Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Changing the installation path for Adobe Reader X under Windows XP

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2011 Oct 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Adobe Reader on an external drive called G:\

Now I do not have this G:\ drive anymore and I want to install Adobe Reader X on my main drive : C:\ but when I download the software there is no possibility to select a new path.  Adobe Reader X automatically tries to install itself on the G:\ drive and fails with the comment : G:\ Drive is no longer valid.

How can I force the installation on my C:\ drive in the Progam Files ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

All the other ideas to install through the command line have failed as when I enter the command as msiexec /i  INSTALLDIR="Location to Install" /qb the system simpy opens the Windows Installer and nothing happens.

You need to run these commands via command line.

1. Go to start menu

2. click on run

3. type cmd in field next to open

4. Press enter

5. Command prompt will pop up

Type the command to launch your installer from here i.e.

msiexec /i <Path to Reader MSI> INSTALLDIR="Location to Install" /qb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Oct 30, 2011 Oct 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can install it from commandline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2011 Oct 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but where and what is the command line ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try installing via command line

command line for MSI installer is

command line for web installer is

<Path to web Installer> /msi INSTALLDIR="Location to Install" /qb

I hope this will help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At what time do I have to go to the command line (if you can explain how to do this) ?  Before I go to Adobe site for the download ?  I am not sure I understand what you are explaining me.  Can you give me some details ?  Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly go to control panel -> Add Remove Programs and check if there is any entry for Reader X. If it is present, uninstall it by clicking on uninstall button (it gets highlighted when you select reader X entry in Add Remove Programs). Let the uninstallation complete.

Download Reader from adobe site

http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise

on to your local machine. Install then using command line

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2011 Nov 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had no luck with this solution. All that happens is that the WINDOWS INSTALLER window open itself... Any idea ? I am at a lost here !!! Thanks

Firstly go to control panel -> Add Remove Programs and check if there is any entry for Reader X. If it is present, uninstall it by clicking on uninstall button (it gets highlighted when you select reader X entry in Add Remove Programs). Let the uninstallation complete. Download Reader from adobe site http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise on to your local machine. Install then using command line msiexec /i INSTALLDIR="Location to Install" /qb

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at . In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Adobe Reader by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use the "Change Destination Folder" option on the installer panel:

ARip.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please tell me how and where to reach the installer panel that you show on the picture ?

This seems like a very good idea except that when I go to ADOBE's site the installer panel appears nowhere.  The only option offered is "dowload now".  When I do this, I download the compressed file on my desktop.  Then whe I double click this file the system installs it without any option of directory change.  At the end the installation fails with a message : Drive G:\ is no longer valid.  No offfer to install on another drive is made at any time...

All the other ideas to install through the command line have failed as when I enter the command as msiexec /i  INSTALLDIR="Location to Install" /qb the system simpy opens the Windows Installer and nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gberthon wrote:

Can you please tell me how and where to reach the installer panel that you show on the picture ?

You should get that automatically when using the full installer from http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to run these commands via command line.

1. Go to start menu

2. click on run

3. type cmd in field next to open

4. Press enter

5. Command prompt will pop up

Type the command to launch your installer from here i.e.

Now it should work for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible to make a partition of my C:\ drive and to create a new virtual G:\ drive and to fool the system into installing Adobe Reader X in this virtual G:\ drive which it would find ?  If it is possible, how could it be done ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gberthon wrote:

Would it be possible to make a partition of my C:\ drive and to create a new virtual G:\ drive and to fool the system into installing Adobe Reader X in this virtual G:\ drive which it would find ?  If it is possible, how could it be done ?

You could (if the other solution does not work) even just try to create a drive letter G: without making a partition.  Use the SUBST command in a Command prompt:

subst G: C:\any-folder

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2011 Nov 02, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Finally I've got it !!!!!  Thanks to all your tips I became a little less shy and made it.  The solution was to reinstall the old G:\ drive that I had removed and to restart the installation of the program.  At this moment, the installer panel appeared with the famous  "Change Destination Folder" option and I was able to place Adobe Reader X in C:\Program Files.

Thanks to all of you for your precious help.

gberthon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines