Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash player no longer works

Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two weeks ago Flash Player suddenly stopped working on my PC.  Coincidentally, a number of my friends are having the same problems.  We have all tried the recommendations given but none of us can get it to work?

Why has it stopped working so suddenly?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try checking Manage add-on and see if adobe is disabled, it work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really need to provide more information:

• what means "stopped working" - what do you see instead of a Flash object?
  • what is your operating system & version?
  • what is your web browser & version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally, what is your display adapter & driver version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already checked Add-ons and it is enabled.  Everything powered by Flash player is now whited out as soon as I move the cursor near it.  I have Windows 7 64 bit and I use IE 9.

As for display adapter and driver version that is beyond my technical knowledge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try disabling Hardware Acceleration; see http://forums.adobe.com/thread/891337

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 11, 2011 Nov 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've already tried disabling Hardware Acceleration when the window appeared.  It made no difference so I changed it back again.

Driver Version 8.15.10.1892

Adapter Type Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family, Intel Corporation compatible

Adapter Description Intel(R) G41 Express Chipset

Is that the information needed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the interactive Intel Driver Update Utility at http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect to check if there are newer drivers available for your graphics card.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for your help but this is all becoming far too technical for me and I'm obviously going to have to accept that I can no longer use Flash Player.  I did try using the last link given but I don't understand any of it so cannot continue.

I was hoping for an easy fix since it used to work perfectly and there doesn't seem to be any reason for it to suddenly become unuseable.

I'm sorry if I wasted your time.  In future, I'll accept my limitations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry to hear that you give up, but I understand that for non-technical people certain things are not easy to do or understand.

Do you have any friends or family members that could help you to update the device drivers?

Anyway, once I go home I will check my driver version, as I have a very similar or exactly the same graphics card as you have.  If I find a newer version, I will give you a direct download link for the updated driver.

Hopefully we can still get your Flash Player to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.

My sons are too old and my grandchildren too young to be of any help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What worked for me, go to tools~ manage add-on~ and make sure Adobe is

enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked that a few days ago and it is enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried?

Press Alt and X.

Click Internet options.

Click Advanced tab.

Check Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering,

Click Apply.

Click Okay.

Restart I.E.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 12, 2011 Nov 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pressing Alt and X does nothing on my PC.

I tried to download the driver and got a message that it isn't validated for my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lynda-r wrote:

Pressing Alt and X does nothing on my PC.

You must be on Internet Explorer to use the Alt+X shortcut key.

lynda-r wrote:

I tried to download the driver and got a message that it isn't validated for my computer.

Sorry for that; it seems that Windows 7 does not allow installation of manufacturer's drivers.

There is one other option to easily update device drivers: http://drivermax.com/ - I have used it successfully for many years.  It is also a little bit technical, but not too much.  If you are willing to give it a shot, I can guide you through the steps.

You will need to set up an account with them, but you can use the free version that allows you two driver downloads per day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all your help.  I've really had enough now though.  If Flash Player is that difficult to use and has so many problems, I'll do without it.  My friends with the same problem have already given up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

I just checked my Display Adapter driver, and I have version 8.15.10.2509, dated 2011-08-31.

I went to the Intel download center to check for new drivers for your graphics cards, and I found that mine is also slightly outdated; the latest version is 8.15.10.2555, dated 2011-10-19.

Here is the download link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=20601&ProdId=2991&lang=eng&OSVersion=...

Click on the Download button, then accept the License Agreement.  You will be asked to run or save file Win7Vista_64_151718.exe - I recommend that you save it to disk.

Next close all applications and open Windows Explorer.  From there (Downloads) double-click file Win7Vista_64_151718.exe

P.S. just to be on the safe side, can you make a System Restore Point before doing the driver update?  See http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Create-a-restore-point

If anything in my instructions are not clear, please don't hesitate to ask for clarification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for display adapter and driver version that is beyond my technical knowledge.

Click Start.

Type System.

Click System Information.

Click the plus to the left of Components.

Click Display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines