Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

WebHelp and Windows XP SP2

Enthusiast ,
Sep 14, 2006 Sep 14, 2006

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Colleagues,

Today my desktop support tech told me she will be installing Windows XP on my PC next week because the company has so decreed for everyone.

After maybe a year of going, “Tsk, tsk,” on reading about XP problems in the forum, now I’m rounding up any documentation I can find – not to stop XP, because that’s futile, but to make sure system constraints won’t thwart me and my WebHelp readers.

Here’s an outline of what I’ve gathered from forum members’ sites and posts. If I’ve neglected something, please reply here.

Thanks.

Harvey

The Internet Explorer Information Bar in XP SP2

A Miscrosoft technical note, it suggests ways to eliminate some problems in these areas:

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 14, 2006 Sep 14, 2006
Hi Harvey

Where is your WebHelp stored? How do your users access it?

My reason for asking is because oftentimes, the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) is totally unfounded. Does XP introduce all this stuff? Sure! But it ONLY happens IF your users each have their personal copy of WebHelp installed on their PCs and are accessing it that way. I'm guessing this is seldom the case. WebHelp, by its very nature is best served (pun totally intended) from a server. This is normally the way users view ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Harvey

Where is your WebHelp stored? How do your users access it?

My reason for asking is because oftentimes, the FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) is totally unfounded. Does XP introduce all this stuff? Sure! But it ONLY happens IF your users each have their personal copy of WebHelp installed on their PCs and are accessing it that way. I'm guessing this is seldom the case. WebHelp, by its very nature is best served (pun totally intended) from a server. This is normally the way users view it. When your users view WebHelp in this manner, they shouldn't ever encounter that pesky yellow information bar.

So those are my comments... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Oh, I see. Never mind....

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't realize that this stuff will happen only when I'm looking at WebHelp on my own PC. If I publish immediately to my own space a network drive, I can see it there with no obstacles, right?

Thanks.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harvey

You can run the generated output from your hard disk if you are happy to go to Tools | IE Options | Advanced tab and tick the Allow Active Content option.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Peter,

Thanks.

I'll be happy to do it; we'll see whether the management will be happy to allow it.

Harvey

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp