forums work for you? Which SWC would you like to see? We’re literally taking the 2.1 release branch, and adding this one fix, so it should be an incredibly safe build.

hope that helps

nigel

Level 4

Ohh ok thanks! Thanks helps understand the situation better.

I'd prefer the actual release ... but earlier It doesn't sound like an emergency for us, just wondering if you guys could release the official SDK earlier ( before 11/03 ). I guess the new SDK might not work with the older servers ?

Level 2

Thanks for the heads-up

cheers

glenn

tinylion uk

Level 3

Hi Everyone:

Happy update day.  I'm ready for re-compiling today.

-Eric

Former Community Member

Hi All,

I think I’ve just managed to prove Nigel’s Law. Which states :

“If, at any time for a hosted service, you specify a release date publicly, that date will slip.”

So, we encountered an issue building the latest SDK (it’s a really boring story, involving certificates, which I won’t get into). We’re not going to make any changes today, but what we’ll do is this :

1) a quick update to the SDK will come in the next few days. No service changes will occur at that point, so you won’t be required to re-compile, although we request that you do for testing’s sake.

2) Next week, on Thursday, we’ll push the service update during our regular window (5-8PM PT). At that point, any new recordings will need the new SDK to play back properly. Old ones will still be fine.

thanks everyone for your patience.

nigel

Employee

Don't forget the update is TONIGHT (6pm PST). We'll update the SDK first, then do rolling restart of our FMS servers (your client should get disconnected and quickly reconnect to a new server).

Former Community Member

LCCS 2.2 was pushed live yesterday evening (6-8pm PT).

Please read through this thread to see how it might impact your LCCS recordings.

Thanks,

LCCS Team