15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2006 4:04 PM by Newsgroup_User RSS

Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver

WalkingStick Community Member
      I recently switched from GoLive to Dreamweaver. One thing I have not been able to do that I miss tremendously is copy an image in Photoshop and paste it into Dreamweaver. In GoLive when you did this, you would get a save for web dialogue allowing you to save it in the format you want, then it would appear in the HTML document. When I try to paste into Dreamweaver, it acts as if there is nothing on the clipboard at all. I've checked to make sure Photoshop is indeed exporting the image on the clipboard (by pasting into other apps) but it just does not work in Dreamweaver.

Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
          Newsgroup_User Community Member
          From Photoshop or Paint shop Pro I finish the image, optimize it and 'Save
          to' a folder in my site's files. That's pretty easy!

--
          Eleanor T. Culling
          Leavenworth, WA
          Enjoy my photography at
          www.eleanorstravels.com
          "WalkingStick" <dale@walking-stick.com> wrote in message
          news:edsja5$fj4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          >I recently switched from GoLive to Dreamweaver. One thing I have not been
          >able
          > to do that I miss tremendously is copy an image in Photoshop and paste it
          > into
          > Dreamweaver. In GoLive when you did this, you would get a save for web
          > dialogue
          > allowing you to save it in the format you want, then it would appear in
          > the
          > HTML document. When I try to paste into Dreamweaver, it acts as if there
          > is
          > nothing on the clipboard at all. I've checked to make sure Photoshop is
          > indeed
          > exporting the image on the clipboard (by pasting into other apps) but it
          > just
          > does not work in Dreamweaver.
          >
          > Any ideas?
          >

• 2. Re: Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
            > From Photoshop or Paint shop Pro I finish the image, optimize it and 'Save
            > to' a folder in my site's files. That's pretty easy!

yep, me too

--
            Jo

"E. T. Culling" <etcetc@notatcrcwnet.com> wrote in message
            news:edsjjn$fvb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > From Photoshop or Paint shop Pro I finish the image, optimize it and 'Save
            > to' a folder in my site's files. That's pretty easy!
            >
            > --
            > Eleanor T. Culling
            > Leavenworth, WA
            > Enjoy my photography at
            > www.eleanorstravels.com
            > "WalkingStick" <dale@walking-stick.com> wrote in message
            > news:edsja5$fj4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >>I recently switched from GoLive to Dreamweaver. One thing I have not been
            >>able
            >> to do that I miss tremendously is copy an image in Photoshop and paste it
            >> into
            >> Dreamweaver. In GoLive when you did this, you would get a save for web
            >> dialogue
            >> allowing you to save it in the format you want, then it would appear in
            >> the
            >> HTML document. When I try to paste into Dreamweaver, it acts as if there
            >> is
            >> nothing on the clipboard at all. I've checked to make sure Photoshop is
            >> indeed
            >> exporting the image on the clipboard (by pasting into other apps) but it
            >> just
            >> does not work in Dreamweaver.
            >>
            >> Any ideas?
            >>
            >
            >

• 3. Re: Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
              But that is my point. This adds another step to the process. I have always worked two fisted, that is photoshop and goLive open at the same time, copying and pasting from one to the other. Having to save the files out of photoshop then going into Dreamweaver and importing them slows me down considerably.
              • 4. Re: Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
                On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 20:57:04 +0000 (UTC), "WalkingStick"
                <dale@walking-stick.com> wrote:

>But that is my point. This adds another step to the process. I have always
                >worked two fisted, that is photoshop and goLive open at the same time, copying
                >and pasting from one to the other. Having to save the files out of photoshop
                >then going into Dreamweaver and importing them slows me down considerably.

Those of us who have not had that functionality before, don't miss it.
                ;-) It does sound like a nice idea. Suggest it here:
                http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Gary
                • 5. Re: Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
                  WalkingStick wrote:

> But that is my point. This adds another step to the process. I have always
                  > worked two fisted, that is photoshop and goLive open at the same time, copying
                  > and pasting from one to the other. Having to save the files out of photoshop
                  > then going into Dreamweaver and importing them slows me down considerably.
                  >
                  I have a "web ready" folder for any project then upload tehe images
                  before linking to them

Hugh W

--

new phone = new daily blog
                  http://upsrev622.blogspot.com/

family history
                  http://hughw36.blogspot.com
                  • 6. Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
                    Yeah, I've been doing it that way (pasting from Photoshop to goLive) for over 6 years now. I finally took the plunge and moved to Dreamweaver after the latest rev of GoLive became unusable because of its tremendous loss of application speed. But now my productivity has plummeted. Instead of "Copy from Photoshop - Switch to Go LIve - Paste", now it is Copy from Photoshop - New Doc - Paste - Save - Switch to Dreamweaver - Refresh (images directory in Dreamweaver) - Drag file onto page". 3 steps to 7 steps.
                    • 7. Re: Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
                      bubblesblow
                      One possiable solution is use Fireworks instead of Photoshop. Being Fireworks is made by Macromedia, that can speed up your work because the integration between the 2 is easier being they are both from the same company. I can transfer anything from Fireworks to Dreamweaver but I cannot say the same for Flash to Dreamweaver, that is a complete mystery to me.

Good luck
                      • 8. Re: Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
                        On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 04:12:37 +0000 (UTC), "WalkingStick"

>Instead of "Copy from Photoshop - Switch to Go LIve - Paste",
                        >now it is Copy from Photoshop - New Doc - Paste - Save - Switch to Dreamweaver
                        >- Refresh (images directory in Dreamweaver) - Drag file onto page". 3 steps to
                        >7 steps.

After the paste into GL, you still have to deal with the Save dialog,
                        didn't you? So you really had four steps, right?

Using the 7 step method:

New Doc (Ctrl-N)
                        Paste (Ctrl-V)

Takes about a second.

My images directory updates just fine without a manual refresh, so that
                        drops a step.

So you've gone from four steps to six. I know this has disrupted your
                        accustomed work flow and, until you get used to it, it will seem very
                        slow to you. However, the actual impact is pretty small. Give it a bit
                        of time and see if it doesn't become more natural to you. And do make
                        the suggestion.

Gary
                        • 9. Re: Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
                          WalkingStick wrote:
                          > Yeah, I've been doing it that way for over 6 years now. I finally took the
                          > plunge and moved to Dreamweaver after the latest rev of GoLive became unusable
                          > because of its tremendous loss of application speed. But now my productivity
                          > has plummeted. Instead of "Copy from Photoshop - Switch to Go LIve - Paste",
                          > now it is Copy from Photoshop - New Doc - Paste - Save - Switch to Dreamweaver
                          > - Refresh (images directory in Dreamweaver) - Drag file onto page". 3 steps to
                          > 7 steps.
                          >
                          Just curious: where in the process do you optimize for the web?

--
                          Bonnie
                          in California
                          8 ^ )
                          • 10. Re: Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
                            Yeah as Gary pointed out, in my zeal to prove the simplicity of the way I used to do things, I missed a step. After hitting paste in goLive the "Save for Web" dialogue pops up, allowing you to optimize it. Once hitting save though it appears in the goLive doc wherever you pasted it.
                            • 11. Re: Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
                              quote:

Using the 7 step method:

New Doc (Ctrl-N)
                              Paste (Ctrl-V)

Takes about a second.

My images directory updates just fine without a manual refresh, so that
                              drops a step.

So you've gone from four steps to six. I know this has disrupted your
                              accustomed work flow and, until you get used to it, it will seem very
                              slow to you. However, the actual impact is pretty small. Give it a bit
                              of time and see if it doesn't become more natural to you. And do make
                              the suggestion.

Gary

Yeah, as I said I've been doing web design for years, I'm quite proficient at:
                              Copy Merged (Ctrl-Shift-C)
                              New Doc (Ctrl-N)
                              Paste (Ctrl-P)
                              Save (Ctrl-S) (Enter)
                              Close Window (Ctrl-W)
                              All pretty darn fast. But I always, always look for a way to shave seconds off. And when I have to add some back on, it hurts.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I guess the answer is, "Suck it up."

BTW, there are features I like considerably more than goLive so it is not a total wash, in fact there may be some speed gains in other areas that make up for the lack of a paste feature.

And Gary, I did suggest this to the Dreamweaver team.
                              • 12. Re: Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
                                On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 14:14:59 +0000 (UTC), "WalkingStick"

> And Gary, I did suggest this to the Dreamweaver team.

Happy to hear it. Let's hope it makes it in a future version.

Gary
                                • 13. Re: Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
                                  Hugh: I'm just curious - what does your family history have to do with DW?
                                  Or your new phone for that matter?

--
                                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                  Adobe Community Expert
                                  (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                  ==================
                                  http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                                  http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                  http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                  http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                                  ==================

"Hugh Watkins" <hugh.watkins@gmail.com> wrote in message
                                  news:edtav9$a2m$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > WalkingStick wrote:
                                  >
                                  >> But that is my point. This adds another step to the process. I have
                                  >> always worked two fisted, that is photoshop and goLive open at the same
                                  >> time, copying and pasting from one to the other. Having to save the files
                                  >> out of photoshop then going into Dreamweaver and importing them slows me
                                  >> down considerably.
                                  >>
                                  > I have a "web ready" folder for any project then upload tehe images
                                  > before linking to them
                                  >
                                  > Hugh W
                                  >
                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > new phone = new daily blog
                                  > http://upsrev622.blogspot.com/
                                  >
                                  > family history
                                  > http://hughw36.blogspot.com

• 14. Re: Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
                                    Murray *ACE* wrote:
                                    > Hugh: I'm just curious - what does your family history have to do with DW?
                                    > Or your new phone for that matter?
                                    >
                                    it is a usenet convention called a "signature"
                                    I use nntp to read this group
                                    in Mozilla 1.7.13 suite

the two dashes are a delimiter which enables newsreaders to ignore all
                                    which follows according to the settings

Hugh W

--

new phone = new daily blog
                                    http://upsrev622.blogspot.com/

family history
                                    http://hughw36.blogspot.com
                                    • 15. Re: Pasting from Photoshop to Dreamweaver
                                      Check my sig. It's not like I don't know what those are! 8)

I'm just curious why you are promoting such things in a DW forum?

--
                                      Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                                      Adobe Community Expert
                                      (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                                      ==================
                                      http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                                      http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                      http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                                      http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                                      ==================

"Hugh Watkins" <hugh.watkins@gmail.com> wrote in message
                                      news:edvfne$lhs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > Murray *ACE* wrote:
                                      >> Hugh: I'm just curious - what does your family history have to do with
                                      >> DW? Or your new phone for that matter?
                                      >>
                                      > it is a usenet convention called a "signature"
                                      > I use nntp to read this group
                                      > in Mozilla 1.7.13 suite
                                      >
                                      > the two dashes are a delimiter which enables newsreaders to ignore all
                                      > which follows according to the settings
                                      >
                                      > Hugh W
                                      >
                                      > --
                                      >
                                      > new phone = new daily blog
                                      > http://upsrev622.blogspot.com/
                                      >
                                      > family history
                                      > http://hughw36.blogspot.com