• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I get the checked item from a list that is generated automatically?

Nov 14, 2011 Nov 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still pretty new a CF and could really use some help. I am trying to get each item that is checked from a page that generates the list automatically from a query and get the associated textbox text with it. For example:

<!--- Start Get Data Hierarchy List--->

<cfquery datasource="MyDatasource" name="qry_GetData">

SELECT C.taxonomy_id, C.lvl, C.taxonomy_name, C.taxonomy_tree, C.taxonomy_guid, C.taxonomy_standard_name

FROM dbo.taxonomy AS P

JOIN dbo.taxonomy AS C

ON P.taxonomy_id = 21

AND C.hid.IsDescendantOf(P.hid) = 1

AND C.lvl = 3

</cfquery>

<!--- Start Get Data Hierarchy List--->

<cfloop query="qry_GetData">

<input type="checkbox" name="cbox_PE_SelTax#taxonomy_id#" value="#taxonomy_name#"><font size="4" color="3399FF"> #taxonomy_name#</font>

<br />

- Details of experience with #taxonomy_name#:<input name="tbox_PE_SelTax#taxonomy_id#" id="tbox_PE_SelTax#taxonomy_id#" size="50%">

<br />

<br />

</cfloop>
TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 14, 2011 Nov 14, 2011

If you just want the names, you could leave the value of the checkboxes set to taxonomy_name. In your action page (CFMAIL, whatever) you could just output this:

Taxonomies: #form.cbox_PE_SelTax#

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give all your checkboxes the same name,  The resulting form variable will either be undefined or a list of the checked values.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you elaborate a bit, please. I am very new to CF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give all your checkboxes the same name:

<input type="checkbox" name="cbox_PE_SelTax" value="#taxonomy_#"><font size="4" color="3399FF"> #taxonomy_name#</font> (Also, you might not want to use the FONT tag any more - it's been deprecated for quite some time. Try CSS instead.)

Then, in your action page, the value of Form.cbox_PE_SelTax will contain a list of all the taxonomy_id values for whichever boxes were checked. Note that I changed the value of the checkbox from taxonomy_name to taxonomy_id.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave,

Thank you for your help so far. I must not be asking the right question. Here is the whole breakdown. I am writing this page to collect the users information, Name, Title, Company, and technologies they are familiar with. I then want that information emailed to me upon submission. The point I am running into a problem (even with your last post) is how to write the action part of it that will email the checked items to me. I cannot figure out if I need to use CFLOOP (if so, how) or what the best method is. I am a very visual lerner and can understand how code works easily, but I have not found any examples for my situation. Again, I really appriciate all of your help thus far.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you just want the names, you could leave the value of the checkboxes set to taxonomy_name. In your action page (CFMAIL, whatever) you could just output this:

Taxonomies: #form.cbox_PE_SelTax#

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for all of your help dave! I was amazed as to how simple that solution was. Sorry if I wasted any of your time in not knowing the correct questions.

Thank you again,

Kris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation