• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Links not working correctly

New Here ,
Sep 08, 2006 Sep 08, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I currently working with RoboHELP for Microsoft HTML Help 9 ( build 520 ). I have created links to other topics that were working correctly until a few days ago. They still work correctly in View mode, but when I compile the files and try to view the links it returns this error in the window:

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoboConfused and welcome to our community

I know you said "compile" which *should* indicate you are producing a compiled .CHM file, but I'm not sure. What is your output? Compiled .CHM or WebHelp?

Also, where is the output being viewed from? Are you copying to a server before testing or what?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response and welcome.

I am compiling a .chm file as my output. I am already aware of the security problems associated with running a .chm file over a network, and we have a work around for this.

My dilema is that I can create a link from one topic to another. When I view the topic in View mode the links work as they should - the linked topic displays in the same window. Hitting the backspace key will take me back to the original topic.
But when I compile and then run the file from my workstation ( WINXP SP2 ) and click on a link, the web browser can not open the topic and returns the error. The same thing occurs if I copy the compiled .chm file from the project folder to my desktop, open it and then try to view the linked topics.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2006 Sep 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like the path you are linking to is not correct. What is the link's syntax. Can the file be found when accessed from outside the project directory?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I determine the link's syntax?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have copied the .chm rather than having it installed, XP with the latest updates will not allow it to be run. Find the .chm in Windows explorer and right click and select properties. There may be a message that the file is blocked. You can liberate it there. This is a security issue.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi RoboConfused

You can call me RoboPuzzled. Why? Well, I'm more than a bit concerned when you say: I am already aware of the security problems associated with running a .chm file over a network, and we have a work around for this.

This makes me wonder if possibly your "workaround" isn't really working after all. Additionally, you are referring to creating a .CHM (where all topics are placed and viewed from, then later mention something about the browser opening.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2006 Sep 15, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies. Let me try to clarify a few points.

For security purposes our Novell environment is configured to prevent running a .chm file across the network. This will prevent dropping the .chm file on a network volume and running it from there. Our in-house applications are copied to and run from C:\ via an executable that synchs the application with the latest .dll's and .ini files. When we release an updated version of the application all modified files are copied locally to the workstation to keep everything current. I plan to add the .chm file to the list of items to be pulled down locally on each workstation. It will run from the same folder that the applications run from. This is the work around I was referring to.

As stated before my problem concerns the links that I have created. When I am in RoboHelp and I click on the blue eye glasses located on the toolbar to view a topic that has one to several links included, that topic opens in a separate window and everything works great.

When I compile and then try to run the project, it opens in a web browser as it should. I can then drill down to a topic via 'Contents' that has one or more links and the topic opens as it should. When I click on any of the links the browser returns the message that this page can not be displayed.

Here is the perplexing part.

If I then go to the Browse Sequence that is located at the top of the browser window and click off of the selected topic that has the links onto any other topic to open it, and then go back to the original topic listed in the Browse Sequence, click on it to open it - all links work as they should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That clarifies a lot. It seems that your hyperlinks are incorrect but that everything else, including links from the TOC, is correct. To answer your question "How can I determine the link's syntax?" you can look at the HTML code from the True Code viewer. It should have an HTML anchor, <A HREF= , followed by the destination. There should not be a path other than any subfolders in your project. If there are odd characters in your filenames that also might cause a problem, though I would think the TOC would give the same problem.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cut a few of the links out for your review. They look correct to me.

<p><a href="Requested_Subtypes.htm">Requested Subtypes</a></p>

<p><a href="Requested_Reruns.htm">Requested Reruns</a></p>

<p><a href="Probe_Data_Entry_Discrepancies.htm">Discrepancies</a></p>

<p><a href="Duplicate_Interpreted_Results.htm">Duplicates</a></p>

<p><a href="Specimen_Summary.htm">Summary</a></p>

<p><a href="Specimen_Results.htm">Specimen Results</a></p>

<p><a href="Specimen_Positive_Probes.htm">Specimen Positive Probes</a></p>

<p><a href="Specimen_Runs.htm">Specimen Runs</a></p>

<p><a href="Rerun_Specimen_Postive_Probes.htm">Rerun Positive Probes</a></p>

<p><a href="Clincal_Info.htm">Clinical Info</a></p>

<p><a href="LCLS_Orders.htm">LCLS Orders</a></p>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi all

Oh dear oh me oh my! Stop the presses! I think I may know what is going on here.

Earlier you posted the following:

As stated before my problem concerns the links that I have created. When I am in RoboHelp and I click on the blue eye glasses located on the toolbar to view a topic that has one to several links included, that topic opens in a separate window and everything works great.

When I compile and then try to run the project, it opens in a web browser as it should. I can then drill down to a topic via 'Contents' that has one or more links and the topic opens as it should. When I click on any of the links the browser returns the message that this page can not be displayed.

Here is the perplexing part.

If I then go to the Browse Sequence that is located at the top of the browser window and click off of the selected topic that has the links onto any other topic to open it, and then go back to the original topic listed in the Browse Sequence, click on it to open it - all links work as they should.

At first, I'm thinking you are talking about WebHelp. But you then mention the browse sequence bar. This implies a compiled .CHM file. So here's what I'm thinking. Somehow, you are opening a topic in a new window. A browser window, right? And once you are there, the links fail, but ONLY when you click them inside this window. If you display the same topic INSIDE your compiled .CHM file, things work, right?

I'm guessing that the links are failing precisely because the browser window isn't the same thing as the .CHM viewer. Once you step outside of the .CHM viewer, things get confused big time.

Am I right? Am I right? Huh? Are we there yet? ;)

If so, if you really want to display topics in different windows where the links all work, you will probably need to resort to creating secondary windows and using those instead. This way you would remain within the cozy confines of the help viewer.

Cheers all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp