• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Missing Fonts in my inDesign file...

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2011 Nov 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just recently completed an inDesign file, but it is telling me it has missing fonts.  The file was originally started in CS4 by a coworker and completed by me in CS5.  I'm confused because the fonts show up in the file, but still are classified as missing.  I tried to send this file to print, but they could not print it because of the missing fonts.  If anyone could help me out, you would be doing me a huge favor.  Thanks everyone and have a great day. 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the Type > Find Font command?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob

Yes I did that but it just lists the fonts that are missing.  I know I can go in and "find first" and then "change all" but I'd like to keep the original font being used. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imjimjim wrote:

..I'd like to keep the original font being used.

If the font is missing because you don't have it installed on your system, then don't use the Find Font function but find the font and install it. Problem solved.

If you have been working for a while with the substitute font, you might want to check all of your pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any way you could direct me to a place that gives detailed instructions on how to install a font?  Sorry I'm not the best with CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows or Mac?

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2017 May 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imjimjim wrote:

I'm confused because the fonts show up in the file, but still are classified as missing.

In Normal view (so not Preview), are they indicated by a glaringly obvious pinkish background? Are they listed as "Missing" in Find Font? It's also possible you found the pink highlight annoying and switched off "Highlight: Substitute Fonts" in your preferences.

If you are used to working exclusively in Preview mode, you will miss out all of InDesign's visual warnings for problems like these, right up until you are trying to export or print it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they did show up highlighted pink and yes I did turn off the highlight option.  They also show up missing in find font...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did your coworker provide you with the missing font? You will need it before going any further.

Open up a Finder window in Column View.

Select your hard drive icon in the sidebar.

Select Library,

Select Fonts. Drag your fonts into this folder.

It's best to close InDesign and reopen to get InDesign to recognize the new fonts. This may take awhile for InDesign to rebuild the font menu list.

Occasionally, a font won't show up correctly when placed in the default font folder. Also some fonts may not show up alphabetically in the font list. Scroll to the bottom of the list to see if it was placed there.

If the font is missing MIA. Go your InDesign CS5 folder. There is a Font folder installed there, place the problem font in this folder and InDesign should be able to see the font.

Only use this special font folder for problem fonts. Do NOT place all your fonts in there.

Fonts in this folder will ONLY be available to InDesign CS5, not Photoshop, Illustrator, Word or any other application on your computer.

They also won't be seen by any other version of InDesign. ex. InDesign CS4 or if you update to InDesign CS6 sometime in the future.

When reopening your file InDesign should find the missing font.

Jongware is right, if you were working with a substitute font, you need to check your pages to ensure the font is used everywhere it was originally intended.

Also not a good idea to turn off the Font Substitution pink highlighting; of all the composition highlight warnings this is probably the most important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand how to get the fonts to work and I just received the Helvetica font's from him and got those working but the Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk aren't working. They can in a file with a strange icon (a grey box with green letters that spelled out "exec"). When I "find first" to see where the missing font is located, its on the first and second pages and it is the background graphics, which I think an outside party designed. If I can't get the Berthold fonts to work, what should I do next? Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like some sort of compressed archive, maybe. Can you post a screen shot of the icon? What's the full name, including extension if there is one, of the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

imjimjim wrote:

I understand how to get the fonts to work and I just received the  Helvetica font's from him and got those working but the Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk aren't working.  They can in a file with a strange icon (a grey box with green letters that spelled out "exec").

This is the one:

Screen Shot 2011-11-18 at 11.16.46 PM.png

It's Mac OS X very unhelpful 'unrecognized file type' default icon, and it might be anything, from an unrecognized file format (unlikely because OS X should recognize most font files) up to a damaged download.

imjimjim wrote:

When I "find first" to see where the missing font is located, its on the first and second pages and it is the background graphics, which I think an outside party designed.  If I can't get the Berthold fonts to work, what should I do next?

That's a problem on a different level. Is this in a placed EPS or PDF, or (sigh) even a placed InDesign page? Then it was up to the original designer to embed the fonts used into the image -- or, failing that, convert to outlines (which ought not to be necessary in a moderately modern workflow). About the only way to get it to work is to actually install these fonts on your system as well and hope it's the exact same version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you install fonts for the whole Adobe package; Indesign, Illustrator, Fireworks etc?

I'm getting errors saying Arial Bold's not available; though it is! Very peculiar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OS? Where is Arial installed now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Precise Formwork wrote:

How do you install fonts for the whole Adobe package; Indesign, Illustrator, Fireworks etc?

Fonts that are installed in your system, "the usual way", are (or actually, should be ) available in all software that can use that particular font type. Only if you install a font in Adobe's Shared Fonts folder (whose location depends on your OS) it will be available exclusively in Adobe's software. And if you install a font in InDesign's or Illustrator's own Fonts folder -- the one inside the same folder as the program -- then the font is private to that application only.

That said: Arial Bold should be installed by default on your computer, whether it's a Mac or Windows machine, in the usual location for all of your system fonts. So first, look in there: Windows/Fonts for (uh) Windows, Font Book/Tab "Computer" for the Mac. If it's not in there, someone removed it.

If it is there, you may have another problem: you may have more than one version of Arial installed, in different locations. Try InDesign's Find Font and see where it finds "Arial". Then check that folder: is it in a logical location (i.e., one of your System's) or somewhere else? If it's "somewhere else" and you also have a correct System font, remove the 'somewhere else' and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines