18 Replies Latest reply: Mar 25, 2015 7:35 PM by jrmhome Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?

Petteri_Paananen Community Member

Hi folks

Time to time I have to merge PDF pages (pages 2-3 to one doublesized page etc). I have always done that by printing multiple pages per sheet... in my case 2 pages per sheet, but instead of printing, I have saved my work as PDF.

Now I have upgraded to MacOS X 10.6 and that doesn´t work any more. If I try, I get warning "Saving a PDF file when printing is not supported, use File>Save instead".

My problem is that there is no option "Save multiple pages per sheet"... so there´s no use to save it.... Is there some workarounds? I really need this feature and I can´t believe it has been taken away....

• 1. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
          MichaelKazlow CommunityMVP

Reburning pdf files has been frowned upon by Adobe for several years now. The changes in the pdf printing capabilities were required by Snow Leopard's internal architecture changes. Adobe had no control. The best way to do what you want is through a neat utility I have used for years, Quite Imposing, www.quite.com.

• 2. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
            Petteri_Paananen Community Member

Is it really so that there is no tool for merging pages in Acrobat.... HUH, I can´t believe this is true....

Anyway, thanks to let me know...

• 3. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
              George_Johnson CommunityMVP

Sorry, duplicate info.

• 4. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                Russell Goodman Community Member

One work around would be to create a blank PDF document to the size that you need. So, if you want to combine two 8.5" x 11" PDFs into a 17" x 11" PDF, create a blank PDF measuring 17" x 11".

Then with your Blank PDF open, go to the "Document" menu and "Background" > "Add/Replace". For "Source" choose the page you want on the left and pick that PDF file setting the horizontal position at 0 from left.

Then go to the "Document" menu > "Watermark" > "Add". For "Source" choose the page you want on the right and pick that PDF file setting the horizontal position at 0 from right. Make sure you set the opacity and scale to 100%.

• 5. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                  wsy_ Community Member

hi there,

i used to print into one single pdf multiple pages (like tiles of 16,32 or 64 pages) into one single poster size file. i cannot do that anymore so was wondering if any of you have found a workaround or a tip or tool to do this in an automated way?

thanks

• 6. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                    stevoramaa Community Member

I hope this helps! I've been back and forth trying to figure this out myself, and now I may have an answer!!!

I put a tutorial video to see visually!! I'll do my best to give step by step!

I am using a Macbook Pro 2.33ghz. Adobe Acrobat Pro 10.0.3

Click the Video to see how it's done on vimeo. You can also download it from my vimeo site!

http://vimeo.com/24737092

1. In Adobe Acrobat go to "Combine Files into PDF"

2. Select the 2 files you want.

3. You will see that the 2 files are seperate and you want them to be together as one page. To do this>

Click "View>Page Display>Two Page View"

Boom, you see it's landscape, and they look to be on one page. BUT it's still 2 pages!! Hence in Two Page View.

4. Make sure you zoom out to see the edges of the pages. Make sure your tool bars and page drop down menus are hidden and not showing. You want to just see the landcape files side by side.

5. Go to "File>Create>PDF From Screen Capture"

This will than duplicate your screen and you will see another window of your work.

6. Now drop down from the left your "Tool" bar and click "CROP" tool

Crop the 2 landscaped files.

Once selected hit "ENTER" on your keyboard. This will than crop your file.

7. Go to "FILE" and save your work as a pdf.

You have now created 2 files into one page.

Once you have created the 2 page merge, you than take your final PDF and Combine Files into PDF allowing you to save your work as one PDF.

In my case it was a magazine file I needed to create. Didin't want each page to be one page at a time. Needed them to be combined as you can see in my tutorial!!

Thanks for looking and hope this helps!!

• 7. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                      goanna2 Community Member

There is another way which involves a bit of work, but it leaves the combined pdf editable (allowing that you only have Acrobat Pro).

Combine the pdfs as Steve described.

1. Using the Crop pages tool (Advanced > Print Production > Crop Pages), click the page and when the box comes up, select 'Change page size' and choose any page size that is at least twice as big. The page will probably not be the aspect you want - may be portrait instead of landscape.

2. Using the 'Touch up Object Tool' (Tools > Advanced Editing > Touch Up Object Tool) drag the marquee around your 1st page artwork, copy it, delete the artwork and rotate the page to horizontal aspect. Then paste the artwork back. Drag a horizontal rule down to line up the top of the artwork.

3. Go to your second page and using the same Touch Up Object Tool, copy the second page artwork and return to the first (enlarged) page and paste.

4. Drag the artwork into line, using the arrow keys to nudge into place, and crop page as desired.

Thanks for posing the question, there are probably heaps of ways to do it using Acrobat alone, but this is the only one I could come up with.

• 8. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                        Daniel Kahr Community Member

1) Open your original file in the application Preview

2) "Print to PDF" (pulldown menu in bottom left of print dialog window) with 2 pages per sheet just as you did before updating your OS.

• 9. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                          djwaraujo Community Member

I have done this! However, you might need Acrobat Pro to do this...

1) Open your PDF (in Adobe Acrobat Pro)

2) Chose print

The print/printer options pop-up will show.

3) In the printer section, do not use your normal printer, a printer named Adobe PDF should be an option. Chose it.

4) Under the "Page handling" section, change the Page Scaling drop-down menu to "Multiple pages per sheet".

Voila....

I tried it with a document with over 100 pages and it only takes a few minutes for the conversion to take place, but it works perfectly.

• 10. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                            mr19th Community Member

It works, but it looses all of the font information and the search no longer works. How can you do it savint the font info so the search tool continues to operate?

• 11. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                              Tapis Community Member

There is a powerful plugin called Quite Imposing that does easily this (and many other tricks related to pages manipulation).

• 12. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                                Bernd Alheit CommunityMVP

Why do you repeat a 5 years old answer?

• 13. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                                  Tapis Community Member

To let people know that it is still the easiest way to do it, after trying some of the advice given here

• 14. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                                    Greg Law Community Member

Single page pdf from Multi-page pdf while maintaining true text and vectors, that is, not rastering the document. This explanation is intended to be complete. Unfortunately, in this matter there are a number of things which must be set up. Once done, it will be very easy to choose this output in the future.

This was developed today after looking for an easier way of inserting UL Assemblies into an Autocad construction plan set. Given the size of the construction plan sheets and the large number of sheets in a set of plans, it is important to keep file sizes manageable while keeping text crisp. Therefore, it is important to avoid rasterizing the text. I am explaining my settings in the context in which I use them which includes Adobe Acrobat Pro X and Windows 8.1 Pro. They can be modified as needed for other uses. If you wish to test different scenarios, please do so without the expectation that others will do it for you.

The primary feature is to combine multiple pages of pdfs while retaining the true text for searching, keeping the file size at a minimum and the print quality at a maximum.

Key requirements: Properly set up Acrobat Print Settings Joboptions (explained below)

Custom Page Size as needed

Page Sizing & Handling: Multiple

Pages per sheet: Custom: 1 by 5 (for example)

Old way was to place and arrange multiple pdf's in modelspace and use multiple viewports to reassemble the pages into a detail in the plan layout view. Note that this required me to customize th Adobe print settings. Plan files I receive from architects and engineers indicate that their standard settings result in these files pdfs being rasterized resulting in huge files that are fuzzy looking and print poorly.

New way is to create a one page pdf that is as long as needed to contain all the the original pages while not losing the editable/searchable text or vector lines. This single document makes both the creation of the plan document and management of the referenced files easier. Note that the original multi-page document must not be a raster (image, not true text) document. There may be many other ways to do this. This works for me and has taken a lot longer to write up then to set up (worked in my initial pass). Defaults indicated below are my current defaults which may have been altered from Adobe's defaults.

The first thing you are going to need is a Adobe PDF Settings "joboptions" file with settings that minimize damage to the text and vector contents in a pdf. My settings are based on my prior experience in creating lightweight, non-rasterized pdfs from and for Autocad.

The following are settings specific to creating the needed custom Adobe PDF settings file.

File > Print >  {set printer to Adobe PDF} > Properties

Default Settings: (yours probably says Standard - you will need to create a new configuration to avoid rasterizing your pdf) > Edit (important: you must use Saveas later to create a new, reusable Settings choice).

General:

Compatibility: Acrobat 8.0 (PDF 1.7)

Object Level Compression: Off

Auto-Rotate Pages: Collectively by File

Binding: Left

Resolution: 600

All Pages

Optimize for fast web view

Default Page Size. Width: 8.5  Height: 55 (for my initial 5 letter size conversion); Units: Inches

Images: Turn all Downsample and Compression to OFF

Fonts:

Embed all fonts: Check (meaning the fonts in the current document)

Subset embedded fonts... less than: 100% (if you think this pdf may need to be editing, I would turn this off)

When embedding fails: Warn and continue

Embedding

Font Source will be your Fonts

Always Embed: none (doesn't seem much point since you will "Embed all fonts" per above)

Never Embed: none (Probably lists a bunch of standard fonts. Assuming that others have thes fonts on their devices is probably a mistake.)

Color: (Keep in mind my usage is to create monochrome files for construction plans. You may want to manage your colors)

Adobe Color Settings file: None

Color Management Policies:: Leave Color Unchanged; Document Rendering Intent: Preserve

Working Spaces: all grayed out due to "Leave Color Unchanged"

Device-Dependant Data

both unchecked

Advanced

The only item that I think might affect the desired outcome is: checked "Save original JPEG images in PDF if possible".  The original pdf already had its jpeg images compressed. Doing more most likely will result in very poor quality.

Standards

Compliance Standard: None

rest grayed out

IMPORTANT: Use Save As... at bottom of any of the screens to create a new ".joboptions" file. Mine was saved in the default location: C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Settings

The following are settings specific to creating a single page from a multi-page pdf.

PRINTER SETTINGS

Printer: {Adobe PDF} Properties (by tab)

Layout: Portrait

Paper/Quality

Paper Source: OnlyOne (automatically might work, but is what I tried)

Color: Black & White (for construction plan printing)

Advanced:

Paper Size: Oversize 8.5 x 55 (example for 5 letter sheets)

Must be created if not previously done. Create new sizes as needed.

Copy Count: 1 copy (default)

Print Quality: 1200dpi (default)

Image Color Management:

ICM items grayed out

Scaling: 100%

TrueType Font: Substitute with Device Font

Document Options - unchanged

Adobe PDF Settings - the Default Settings must be changed from Standard or similar to the new Adobe PDF Settings File you (may have) created above.

Default Settings: (see my settings below)(yours probably says Standard - you will need to create a new configuration to avoid rasterizing your pdf)

Multi-page PDF for Autocad (custom settings I created)           

Adobe PDF Security: None

Adobe PDF Output Folder: Prompt for Adobe PDF filename

Adobe PDF Page Size: Oversize 8.5 x 55 (for example - created previously - see above)

Rest of tab settings do not matter

Adobe Acrobat Print Settings

Print All or Pages range

Page Sizing & Handling: Multiple

Pages per sheet: Custom: 1 by 5 (for example)

Page order: Vertical

Orientation: Portrait

Print (ta-da!)

As previously noted, this is not intended to be the only way. There may be a number of settings which can be changed and still provide the same results. Page size settings, of course, must be changed in accordance with your specific needs. I hope my explanation helps others as I have been helped many times from people's explanations of a wide array of things. (I also intend to give it to my architect and engineers so that their plans will be better and more portable.)

• 15. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                                      johnxiedk Community Member

You can download a PDF-printer (for mac it could be sourceforge.net/projects/pdfwriterformac/) and do it the way you used to . You select your files, choose print, choose two pages pr page, choose your pdf-printer and boom!

• 16. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                                        Mattapoisett_in_LA Community Member

Since Quite Imposing is just under US$500, I think its not for the casual user.

• 17. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                                          fgplus.77497004 Community Member

Daniel Kahr's solution is the easiest and most effective!!! Thanks!

• 18. Re: Merge 2 pdf pages to 1?
                                            jrmhome Community Member

Best I could do (with XP, AA8)...

1. from Acrobat pdf, 'Copy File to Clipboard'

2. paste into new Word doc

3. edit pages layout etc

4. 'print' as AdobePDF

...at least one way to do it ?