• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you customise bullet points?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2011 Oct 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have designed branded bullet points. Can you insert these into in-design CS3 under paragraph styles, bullets and numbering?  If the answer is YES,  how do you do this? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How have you done this in CS3?

Can you give an example?

Shoudl work the same way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eugene

Perhaps I need to reword. I have created a vector which I wish to insert into the bullets list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• a list
  • like this
  • but with
  • designed bullet points
  • instead
  • of a black dot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea what you mean by "branded bullet points". Are these graphics? Are these from a custom font? What exactly are you talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First you’ll need to convert all bullets to text. Then copy the bullet to the clipboard.

Do a find change looking for the bullet character and replacing it with the contents of the clipboard.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you convert a bullet to text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the text

Type>Bullets and Numbering>Convert Bullets to Text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can have bulleted text manually created (i.e. type stroke bullet mark, then tab, then enter text) or automatically styled through Paragraph > Bullets and Numbering. You would only have to follow this step "convert bullet to text" if the bullets are the latter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 07, 2011 Nov 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't understand the question, do you want to convert bullet points to numbers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 07, 2011 Nov 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To me the simplest way to do this is copy your text into word then insert your bullets/numbers or whatever then recopy from word and paste into Illustrator. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 08, 2011 Nov 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Unless you want to 'fudge it' by pasting the graphic into the list as an inline shape (less than ideal) the bullets need to be part of a font. You can generate font "signatures" - exactly what you are after - with SigMaker 3 from FontLabs.

Once you've created a signature install the font, and then in your paragraph style that you're using for the list, add the glyph from your new font.

http://www.fontlab.com/font-utility/sigmaker/

(please note that this product does not work with osx Lion)

lists.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know exactly what you mean Gail. I have created a custom shape to use as a bullet point - it's fine to use as an imported graphic when I only need a small number of bullets, but I have the same problem as you, and have multiple bullet points that require this custom shape that would be time consuming to cut and paste - I want to add this custom shape as a bullet in the Bullets and Numbering window but InDesign does not provide this option.

The only way to get a bullet point that is not a dot is to use a shape from a font, at this stage there's no way to do it from a graphic.

Also I have documents that don't have pre-existing typed bullet points and I format bullet text using the Paragraph Style Options > Bullets and Numbering, so find and replace isn't an option.

Adobe please give us this feature in the next update - it will be loved by all graphic designers and finished artists - your primary market!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

malxp72 wrote:

The only way to get a bullet point that is not a dot is to use a shape from a font, at this stage there's no way to do it from a graphic.

Uh, would that be "any" graphic -- such as a colored vector image, or even a bitmap --, or would it be enough if you somehow ("magically" ) could turn a vector image into a proper one-character font?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not all of us have the means to convert a graphic or bitmap image to a font - that's the point. Adobe needs to create an option where you can import a graphic to be a character in the bullet points menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This link will take you to a form where you can make a formal request. You should fill it out in detail including how you think this feature should work and why it should be added.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

malxp72 wrote:

Not all of us have the means to convert a graphic or bitmap image to a font - that's the point. Adobe needs to create an option where you can import a graphic to be a character in the bullet points menu.

What about the option that tonyharmer offered  in post #11?

SigMaker3 Website wrote:

An affordable font utility that allows users to turn any image such as a scanned signature, a corporate logo or a digital photo into a font that can be easily used in any wordprocessing or graphic application ― all in six easy steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael Gianino wrote:

malxp72 wrote:

What about the option that tonyharmer offered  in post #11?

SigMaker3 Website wrote:

An affordable font utility that allows users to turn any image such as a scanned signature, a corporate logo or a digital photo into a font that can be easily used in any wordprocessing or graphic application ― all in six easy steps.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about. Except the "six easy steps" part, then -- I can bring it down to (uh) about two. Also very easy, by the way.

I'll see if I can whip up a demo in the weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apparently it doesn't work with osx Lion so that's of no help to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines