Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The ActiveX control for Flash Player could not be registered

Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased an Avid M-Box recently, and it comes with ProTools software.  I cannot open the ProTools software because it needs the latest version of Flash Player for IE installed.

Every time I try to install the latest version on IE, I get the error:  "The ActiveX control for Flash Player could not be registered"

I've tried multiple troubleshooting steps, and cannot seem to get this to work, and I'd really like to be able to use the software that I paid for.

I'm running:

Windows 7 SP1, 64-Bit

IE version 8

PLEASE HELP!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you run the installer as an Administrator user?

If yes, have you tried http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/494/cpsid_49419.html ?

See also the ongoing topic with the same subject http://forums.adobe.com/thread/910774

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 28, 2011 Oct 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the installer has been run as an adminstrator, and I have tried the solution in the link you provided.

I really really want this to work.  I don't understand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2011 Oct 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you ran SubInACL, did you get any errors?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 29, 2011 Oct 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the full code that I got when I ran SubInACL.

: 2 The system cannot find the file specified.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3 : 2 The syst

em cannot find the file specified.

Elapsed Time: 00 00:00:00

Done:        1, Modified        0, Failed        1, Syntax errors        0

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4 : 2 The syst

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5 : 2 The syst

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6 : 2 The syst

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7 : 2 The syst

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8 : 2 The syst

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9 : 2 The syst

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.10 : 2 The sys

tem cannot find the file specified.

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1

0 : 2 The system cannot find the file specified.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-

444553540000}

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-

444553540000} : 2 The system cannot find the file specified.

SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash : delete Perm. ACE 1 nt authority

\system

SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash : new ace for nt authority\system

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash : 2 change(s)

SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\DefaultIcon : delete Perm. ACE 3

nt authority\system

SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\DefaultIcon : delete Perm. ACE 0

nt authority\system

SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\DefaultIcon : new ace for nt auth

ority\system

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\DefaultIcon :

3 change(s)

SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\shell : delete Perm. ACE 0 nt aut

hority\system

SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\shell : new ace for nt authority\

system

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\shell : 2 chan

ge(s)

SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\shell\open : delete Perm. ACE 0 n

t authority\system

SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\shell\open : new ace for nt autho

rity\system

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\shell\open : 2

change(s)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\shell\open\com

mand - AddAce error : 87 The parameter is incorrect.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\shell\open\com

mand: 5 : Unable to enumerate subkeys

Done:        5, Modified        4, Failed        1, Syntax errors        0

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\s

hell\open\command

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash\s

hell\open\command - AddAce error : 87 The parameter is incorrect.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1 : 2 The syst

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3 : 2 The syst

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4 : 2 The syst

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5 : 2 The syst

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6 : 2 The syst

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7 : 2 The syst

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8 : 2 The syst

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9 : 2 The syst

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.10 : 2 The sys

tem cannot find the file specified.

0 : 2 The system cannot find the file specified.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}

Last Done  : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-

444553540000}

Last Failed: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-

444553540000} : 2 The system cannot find the file specified.

=========================

Repairing Flash Player File System Permissions. One moment please...

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed : delete Perm. ACE 9 builtin\administrators

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed : delete Perm. ACE 8 builtin\administrators

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed : delete Perm. ACE 1 builtin\administrators

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed : delete Perm. ACE 0 builtin\administrators

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed : new ace for builtin\administrators

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed : new ace for builtin\administrators

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed : 6 change(s)

Elapsed Time: 00 00:00:03

Done:        1, Modified        1, Failed        0, Syntax errors        0

Last Done  : C:\Windows\System32\Macromed

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed : delete Perm. ACE 7 nt authority\system

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed : delete Perm. ACE 6 nt authority\system

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed : delete Perm. ACE 1 nt authority\system

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed : delete Perm. ACE 0 nt authority\system

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed : new ace for nt authority\system

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed : new ace for nt authority\system

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed : 6 change(s)

Done:        1, Modified        1, Failed        0, Syntax errors        0

Last Done  : C:\Windows\System32\Macromed

1. Finished.

Press any key to continue . . .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2011 Oct 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the SubInACL logs; it seems that it did everything that it could (for the keys it could find).

You may have a similar situation like the user in http://forums.adobe.com/thread/910774

Would you be willing to go through the same procedure (using Process Monitor) and send the output to me?  I will send you a PM with my private email address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely, if you think it will work.  I haven't tried anything with the Process monitor yet.

I will read the entire thread you posted, and try the solution.

Where should i send the results?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried this (from the thread in the link you posted here:

1. Logon as the local administrator - this is so you will have unrestricted access to the registry.

2. Run the registry editor

3. Access the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT - backup or "export" the key

4. Attempt to assign permissions to the entire key - Be sure to assign permissions to the Administrators Group not just the current administrator, include subkeys in the permission assignments. ( You may receive a message stating that permissions cannot be assigned to all subkeys or registries, this is okay)

5. Scroll down in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT key specifically to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID - Now assign permission to this key specifically, include the subkeys and leave the parent permissions intact. You should not receive the subkey permission message this time.

6. Run the flash executable.

You should have a successful installation at this point.

Unfortunately this did not work for me.

I am going to attempt the process monitor solution momentarily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly am I looking for in the result column of process monitor to tell which key is stopping the installation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a good question!

What I did with the log file from the other topic, I searched for "ocx" (the ActiveX Control), and I could not find any occurrence.

I then compared it with the procmon log of a successfull installation on my system, then figured our that key {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000} has not been created.

As I wrote to you via email, I'll have to travel to Europe tomorrow, so I don't know when I can have a look at your procmon log.  If you want to try yourself, and compare it to my log file, I will try to attach it to this post.  (It is only 2MB, compared with your 700MB.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2011 Nov 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have received the ProcMon logfile, thank you.

Unfortunately you ran the AIH installer (install_flashplayer11x64ax_gtbd_aih.exe) instead of the full installer.

Can you try again with the latest installer from http://forums.adobe.com/thread/909550 (install_flash_player_11_active_x_64bit.exe) - this installer should create a much smaller logfile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 13, 2011 Nov 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran the correct file, and updated the file in the DropBox folder.

Thanks,

-Steve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I see only the 335MB file from Nov 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated the folder.

-Steve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you; I see it now.  Downloading...

I will not have much time to look at it today; hopefully tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2011 Nov 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know when you get a chance to look at the ProcMon file.

Thank you!

-Steve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry it took me so long to look at the procmon log; I am a bit busier than usual these days.  Also, looking through that 120MB file is quite a task; thank you for your patience.

Having spent most of the afternoon in that logfile, I still don't see where the failure is.  Or why it is that long...

One thing I noticed from the first page: many items - files, registry entries - are locked by Avast.  Can you try to run the installer with Avast temporarily disabled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 23, 2011 Nov 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated the dropbox folder with an installation with Avast disabled.

Thanks,

-Steve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks; I have received it.  It's a tiny little bit smaller, but obviously the problem did not go away.

I had a quick look at it, and I have to admit that I do not understand what is going on there.  When I compare it with an install log from my system, it is completely different.  Mine goes straight into installing; your log shows it's doing a thousand other things aside from installing.

I think I will ask someone from the Adobe team to look into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your time.  I really appreciate it, and I hope that the problem can be fixed, because I really want to use this software I purchased.

Thank you again,

-Steve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,

Thanks for all the work you've done so far.  I'm sorry you're having to go through so much to get Flash Player installed.  I've forwarded this along to our installer team.  Could you send me (ccampbel@adobe.com) a link to the dropbox file and would it be possible to get a copy of your installer log?

Thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 30, 2011 Nov 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I invited you to the DropBox folder.  In addition I have attached the FlashInstall.log file to this e-mail.  Just a small bit of information:  I have no problem installing Flash Player for Firefox; the install log may have that in it.  But I need Flash Player installed for IE to run the software that I am trying to run.

Note: there are two files attached to this e-mail, I'm not sure which one you need

Thank you for your time!

-Steve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 04, 2011 Dec 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anything new on the problem?

Thanks,

-Steve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 31, 2011 Dec 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still nothing...?  I'd really like to get this working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2012 Jan 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry you have to wait so long, but Adobe is closed for almost two weeks.

Can you try if this fixes your problem: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines