13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 30, 2015 7:52 AM by jstrawn RSS

Rotating Video

JDTWerk

Hi,

Bit of a newbie to CS5, having a slight problem: How do you rotate a video in the source monitor window? I've tried a number of different methods to no avail..

Cheers.

• 1. Re: Rotating Video
          Harm Millaard Community Member

Use Effect controls/Rotation to rotate a clip, but that will only show up in the program monitor, not in the source monitor. You can't change the rotation of the source material, since PR is a non-destructive editor.

• 2. Re: Rotating Video
            JDTWerk Community Member

Really? seems a bit odd that you can't rotate it in the source monitor but you can in the program monitor. I want to edit first in the source monitor, then put it into the program..

• 3. Re: Rotating Video

Actually it makes perfect sense, because you do not want to mess with the original material, only with the edited material. If you want to see modified 'source material' you have to export first and take the generation loss in stride.

• 4. Re: Rotating Video
                JDTWerk Community Member

OK, but in this case I do want to edit the original material. I've recorded some footage on my phone and it's upside down. Surely there should be the option to rotate in the source AND program monitor?

• 5. Re: Rotating Video

Import, rotate, export and then import the exported material is the only way.

• 6. Re: Rotating Video
                    JDTWerk Community Member

I've done the procedure you've outlined, It just seems daft to me that you can't rotate in both windows. It would save a lot of messing about.

• 7. Re: Rotating Video
                      Jeff Bellune CommunityMVP

The way Pr is set up is that you see your unaltered video in the Source Monitor.  Any editing, including transforms and effects, is done in the timeline and the result appears in the Program Monitor.

Pr is a non-destructive editor; your source files are never altered in any way.  The only way to make your edits in Pr permanent is to export the timeline to a new file.

That said, if you would like the Source Monitor to have more functionality, then please file a request here:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

-Jeff

NB: Personal and antagonistic comments have been removed from this thread.

• 8. Re: Rotating Video
                        Todd_Kopriva Adobe Employee

Since you're new to Premiere Pro, you'd likely benefit from working your way through the basic learning materials. There are suggestions for resources for learning Premiere Pro here.

• 9. Re: Rotating Video
                          JDTWerk Community Member

Thanks for all the reply's, I've rotated the video's as advised.

I'm just curious as to why there isn't an option to rotate in the source window. I've rotated three video's today & it's taken around two and a half hours to export them, the funtionailty is obviously there to rotate so why not give the option? Given the popularity of camera phone films I'd imagine that this is a fairly common occurence, this just seems to be a painfully slow way of rectifiying it. I come from an audio background, this is my first year using video editing software, I suppose I'm just used to being able to manipulate anything.

I'm learning CS5 at Uni, but anymore info is much appreciated. I'll look through the learning resources.

Thanks again.

• 10. Re: Rotating Video
                            JSS1138 Community Member

I'm just curious as to why there isn't an option to rotate in the source window.

Because NLEs just aren't designed that way.

You can work around this by adding the original clip to a sequence, flipping it, then loading that sequence into the Source Monitor.  Add the parts you want to a new sequence.

• 11. Re: Rotating Video
                              Jeff Bellune CommunityMVP

I come from an audio background

That explains why there's a bit of confusion.  Most audio editors immediately affect the original file.

Pr and most other video editing programs store editing operations and commands in the project file, and apply those operations only when you *export*.  So when you save the file in a DAW, you actually overwrite the original audio file.  When you save your Pr project, you're only saving the list of commands.  You have to *export* to get a file on your hard drive that contains the processed video.  It is a separate file from the original video file, and that original file remains unchanged.

If it helps, think of the Source Monitor as a video player, much like Windows Media Player.  In general, you don't edit or alter the video that you're watching in WMP.  Ditto for the video in the Source Monitor. 

-Jeff

• 12. Re: Rotating Video
                                eikonoklastes Community Member

Hello, I realize this is an extremely late response to the discussion, but with the addition of Master Clip Effects, you can now apply a Distort -> Transform effect to the source clip and set its rotation to 180 degrees. This is a perfect fix for upside down footage that you just want to preview without going to the Timeline.

Cheers.

• 13. Re: Rotating Video
                                  jstrawn Employee Hosts

Avinash Lobo wrote:

Hello, I realize this is an extremely late response to the discussion, but with the addition of Master Clip Effects, you can now apply a Distort -> Transform effect to the source clip and set its rotation to 180 degrees. This is a perfect fix for upside down footage that you just want to preview without going to the Timeline.

Cheers.

Yes the thread is pretty old, so I'm not sure if my response will still be relevant either. It's true that you can rotate it in the source monitor now, so that was a good suggestion. But the user will still have to export it if they want an actual source file which is permanently roared. I often have people asking me to rotate their video for them and I do like to help them when I can. But when they ask me how to rotate their own video properly, I tell them, "Don't hold your phone (or other) camera that way when taking video". (unless you're only going to watch it back on your phone, then it doesn't matter)