Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish to MS Word failed on a PC

Jun 01, 2011 Jun 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see there is a similar post about this issue (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3304926), but with Mac, not PC.  I get the same error message described in the other post for Mac users, but when I tried to use the hotfix at http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/902/cpsid_90224.html the file wasn't compatible with a PC.

I have 2 people regulary using Captivate 5 and trying to use the Publish - Print option to create a document of their Captivate project.  This option was initially working for both of them, and then it just stopped working.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to resolve this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

I also have this issue with Captivate for a few users but not others. I was able to narrow it down, however, to the following:

Environment is Windows 7 64 Bit running Office 2010 32 bit

When the User Template folder location is set to our network drive (U:\template), if the folder exists and there is a normal.dotx, it will fail almost every time.

If I set the user template folder location to a local drive, it will consistently work.

If I set the user template folder location to a network drive/folde

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What version of Captivate and what version of Word? If you are using Captivate 4 or earlier and Word was upgraded, that could explain things.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's Captivate v.5 and Word v.2010 on a PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2011 Jul 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find a solution. I'm having the same problem with both Captivate 5 and Captivate 5.5 on Windows 7 with Office 2010. Not only can I not publish to Word, I can't export project captions and closed captions either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2011 Jul 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Charles,

Which version of Word are you using: 32-bit or 64-bit?

I had similar issues with the 64-bit version, but 32-bit works fine. A lot of 64-bit apps in Office 2010 do create problems in combination with other applications, that is the reason I reverted to the 32-bit versions.

In CP5, I had to open the Word-document manually in Word, couldn't open it after exporting with the dialog box in Captivate 5.0, but in 5.5 everything seems working as expected. I'm using Win7 Professional and Word 2010 32-bit, both in English. Do you have both apps in the same language as well, remember having more problems when I had Office in Dutch, to avoid that I now installed the English version.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 06, 2011 Sep 06, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The applications are Word 2010 (32-bit), Windows XP, and Captivate 5 and I still get the Print error.  I am going to try upgrading to Captivate 5.5 to see if that resolves the issue.  We are also receiving Office 2010 SP1 in a few weeks.  Hopefully I can isolate each change and see what (if anything) resolves this issue.

I have the same set-up on my own laptop and I don't get the Print error.  I wonder if anyone else has come across another application that could be causing this issue.  I've tried to do a comparison between my laptop and the one's with the error.  So far the only difference is that Quicktime is installed on my laptop.  Is there any chance the installation of Quicktime is making my laptop work and other's not work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

We have just got Captivate 5.5 and similar problem, in that I can't export captions to Word 2010 - we are using 32 bit Office 2010, with Windows 7. Captivate 4 worked OK.

Did anyone reachh a solution, they could share??

Cheers, Laura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 26, 2011 Oct 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue with Captivate for a few users but not others. I was able to narrow it down, however, to the following:

Environment is Windows 7 64 Bit running Office 2010 32 bit

When the User Template folder location is set to our network drive (U:\template), if the folder exists and there is a normal.dotx, it will fail almost every time.

If I set the user template folder location to a local drive, it will consistently work.

If I set the user template folder location to a network drive/folder that doesn't exist, it also works.

If I set the user template folder location to a network driver/folder that exists but doesn't contain a normal.dotx, it will work once and then fail (word will create the normal.dotx on first publish).

Don't know if this helps anyone else or not or if anyone else can confirm that this solves their issue. I'll try to contact Adobe regarding this to see if they can get a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 01, 2011 Nov 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm very interested in getting more information about your fix.  Where are you setting this User Template folder location (Captivate, Word, Windows).  If it is set in Captivate, where exactly in Captivate are you setting this location?  Or, are you talking about the actual location of your template file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I wasn't clear. It's the Word template location in Microsoft Word itself. In Word 2010, it's under File|Options|Advanced|File Locations|User Templates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're brilliant - that worked perfectly!!  I've been struggling with this issue for months.  Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you so much, you saved me a lot of time and stress

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 16, 2012 Jan 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I had the same problem. What I did :

- open in Word Adobe Captivate.dot file located in : Program>Adobe>Adobe Captivate 5> Gallery> Printoutput

- save it as Adobe Captivate.dotx

- I don't know if I needed to restart the program but I did it

- It worked

I hope this works for you !

L

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 22, 2012 Mar 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case, it was that my Word templates were pointing to a network drive. I changed the network drives to local C:\ template directory, and it worked.

How to change your template directory: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924460

In Word 2010, it's File > Options > Advanced > File Locations button. Look for the network drives and set them to local.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. Windows 8 64 bit, captivate 5, word 2010. My project will get to 10% then crashes. I have renamed asper poster 11 but no luck. Is this as simple as a patch?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2013 Oct 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only Captivate 6.1 or above is approved for Windows 8, not Captivate 5.  I can assure you that Cp5 will get no patches now to allow it to work with Win8.

You may need to consider upgrading to Cp7, which will work with Win8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This won't necessarily be helpful for you, but I found my way to this thread when experiencing the same problem with Captivate 6 and 7 on a Mac.

Here's what worked for me; I created a Word document with the exact same name in the Documents folder. For some reason, when I overwrite the file when publishing from Captivate, it works - if there's no file in there to begin with, I get the "Publish to MS Word Failed".

It's a bit of a pain, and a workaround, but it does appear to work. It's frustrating to pay this much for such incredibly buggy software, but that'll at least get you through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources