• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where to save on hard drive?

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2011 Nov 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Due to new security measures, I can no longer save my RoboHelp HTML project directly to a first level folder on my root directory, C:. I must save in a folder structure under "My Documents". I know it's not a good idea to work off the network, but is it a good idea to work off a second and third folder level?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 18, 2011 Nov 18, 2011

Hi Jan

There is no hard and fast restriction that projects must be as follows:

C:\

C:\Project 1

C:\Project 2

Etc.

I do regularly suggest something like this:

C:\Projects

C:\Projects\Project 1

C:\Projects\Project 2

Etc.

While you may see issues related to a long path, that doesn't happen really often. Yet once in a while it does, so it's worth considering.

You might ask your management which is more important? Ensuring the C drive is locked down to their specs or ensuring you remain productive with RoboHe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 18, 2011 Nov 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best practices recommend c:\projects\[project_name]\ as the location. If that won't work for you, try to keep the path as short as you can.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what i always thought, too. To avoid the network and keep the path first level. This is what my path will be:

C:\Documents and Settings\janet.hanlon\My Documents\<name of project> so I'm concerned that I'm going to have problems within the project with links, etc. Unfortunately, they are just convinced that they need to lock down the root directory for security reasons (no reason given to us). Hear me give a big SIGH. Although my projects will be backed up to the network, I believe that I am still going to be working off my local drive -- I'll doublecheck on that. When I saved a project to my local drive recently they had it locked down so that I couldn't zip it!! yipes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan

There is no hard and fast restriction that projects must be as follows:

C:\Project 1

C:\Project 2

Etc.

I do regularly suggest something like this:

C:\Projects

C:\Projects\Project 1

C:\Projects\Project 2

Etc.

While you may see issues related to a long path, that doesn't happen really often. Yet once in a while it does, so it's worth considering.

You might ask your management which is more important? Ensuring the C drive is locked down to their specs or ensuring you remain productive with RoboHelp?

I know, much easier said than done. Another possiblity would be to use high speed memory sticks or SD cards or even USB hard drives. That would keep the project local and may satisfy the requirements.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7, 8 or 9 within the day!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

that's good advice - thanks. Working off a network plus a long path gives me RH nightmares. The security measures are coming from the central IT division and we have no choice but to follow their directives however I'm trying to get grandfathered in to maintain access to my root drive. Thanks to everyone for the great feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jan

Wow, just curious. Has your IT staff advised how that saving to a first level folder becomes a security threat?

That's a curious thing indeed. Sort of smells like a WOTM to me. (WOTM = Whim Of The Moment)

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same boat (the logic being that IT wants information centralized for security reasons, and also it ensures consistent daily backup of data).

I must warn you that working off a newtwork folder screws up your internal project hyperlinks (when you create the hyperlink, it references a file on the networked drive). Just be careful when you enter a hyperlink to remove the network path from the hyperlink.

If it's possible, I might consider working on your local drive, and then copying over to the networked location on a daily basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

DEFINITELY, (if you can) that's the way to fly. Work locally and save backups to the LAN.

Working from a network drive will cause you unbelievalbe headaches. Long pauses, unstable operation, you name it.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am going to have a similar issue soon.   Our IT is telling us that they want to load Robohelp on to a Citrix server and have us work from there instead of the C: drives.  There will a centralized server and all programs will be housed there.  We will log into that server, pull Robohelp from there to work in it, then publish to the drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably going to be a violation of your license running it that way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is that it is a breach of licence but that apart, more than one user working on the same project is highly likely to completely screw the project, to use the technical term!

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2011 Dec 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is so much worse than my situation! Hopefully this thread will help you convince them to reconsider their decision. Besides being a breach of license, it is going to be a ticking timebomb for your projects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp