Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to email a link directly to a Project's Topic

Explorer ,
Sep 08, 2006 Sep 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well the situation was this:

The desired outcome: Click a link within the project and have it create an email to someone with a direct link to that particular topic.

The problem hyperlink properties: mailto:ClubHans@Domain.com?subject=Issue 24 Help &body=file:///X:/Help_Files/Help_Files_Home.htm#Topic_24.htm

Send the email and:
With our office setup here, the #Topic_24.htm would be cut off and the link would not open the help project directly to the topic; it would only open to the default page.

So I made a HTML file with the correct link in it, and named it close to the original desired topic (Topic_24_jump.htm):
a href="X:/Help_Files/Help_Files_Home.htm#Topic_24.htm"Issue 24 help" /a

Now the problem hyperlink is workarounded: mailto:ClubHans@Domain.com?subject=Issue 24 Help &body=file:///X:/Help_Files/Topic_24_jump.htm

And then the user can send the email and click the link in the email, and then click the HTML link, then the correct topic will be jumped to.

The reason for this workaroundish solution was to eliminate the customer having to create any kind of HTML or external browser shortcuts. Makes them have to click an extra time, but ends them up where I wanted.

Comments or suggestions to this are appreciated. I know it's probably not the best solution, hope it helps someone out.

This site has definitely helped me out quite a bit!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Sep 11, 2006 Sep 11, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We use the following setup to invite feedback comments. The Javascript in feedback_script.js plugs in the actual location of the current file without filtering through the start page (in the case of our merged project, the path would read "...mergedProjects/child_project_folder/filename.htm"). Plus, the links in the child projects would be to "../../feedback_script.js" instead of the direct link shown in the sample code below. We use a small letter icon (letter.gif) that was available on a free graphics site.

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 13, 2006 Sep 13, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
MergeThis,

Thanks for the code. It works great!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 12, 2006 Sep 12, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, I'll hafta incorporate that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp