8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2006 2:05 AM by Bill_in_Stlou

Contribute cannot verify your connection information

andres_eriksen

I'm connected to the web files via local/network connection but I'm getting this error:

"Contribute cannot verify your connection information"

Any suggestions

Andres
        • 1. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
          amadas
          Are you on Mac or windows?

Contribute throws that error when you have a mismatch between Website url and LAN Location where site is residing.

in order to avoid this, Verify the following:

1. Check your website url in Browser. Does it work fine? Contribute will throw an error incase your website url is incorrect and still you want to connect to it. Are you getting this error?
          2. Is your LAN Path correct?

Need more help.. i am sure to sort it out. Write back to me.

- Arun
          Contribute Team.
          • 2. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
            mumf
            I think I am having the same problem too, I can connect just fien using an FTP program, but when I enter the details into Contribute, it seems to connect, and I get to the part where you have to enter your name and email address, but then when you try to process, it comes up with this error "unknown error" great help!

My client cannot connect either but they get a different error, saying "unable to connect"...what the hell is going on, I seem to always have a problem with Contribute 3!! - not happy bunny!

Any ideas?
            • 3. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
              Level 7
              > I think I am having the same problem too, I can connect just fien
              > using an FTP program, but when I enter the details into Contribute, it
              > seems to connect, and I get to the part where you have to enter your
              > name and email address, but then when you try to process, it comes up
              > with this error "unknown error" great help!
              >
              > My client cannot connect either but they get a different error,
              > saying "unable to connect"...what the hell is going on, I seem to
              > always have a problem with Contribute 3!! - not happy bunny!
              >
              > Any ideas?
              >

Hi,
              Contribute requires Write permissions for the site root folder you have connected.

See if this is the issue.

Hope this helps !

-Avinash

• 4. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                mumf Level 1
                Hi

The permissions on the folder are set to "777"
                • 5. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                  Upperdecker
                  I have the same problem. Dreamweaver connects to my server through local/network but contribute give me the "Contribute cannot verify your connection information" error. My website works fine in my browser and the path to my folders is correct. I'm using windows xp por OS with admin rights. Does contribute have anything to do with the testing server DW connects to?
                  • 6. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                    Bill_in_Stlou
                    I'm having the same problem as andres in the original post, the message comes up when trying to Continue out of the "Remote Path Info" box. I am able to browse to the location so Contribute does know its there. This is with Contribute 4 on Mac OS X connecting to a Linux server.

I manually ran the FTP connection tests via command line:
                    http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19496
                    and all tests passed successfully

I also downloaded and ran FTP Connection Checker (on my Windows machine) at:
                    http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_19012
                    and passed all tests successfully.

The wording with these tests imply that they are the same tests run by Contribute, i doubt that to be the case since these pass but Contribute fails.

I have tried this with the site root and _mm folder set to permissions of 777 with no luck. I am able to connect and edit successfully with Dreamweaver and FTP with Transmit (Mac OS X).

I'm about out of things to try and my deadline to train the client is coming up. Any further insight on this would sure be appreciated!
                    • 7. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                      fwxcookies Level 1
                      Hi, similar problem experienced a few months back, very frustrating. The ISP (eventually!) found the cause, which relates to how Contribute confirms an initial connection. Edited version of ISP's reply:

"We have been able to replicate the issue you were having and believe it was being caused by the site being housed on multiple web servers ("multi-homing"). This is done for load balancing and high availability.

As you would be aware when Contribute checks the set up information it writes temporary files then attempts to read them. If the load balancer sends the read request to one of the servers that the temp file wasn't written to, Contribute correctly sees this as a failure.

We have disabled load balancing ...etc. (this fixed the problem, until they inadvertently swapped the site back to multi-homing a few weeks later - same problem again, and again fixed as soon as they disabled load balancing).

If you ever run into this problem again an nslookup or dig will identify the issue straight away. The results will include multiple IP's for the URL."

Suggest contacting your ISP and checking this as a possible reason.
                      • 8. Re: Contribute cannot verify your connection information
                        Bill_in_Stlou Level 1
                        fwxcookies,

It turns out this site is not multi-homed, so that's not the issue. But that certainly was a plausible answer and I'm sure your post will save someone a lot of trouble sometime!

The search continues...