• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gobbledeegook in HTML Help topic

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2006 Sep 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, when I compile my help into MS HTML Help, it comes out great, except for one major flaw:
The default topic displays the following nonsense:

Arial;Courier New;Symbol;Wingdings;Tahoma;Times New Roman CE;Times New Roman Cyr;Times New Roman Greek;Times New Roman Tur;Times New Roman (Hebrew);Times New Roman (Arabic);Times New Roman Baltic;Times New Roman (Vietnamese);Arial CE;Arial Cyr;Arial Greek;Arial Tur;Arial (Hebrew);Arial (Arabic);Arial Baltic;Arial (Vietnamese);Courier New CE;Courier New Cyr;Courier New Greek;Courier New Tur;Courier New (Hebrew);Courier New (Arabic);Courier New Baltic;Courier New (Vietnamese);Tahoma CE;Tahoma Cyr;Tahoma Greek;Tahoma Tur;Tahoma (Hebrew);Tahoma (Arabic);Tahoma Baltic;Tahoma (Vietnamese);Tahoma (Thai);

Does anyone know how to stop this?
Thanks,
HmC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 08, 2006 Sep 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi minchou and welcome to the forums. What you have is a list of fonts - perhaps fonts used in the project. To figure out why they are there, you need to look at that topic in True Code view. What has probably happened is that an HTML tag (the formatting commands in angle brackets in True Code) has gotten corrupted and part of the command is being read by the compiler as text.

Hope this gives you a place to start,

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2006 Sep 09, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Snippet 51 on my site. That is about a problem when generating winhelp but what you describe is believed to result from the same root cause but when generating a chm file. Probably you will need to uninstall the patch (check with your systems administrator first).

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 11, 2006 Sep 11, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me which patch, Peter? The Word patch or one of the RH patches? I am a freelancer so I am my own administrator.

John and Peter, thank you both for your responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi minchou. Peter refers to the Microsoft Patch KB917334. This is the patch he was referring to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The patch number is in the snippet to which I referred.
Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, I found a kluge that solves my problem in the short term: Insert a manual page break b4 the first topic in a document (I noticed that's where all the weird text was occurring).

I am not too familiar with True Code or that kind of thing (last time I created help systems was back for Windows 95). I will need to bone up for my clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You know, I found a kluge that solves my problem in the short term: Insert a manual page break b4 the first topic in a document (I noticed that's where all the weird text was occurring).

I am not too familiar with True Code or that kind of thing (last time I created help systems was back for Windows 95). I will need to bone up for my clients.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell me which patch, Peter? The Word patch or one of the RH patches? I am a freelancer so I am my own administrator.

John and Peter, thank you both for your responses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Minchou

Are you reading the replies?

Twice I have referred you to Snippets on my site. Here is the link. Click here. The patch is listed there.

Addtionally Colum gave you the information in his reply. "Peter refers to the Microsoft Patch KB917334"

You say have found a kludge. Well done as that is about the only solution anyone has posted and it is easy. I believe the root problem will be fixed but meantime I will be adding that to the information on my site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2006 Sep 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I am terribly sorry about all those replies! All of them (except for the first one, of course) were an accident. I had gone backwards in my browser for some reason, and when I see that Reply or Send button my unthinking instinct is to just press it.

And the worst part is that I did it 3 or 4 times!

Ahh, my feeble feeble mind.

Thank you again for your replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp