Android Market: "Localized to..." and supported screens

Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2011 Nov 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Question 1:

When I upload my apk to Android Market it says

"Localized to: default, Japanese, German, Dutch, Polish, Korean, French, Turkish, Czech, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Chinese (China), Chinese (Taiwan)"

Does anyone know why?

It's only localized in English and Swedish so far.

Is it possible to change this?

If not, will it affect the apps appearance on the market (could it possible fool consumers in these countries)?

Question 2:

I have added this to the android manifest, inside the manifest tags:

<supports-screens android:smallScreens="false"

android:normalScreens="true"

android:largeScreens="true"

android:xlargeScreens="true"/>

But Android Market does not recognize this. I need smallScreens to be filtered out. Is this supposed to work?

Thank you!

/anders

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2011 Nov 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't find any documentation about how localization ("strings.xml" I guess) is assembled by AIR and interpreted by android market. Or how it can be changed.

Not even Adobe's support could help me out. I'll publish this anyway now. I'll blame Adobe if I get an billion angry e-mails from China.

Wish they at least could give me some form of answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Anders:

Just curious. Do you know anyway which allows the user to see the application's (binary's) localizations (not to developer but to the user on market)? Or are you aware if any filtering occures in Android Marketplace based on these localizations?

For screen sizes:

android:smallScreens
Indicates whether the application supports smaller screen form-factors. A small screen is defined as one with a smaller aspect ratio than the "normal" (traditional HVGA) screen.  An application that does not support small screens will not be available for small screen devices from external services (such as Android Market), because there is little the platform can do to make such an application work on a smaller screen. This is "true" by default.

Hence you need to specificall add android:smallScreens="false" to not to support it.

You should also look at <compatible screens>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Saumitra!

No, I cannot see it when browsing Android Market. There could be other ways to browse the market. I'm not really sure. And I do not know how (or if) this information is used by any filters. Thereof my question. But I do know the information is wrong.

Just don't want to make errors that could upset any costumers. Maybe it's not a problem at all. I will find out pretty soon I guess.

The "supports-screens" tag worked fine. It was just very unclear in the developer console on android.com. As one might expect, it is not shown as a filter when the apk is uploaded (like the touchscreen filter), but... when the apk is saved it will show in the right column. "Supported screens: normal-xlarge". Could be good to know.

Thanks for the response.

/anders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's cool for Android Market, but unfortunately the languages appear in the Apple app store:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wordpox-premium/id481002756

Languages: English, Chinese, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish

I don't feel at ease with this. The game is only available in English and Swedish. Since it's a word game it could be kind of critical.

It's not possible to set these languages when creating the IPA?

(I also have a free version of the app coming out in just a few days...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently there is a workaround if you are on Mac and have Xcode installed. http://www.saumitrabhave.com/2011/10/removing-unwanted-languages-from-you.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2012 Jun 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you find a way to change the language list for android???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its really simple in cs6. When you go to the publish settinhs (ide?) on the last tab you can select the languages you want to support. For both ios and android.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I'm still on cs5.5 and it looks like my company wont be upgrading to 6 in the short term. I've got to say I'm starting to get a bit sick of adobe messing people around in these situations. What about installing the latest air 3.0 sdk?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2012 Jun 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines