Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Text caption set up to display for all of slide

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2011 Nov 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

i'm using captivate 5 and have another query.

is there a way to automatically set up text captions to display for the whole slide not a specific time? I know how to set this, but to go through and do this for every text caption is proving to be very time consuming.

look forward to hearing from you.

TOPICS
Recording

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 13, 2011 Nov 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can set this but only for new captions.

ProjectPreferences_DefaultCaptionDuration.png

These settings will not change the duration of captions already inserted into your project file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2011 Nov 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great thanks for that!

Just a quick questions, what does the calculate caption timing option do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It automatically sets the slide duration seconds of your text caption according to how many words you type into it.  The idea is that people need a certain amount of time to read the text in a caption.  So if you type in a lot of text, Captivate should show the caption for a lot of time.  It's a setting that MIGHT be of some use in page-turner e-learning where you expect the learner to be reading everything on the screen. 

Personally, as you can see from my screenshot, I turn off all of these three options (Autosize buttons, Autosize Captions, Calculate Caption Timing) as I use voiceover and want total control over these elements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Timing accordion of the Text caption could allow you to apply the setting 'For rest of slide' to all text captions (use the curved arrow, highlighted in screenshot), but the drawback is that this timing accordion also has the start time that will then be applied to all text captions, which is not always what you'll want. So for the example of the screenshot, all text captions would get a start at 4,5secs if I applied this setting to all.

TimingTC.jpg

If you want all future Text Captions in all projects to have the setting 'For rest of slide' make changes to the Preferences before opening a project.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brilliant!! Thanks heaps guys both of these replies are going to save me so much time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2011 Nov 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Just in regards to Lilybiri's comment above for ticking the curved arrow, when you say this is applied to ALL captions, do you mean just in this slide or in the whole project???

I fear it has changed my settings the for whole project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2011 Nov 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All captions is in the total project indeed. This has always been the case also in previous versions of Captivate. Sorry if you misunderstood.

If you want only to change all text captions in one slide, select them all and those accordions concerning properties that can be applied to all text captions will be available in the Properties panel.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources