8 Replies Latest reply: May 2, 2012 8:49 AM by Ravenant211 RSS

Does anyone know of a way to have Dreamweaver preview in Outlook 2010?

Ravenant211 Community Member

Hello all,

I'm looking for a way to have Dreamweaver open a file in Outlook 2010, or some workaround that amounts to the same thing. I am creating a HTML newsletter for a client and I have it working perfectly in all other email clients, it's just the infamous Outlook 2007/2010 that I need to trouble shoot now.

I can't find any way to get Outlook 2010 to open the HTML file directly, pasting code also does not preview the newsletter properly, it only shows the actual lines of code. I have tried creating a new "preview in browser" option in Dreamweaver that points to the Outlook EXE but Outlook refuses to open the file saying it requires a valid "switch" to open external files. A check on Microsoft's website reveals that they don't appear to have a switch for the HTML file type, only their internally supported format and some visual basic file types. I would be just as happy with an add-on that allows Dreamweaver to do this, or an add on that reliably previews HTML files as they would be viewed in Outlook 2007/2010.

My only method now is to paste the email into my clients online newsletter service and send out the test preview. Between the site having to save, process and send the email, and then the fact it can take up to 5 minites to then receive the email, I'm wasting a great deal of time just waiting around. Since Outlook converts all the code to bizarre internal VML formatting, I need to do quite a bit of checking and adjustments and it would help tremendously if I could find a way to preview the HTML in Outlook without having to actually send out the test email from the online service.

Any information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated! Considering Microsoft has broken away from HTML/CSS standards to such an extreme degree the least they could have done was make it at least possible to test/preview HTML. Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Does anyone know of a way to have Dreamweaver preview in Outlook 2010?
          mytaxsite.co.uk MVP

Email the newsletter to yourself on your hotmail account and then open this email in OL to see if the newsletter is formatted correctly.

I don't think there is any other way.  OL is not a browser in the real sense but you could add it as a browser by going to:

File >> Preview In Browser >> Edit Browser List

Whether it works or not is a different matter.

• 2. Re: Does anyone know of a way to have Dreamweaver preview in Outlook 2010?

Thanks JTANNA,

That is in essence what I am already doing though. I send the e-mail to myself and open it in Outlook. It's a lengthy roundabout process though, especially when you're trying to check so many things constantly like if Outlook is going to support something as small as a change to a margin. I know Outlook is not really a browser, I was just hoping there was some workaround someone had found. You used to be able to open HTML files directly and/or view the source of a newly created message in a preview mode in Outlook, but that was back in the 2003 version etc, when they were still using IE to read HTML rather than VML and Word... Thanks again, I'm afraid you're confirming what I was dreading to hear, but I'm really hoping someone might have had to work around this before? Thanks though!

• 3. Re: Does anyone know of a way to have Dreamweaver preview in Outlook 2010?
              mytaxsite.co.uk MVP

But it works in OL2007 on my XP system.  I am not using OL2010 yet but

this will change after Xmas 2011.

I added a new browser called OL 2007 and I can view the pages in it.

You get a window as if you are creating a new message and your page is

shown in the body of the message.

• 4. Re: Does anyone know of a way to have Dreamweaver preview in Outlook 2010?

Hmmn... maybe I don't know how to do this then? How did you set up a browser with Hotmail? I have a Hotmail account I use online, it's a personal account that receives a ton of spam so I have never added it to my business related Outlook 2010 client. If there is a way to get a realtime browser to show up though that would be very worth while. Are you able to edit the message in real time in the browser window? Any info on how you set this up would be appreciated, I don't think I know how

• 5. Re: Does anyone know of a way to have Dreamweaver preview in Outlook 2010?
                  mytaxsite.co.uk MVP

Ravenant211 wrote:

Hmmn... maybe I don't know how to do this then? How did you set up a browser with Hotmail? I have a Hotmail account I use online, it's a personal account that receives a ton of spam so I have never added it to my business related Outlook 2010 client. If there is a way to get a realtime browser to show up though that would be very worth while. Are you able to edit the message in real time in the browser window? Any info on how you set this up would be appreciated, I don't think I know how

No you have misunderstood my message.  I did not setup hotmail as my browser (how can I do that).  What I said is that I have setup Outlook as my browser (Outlook is a mail client from Microsoft that comes part of Office Professional).  The steps are pretty easy:

1) File >> View in Browser > Edit Browser List

2) In the next window you get you need to click on + sign and add Outlook by browsing to your exe file.

If you want exact details including pictures let me know so that I can do it later this evening.

If however you wanted to know if you can access your hotmail account in Outlook then I can tell you that as well.  All you need is Microsoft's Outlook Connector <http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/outlook/microsoft-office-outlook-hotmail-connector-overv iew-HA010222518.aspx>

Please start a new thread for your quesries so that we don't hijack this thread.  The moderator is very strict about such things.

Good luck.

• 6. Re: Does anyone know of a way to have Dreamweaver preview in Outlook 2010?

Hi JTANNA,

If you don't mind I would like to see your method for making Outlook an option as browser. My attempts to do so both within a Dreamweaver and directly from the Windows file system both fail. When I attempt to do so I can add the Outlook.exe as an option, but at least with Outlook 2010, actually attempting to open the file this way gives me the following error:

Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using.

I have looked on the Micorsoft site and do not see any switch that is valid for HTML files, at least not one that is obvious. Perhaps I am going about it the wrong way? I would appreciate seeing your method to verify, I'm desperate to find a faster way to test the HTML files

Thanks for the offer about setting up Hotmail in Outlook, I am familiar with that process though. I have used it in the past, at least until they started charging for it anyway. If it's not related to this topic than I will just pass on that one. Thanks for the offer though!

• 7. Re: Does anyone know of a way to have Dreamweaver preview in Outlook 2010?
                      claytonatx

Could you try using MS Word as your Browser?  I have done this and it works within Dreamweaver.  The ingestion of HTML should be very similar to MS Outlook 2010.  Thoughts?

• 8. Re: Does anyone know of a way to have Dreamweaver preview in Outlook 2010?

Hi Clayton,

Thanks for the reply. I haven't gotten on this thread for a long time so it took me a few days to notice your reply. I have long since finished this project using some work arounds and a ridiculous amount of unnecessary (in my opinion) time and effort wasted by emailing the newsletter over and over to myself to test. I tried your method of adding Word to the browser list in Dreamweaver and it does work in that it Word will add successfully to the browser list. I would say it could possibly be of some use, at least for initially making sure the table elements are lining up as expected and that the background images are forcing through as expected within their cells. I couldn't get it to fully function correctly enough to test the entire newsletter though. Using the same newsletter file that works in Outlook and previews correctly in the browser, I get an image in Word that shows all the table background images but with all the table cells slightly seperated. Also more of an issue, none of the table content shows in Word. All text and content images that display fine in Outlook are completely missing from the Word preview.

Thanks for the effort! I would say it might let someone know if they're on the right track at the very beginning of the newsletter creation process as far as the table general layout working as expected, but beyond that it looks like Microsoft still gets their way on making a platform that is hostile to rich media emails! I know that Outlook uses the Word rendering engine to interpret HTML within an email, but it's handled in some archaic manner within Outlook that appears to be using some elements of Microsoft VML that is generated on the fly between Word and Outlook. If you copy the source from an HTML email opened in Outlook you'll see how insanely mangled and destroyed the original code gets, everything gets converted over to print measurements for one! Since they had no intention of officially supporting email of this type I guess they did whatever they had to do so people could nicely paste "custom" emails created from Word into Outlook and for everyone who wants to generate a professional version of a HTML rich email that will be 100% compatible with multiple platforms and web viewing? Well... it's Microsoft... they made up their mind on how THEY want to do it so why should they care? For my part, I dearly hope to never have to do an Outlook compatible newsletter again!