14 Replies Latest reply: Nov 7, 2011 4:53 AM by alexanderdavid RSS

tutorial builder dose not show images

alexanderdavid Community Member

every thing works fine until I load the tutorial player and connect to cs5. look for the resulting tutorial I have just made and everything except the before and after pictures are showing.

If I open the html file in internet explorer everything works except the linking with CS5. The only error I get at this stage is Internet Explorer restricts this web page from running scripts or ActiveX controls, which i can overcome if i Allow blocked content.

has any one any Ideas on how to go forward on this.

• 1. Re: tutorial builder dose not show images
          Mira D Adobe Employee

Hi Alexander,

Thanks for trying out Tutorial Builder. I am looking into your problem, but I want to make sure I understand the situation clearly.

You are using Windows 7.

You can create tutorials with Tutorial Builder.

You can view these tutorials in Internet Explorer.

When you try to view the same tutorials with our Tutorial Player app, the images are missing but everything else works. You can connect to Phtoshop and you can send it commands. In other words, you can replay the steps in the generated tutorial.

Is this correct ?

Thanks,

Mira

• 2. Re: tutorial builder dose not show images
            Mira D Adobe Employee

One more question, can you see the images in the sample tutorials that are included with Tutorial Player?

Thanks!

Mira

• 3. Re: tutorial builder dose not show images
              Landailyn Community Member

I have the same issue with not seeing the bef/aft images in tutorials I generate. The answer to all your questions (on my part) : I'm using Windows 7 64 bit, I can create Tutorials, I can view them (and the images) in IE, I can view the tutorials, images missing, in the Tutorial Player. Everything else works except the "show me in Photoshop" links seem to do nothing, though they work in the provided tutorials. Also, I can see the images in the provided tutorials.

• 4. Re: tutorial builder dose not show images

I am sorry for the delay in answering your replies. Yes this was a question of me anking for help using a different wording, it seems to have got a response.

1) I can create the tutorial but

2) No before or after pictures

3) all the links are there but do not work because of (1)

4) if I use Internet Explorer I can view the pictures + the tutorial but the links do not work.

5) I have had to Change CS5 to open as Administrator before I could install the program

6) thinking I had installed the program incorrectly I uninstalled and found a problem. CS5 would not allow me to uninstall directly I had to

C:\Program Files > Adobe > Adobe Extension Manager CS5 and run Adobe Extension Manager CS5.exe from there.

7) if I open TBREsults and look at the file that I have created and look at the folder "js" Windows ScriptHost tells me that there are errors, ie.

error: "jQuery" is undefined

Code: 800A1391

Source: Microsoft JScript Error

most of my computer work has been building PC's for fun though I used visual basic with excel whilst still working so my knowlege of Jscript is NILL>

I can send you the errors as a word doc if you would like it.

8) the Sample files work OK and would make tutorials a lot easier to follow once the bugs are sorted out.

• 5. Re: tutorial builder dose not show images
                  Mira D Adobe Employee

Hi Landailyn and Alexander,

Sorry you are having trouble. Please make sure that you are using the latest version of Tutorial Builder. We released an update on October. 27th.

Let's try the following steps and see what happens.

Part 1: Create a test tutorial with Tutorial Builder

1. Open Photoshop and open the Tutorial Bulder panel.

2. Click Start in the TB Panel

3. Open an image

4. Say "yes" when the dialog asks you if you want to save the image as the before image

5. Convert it to Black and Whilte through Image>Mode>Grayscale

6. Click Done in the TB Panel

7. Say "yes" when the dialog asks you if you want to save the tutorial.

8. Say "yes" when the dialog asks you if you want to save the black and white image as the after image

9. In the "Save Tutorial" dialog, under title put "BW" and for Save To, click on the browse icon with the three dots. This will open a File System browser. Go to your Desktop and create a folder called "TBtest". Click Ok. This will save this new tutorial in the TBTest folder.

Part 2: Check that the created tutorial includes all of the right parts

1. open the system file browser

2. Open the folder Desktop/TBTest/BW/html

In that folder you should see

BW.html - this is your tutorial

main.css

main_ie.css

assets/

icons/

images/

js/

3. Open the BW.html file in your favorite browser (IE for you guys) and see how the tutorial looks

4. Look in the images folder and make sure that there are two images there - before.png and after.png

5. Look in the assets folder and make sure that you see the image you used in your tutorial

Part 3: Open it in Tutorial Player and try sending the recorded commands to Photoshop

1. Open Tutorial Player

2. Connect to Photoshop by following the directions in Tutorial Player

3. Click the Browse button and havigate to Desktop/TBtest/BW/html/BW.html

4. Click on the "Show me in Photoshop" link under step 2. This should cause the file you used to make the tutorial to be open in your Photoshop

5. Click on the "Show me in Photoshop" link under step 3. This should turn the image in Photoshop to black and white.

Please go through these steps and let me know what works and what doesn't work.

Thanks!

Mira

• 6. Re: tutorial builder dose not show images

Time in UK is 00.52 am hopefully i will try later today.

• 7. Re: tutorial builder dose not show images

Problems galore!!

It took approx 30minutes when starting i.e. “ progress writing PNG format”

I ran out of memory trying to convert to B/W even though I have a scratch disc of 800GB

Kept as PSD and painted in a squiggle and then saved took approx 30 minutes to save

Opened the desktop folder

All seems to be there but still no pictures appear when I run tutorial player

Tried again and got

I have had to re-install tutorial builder “tutorialbuilder_p2_102711.zxp” and player from scratch to try to resolve this error.

I will come back to you once I have some good results

One other thing o0n opening the play back folder I have the following

After.png  

Annotate.xml

Before.png

Capture.xml

Instructions.xml

ScriptingListenerJS.log

And a folder html

With Icons, images & js folders + main.css, main_ie.css & play1.html (which was my saved as file name)

• 8. Re: tutorial builder dose not show images
                        ablichter Community Member

I believe you have a permission issue on the images in the folder "images". Check that and make sure you or the group you are in have at least read access, to the images in the image folders.

I think it is useless to reinstall all the time. Just run every program as admin or disable UAC. This includes the TutorialPlayer.

• 9. Re: tutorial builder dose not show images
                          Mira D Adobe Employee

Hi Alexander,

Wow! 30 minutes to save an image! Is this the behavior you normally experience with PS?

Can you try using a smaller jpg image? I am attaching one here you can use. 68.jpg

Mira

• 10. Re: tutorial builder dose not show images

hi mira, as most photoshop work is carried out with PSD or CR2 files, you are now telling me that I should use JPG. JPG do not carry all the information that is embeded into a PSD or CR2 file which will be used in most tutorials. why do you use PNG for before and after which is far superior to JPG?

• 11. Re: tutorial builder dose not show images
                              ablichter Community Member

Wow! 30 minutes to save an image! Is this the behavior you normally experience with PS?

Sure it is.

Here it takes 15 seconds saving a 3.000x3.000px, 3094MB PSD (without PSD compression) with four layers as PNG, which results in a file size of 34 MB. But it takes only 1 second to the save the image as PSD.  Okay ;-) DisallowFlateCompressedPSD is on.

1.5 seconds when saving it as JPG...

As said in threads before, it is stupid to save the before/after images in their full dimensions as JPGs.

@alexanderdavid

hi mira, as most photoshop work is carried out with PSD or CR2 files, you are now telling me that I should use JPG. JPG do not carry all the information that is embeded into a PSD or CR2 file which will be used in most tutorials. why do you use PNG for before and after which is far superior to JPG?

You might open a JPG (PSD, TIF), but what you got and working on in PS is not a JPG (PSD, TIF) anymore. You can open a JPG and add layers or change its mode to 16bit, right? Do you have a 16bit JPG now, or what?  

When you open a txt-file in Word, is it still a txt-file, a doc- or rtf-file?

Questions is if some needs to run TB on fullsized 12-25MPx images for doing a tutorial and why TB needs to save it fullsized, instead of scaling them down to for example to 1.024x1.024px max.

• 12. Re: tutorial builder dose not show images
                                Mira D Adobe Employee

Hi all,

Thanks for being patient with us as we work to improve Tutorial Builder. We will be sure to save before and after images at an appropriate resolution. This task is already on our todo list.

Alexander, I was suggesting that you try using a smaller image so that I can try to troubleshoot the problem you are experiencing. If you can go through the entire pipeline of creating and playing back a tutorial with smaller images, then we will know that there is no problem with your TB installation.

Mira

• 13. Re: tutorial builder dose not show images

Hi Mira.

Having just re-installed CS5 due to the problems I encountered with tutorial builder, i would like to digress a little.

I am an avid Photographer and like many other people use Photoshop to enhance my photographs. Like most photographers I only shoot in RAW, JPG's do not enter the equation (see Link to  RAW v JPG).

When I open a RAW file CS5 opens a window which is Lightroom or I open the file in Lightroom 3 either way the file can be large 16GB when i use my 50D canon some photographers will have better cameras and the files could be 20+GB.

If as intended we are going to use the tutorial builder to show how we go from initial file to final out put using JPG does not fit the bill for most people as most of the information they have shot will be lost in the compression within their camera, when outputting to JPG.

I will try again using the JPG you have suggested because I think that your endevours have a great potential for the teaching of students and improvers how an effect was achieved.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ ___________________

http:// www.digital-slr-guide.com/raw-vs-jpg.html

• 14. Re: tutorial builder dose not show images

Hi Mira, Yes the program does work now that I am using a small JPG.

There were some holdups on the way

in order to install the tutorial builder you have to have computer Privaliges

1) in order to install the extension you have to have access to the filing system in order to open "Adobe Extension Manager" and havethe privalages to install the tutorial builder

2) You also need Privalages to copy and paste the "Scriptlistener Plugin" into the Automate Plugin folder

3)In Preferences in CS5 you need to Tick additional plug-in folder & navigate to Automate

After That All Worked Well

If  1 & 2 could be automated with the program without the need to delve into the C:\ Drive you will win a lot of friends, also the scriptlistener plugin leaves a copy on the desktop. Is there anyway that this could be deleted or placed in a folder for deletion or better still placed in the TBresults folder as a seperate folder which would be deleted on openeing and recreated each time a tutorial is made?

The program does need to be scalled up so that PSD files and not just small JPG's can be used in the tutorials