15 Replies Latest reply: May 18, 2012 7:15 AM by pbesong RSS

Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working

altcondeslx Community Member

Okay... I'm almost at my wits end.

I've been doing closed captioning and subtitling for 10 years, I use the industry-standard software, I follow the workflows... and yet I cannot get any captions to display in PP CS 5.5

I've looked through the forums, watched the VideoBrain help videos and it all seems so simple.

Has anybody actually been able to get the "attach closed captions (.SCC format) to sequence" to work and display?

Yes, the output is enabled on the program monitor. The timecode is correct in the timeline, the sequence and the .SCC file.

The .SCC files work in all other software including Adobe Encore.

There are no error messages displayed.

Tech support has been unable to help at all nor can they escalate anything to a senior technician in anything under three days. I've had each tech (three) who calls me back ask me the same sets of questions but unfortunately all they are able to do is browse their own forums and online manuals which we all have access to already.

It can't be this hard and money is flowing out my window as I see contracts collapsing...

Has anybody had any success?

OR does anybody know of a workaround? I'm trying to embed closed captions in an .mxf container and was trying to use PP to create the sequence then use Media Encoder to output it.

Sorry for the frustrated rant

Dave

• 1. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working
          Todd_Kopriva Adobe Employee

Have you installed the Premiere Pro CS5.5 (5.5.1) update? If so, note the known issue listed on this page.

• 2. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working

Yes. I did install the update.

• 3. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working

> Yes. I did install the update.

As the known issue list for the update says, it breaks closed caption preview. We're working on a fix.

• 4. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working

Oh, I thought that only applied to the Mac OSX version but as I'm running Windows 7-64, it is a Windows issue as well.

As long as the output works correctly, I'm happy. I'll try that now.

If I can be of any assistance for testing or troubleshooting please let me know.

Dave

• 5. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working

Todd, I can send you a test .mxf file that I need using PP and encoding through Media Encoder which I don't think is working on the output side.

If you're interested, please email me and I'll give you the FTP info.

Thanks,

Dave

• 6. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working

How are you attempting to export the video with closed caption data? Your most recent post makes me think that you're expecting the closed captions to appear in files written directly from Adobe Media Encoder. As stated here, you require special hardware and third-party plug-ins to write the closed-caption data to frames on output. Are you using such hardware and plug-ins? If so, which?

Regarding your problem with seeing the closed captions in the preview: If you put the relevant input files (the input video clip, the project, and the .scc file) on an FTP server and post the information so that I can get to it, I'll see whether I can get the preview to work.

• 7. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working

No no. What I'm attempting to do is use Media Encoder to encode a PP sequence that has CC data attached. All I want is the CC data to be accessible when broadcasting the MXF file. I understand that I shouldn't be able to see them (other than in the PP program window). However, I should be able to see them in an MXF viewer which I checking with the folks at VLC and AmberFin right now.

You can use the TC00.scc file located in the FTP below. It's a test file with captions every 30 seconds (for 10 second duration) starting at 00:00:00:00. I just created a six minute "bars and tone" video with PP and used that for video.

The FTP information is:

HOST: intercaption.com

USER: captioner

PASS: access

If you get it to work let me know and I'll send you the real data but it's a HUGE file.

Dave

• 8. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working

> What I'm attempting to do is use Media Encoder to encode a PP sequence that has CC data attached. All I want is the CC data to be accessible when broadcasting the MXF file. I understand that I shouldn't be able to see them (other than in the PP program window). However, I should be able to see them in an MXF viewer

This will not work. Premiere Pro does not export closed caption data in exported files. You need a third-party tool, as mentioned above, to write the closed caption data to video frames written over additional specialized hardware.

• 9. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working

Oh, okay. What does attaching CC data to a PP sequence do for you then? How can it be used - direct export via firewire?

Any suggestions for third party software to do this?

Did you have any luck getting the .scc file I provided to work in the program monitor?

• 10. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working

> Oh, okay. What does attaching CC data to a PP sequence do for you then? How can it be used - direct export via firewire?

If you have the extra third-party tools, they can write the closed captions to output.

Any suggestions for third party software to do this?

The article that I linked to has links to some third parties that provide such resources. Here's the link again.

• 11. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working

There only appears to be hardware options not software ones. Software by the other giants (Sony) seem to allow it so I just throught that Adobe would have the same abilities.

Were you able to read the .scc file that I posted?

Thanks for the help.

• 12. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working
                                gotallie Community Member

Todd,

Perhaps you might want to stop referencing that link as an answer to the embedding of CC in a file via Premiere.  You have done this in more that one posting with similar questions.  The videos in that link make passing reference to hardware manufacturers not software solutions.  The link in no way answers the question but only eventually states that Premiere cannot do what other software packages can in regards to the handling of embedding CC.

• 13. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working

gotallie,

The reason that I keep pointing to that resource is that it says what the feature does, what the limitations are, and what else is needed.

• 14. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working
                                    Compression doctor Community Member

Closed captions in embedded files are not supported by Adobe Premier. You need additional software such as Rhozet Carbon Coder (about 5k) or Telestream Episode or Vantage (you don;t want to know how $$) Even with these products, getting captions to work in an MXF wrapper is a tough nut to crack. We are doing it currently with help from a digital delivery service - Aberdeen in Rancho Santa Margarita CA . I tried everything to get captions in an MXF wrapper to work. I finally gave up. Hit up Mike Lyle there. He can probably help you. We do our own captioning in house and just export an mpeg 2 file from premier sendn them the corresponding .scc file and they transcode it to ten different formats and delvier it directly to our broadcast stations.

• 15. Re: Attaching .scc files in PP -- not working
                                      pbesong Community Member

If you can't get your SCC caption file to display, it may be that Premiere uses a less popular version of the SCC format. MovieCaptioner has a special SCC export just for Premiere so it will display. http://www.synchrimedia.com

As far as s/w  solutions, take a look at the HDProQT plugin for QT that allows you to export directly from Premiere to include closed captions. http://www.pixeltools.com/hdpro.html It's about $1500.

Hope this helps.