• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Slow flash content

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2011 Nov 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have five computers in my house, but this problem only occurs in two of them. Mostly, I experience slow flash content in those two computers, across two main problems:

- When I try to see Youtube videos, if I start playing them before the video has fully loaded, the video will be laggy. The sound works great, though;

- When I try to play Facebook flash games, the games are very laggy, even in the lowest quality option. Once more, the sound works fine.

Any ideas on what may be wrong, here? I already tried reinstalling Flash, changing my video card, defraging the systems, using other browsers, having a single window (or tab) open, disabling (or enabling) hardware acceleration, updating all my drivers, etc, but nothing solved this problem. Any ideas on how to solve my problem?

These are my system specs for the two problematic systems:

-- System 1

Windows XP SP3, 32bit

2.8 Ghz Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 6200 (previously ATI Radeon 9200)

Firefox 7.0.1, Chrome 15.0.874.106, Internet Explorer 6.0(all 32bit)

Flash Player version: 11,0,1,152

-- System 2:

Windows XP SP3, 32bit

2.4 Ghz Processor, 1 GB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, ATI Radeon 9200 SE

Internet Explorer 8.0, Firefox 7.0.1(all 32bit)

Flash Player version: 11,0,1,152

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 18, 2011 Nov 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of course, the first wrong thing here is "adobe flashplayer" 😉 Because it is very buggy and laggy, extremely slow and very high power consumption, unlike some non web players like VLC or MPC.

And the most wrong thing - there is no alternative for "flashplayer". 😉

That "2.33GHz or faster x86-compatible processor" in "System requirements" is good for low resolutions...

For playing Youtube videos at high resolutions with "flashplayer" an old Intel 2.8GHz single-core CPU is not enough. This may be good for 360, or 480 (CPU load will be very high) resolutions only.

Furhtermore, "flashplayer" does not support accelerated hardware rendering on ATI Radeon 9200 chips (while these chips support this). And even more does not support accelerated hardware decoding.))

So, this "flashplayer" works very slow on Intel 2.4 Ghz with Radeon 9200.

Old "flashplayer" versions like v10.0.12.36 works slightly faster with old hardware. And there was available the only setting "quality setting" that allows to decrease CPU load for a few tens of percents (new "flashplayer" has no any video settings at all). But at this time it has a poor compatibility with sites content already.

Well, there is only 2 ways - upgrade hardware, or watch low resolutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2011 Nov 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the same thing happen if you update the device drivers for the display adapters to the latest available version?

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest Catalyst version for Radeon 9200 is 6.11.

So, flashplayer definitely does not support accelerated hardware rendering with this chip because of a some reasons... and the first reason - flashplayer does not support accelerated hardware rendering with Catalyst 6.11.

However, it works good with GeForce 6200 (with latest available Forceware drivers). So, with Intel 2.8GHz single core CPU, it may handle even 1280x720 youtube video, but with very high CPU utilisation, up to 100% sometimes (CPU overclocking solves this problem quite).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2011 Nov 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hum... I just installed the most recent drivers a few minutes ago. How do I know if they're "Forceware" or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 05, 2011 Dec 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I know if they're "Forceware" or not

It does not matter. Only version of driver is important. Most recent is good in most cases...

Next "potboiler" that you may notice in flashplayer is distribution of priority between content downloading and video rendering process. Priority of rendering is higher.:-)  So, if CPU utilisation reaches up to 100%, downloading stops (instead of frame dropping). As a result, there is hard lagging, because downloading and rendering processes goes alternately.:-))

Solution:

- Waiting before the video has fully downloaded.

- Upgrade hardware, as always. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 05, 2011 Dec 05, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this article: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash#Performance_or_display_issues_with_certain_Flash_videos

Although primarily aimed at Firefox users, a lot of the data can also be applied to other browsers.

Incidentally, you'd be well advised to update Firefox on both machines. v7.0.1. exposes them both to attack. See: http://www.mozilla.org/security/known-vulnerabilities/firefox.html#firefox8

You can use the Help menu to update (press ALT if you cannot see the text links). After you click Help, go to "About Firefox" and then click the "Update" button you'll see in the menu. You can also download the update from here: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/fx/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 17, 2011 Dec 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! WHY accelerated hardware rendering does not work with ForceWare 175.19 ???

So, does this mean that all GeForce 5 FX series (by the way, Shader Model 2.0, DX9 compatible chips!) are not supported by flashplayer? Is it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Herman_Monster wrote:

Hey! WHY accelerated hardware rendering does not work with ForceWare 175.19 ???

So, does this mean that all GeForce 5 FX series (by the way, Shader Model 2.0, DX9 compatible chips!) are not supported by flashplayer? Is it?

Things do wear out you know. The GeForce 5FX series dates from 2003 which is almost 9 years ago. NVIDIA ceased support for it way back in 2006 The Flash player from that era was 7.0.61.0 and since that time, technology has moved on.

Accelerated hardware rendering is a new technology which wasn't available in 2003 and that's why the Forceware v175.19 doesn't support it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. GeForce 5FX (dates from 2003) which is more advanced analogue of ATI R300 based cards (dates from 2002!). Accelerated hardware rendering works good with all R3xx series chips. That is why i ask.

Very strange situation...

It seems, the main cause of that problem is ceasing support by NVIDIA. Final release v175.19 dates from 2008.07.09.

ATI supported their R3xx chips up to 2010... This is Radeon 9500, 9700, 9600, 9800 and others graphic cards... and with latest driver release v10.2 accelerated hardware rendering works good.

Actually, accelerated hardware rendering is a new technology only for Adobe Flashplayer. Although, this capabilities provided by hardware from long time ago (almost 10 years ago... when a great revolutionary R300 chip was released).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Herman_Monster wrote:

Actually, accelerated hardware rendering is a new technology only for Adobe Flashplayer.

Nope. You've got your sums wrong there I'm afraid. See: http://www.neilturner.me.uk/2011/03/11/enabling_hardware_acceler.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 20, 2012 Jan 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Obviously, Flashplayer accelerated hardware rendering is highly dependent on the hardware system configuration and installed software/drivers.

We tried to install GF5FX on a few systems based on nVidia chipsets - nForce2 and nForce3. Same result in all cases - accelerated hardware rendering is disabled.

But then we got a system based on VIA chipset (very old, VT8363/VT82C686B) for our experiments with GF5FX and were surprised when saw "accelerated hardware rendering: enabled".

This does not mean that cause of this issue is nForce chipset... it could be chipset drivers, settings, corresponding software and other... too many possible causes...

However, we did not see this "acceleration" with GF5FX is good. It was much worse than ATI R300 based GPU (it tested on the same VIA system too, for comparison), because CPU utilisation almost no changed (as compared with software rendering mode), and moreover, there was some video delays and freezing even though quite low CPU utilisation (50% and lower). Well, no reason to use such "acceleration", and we can assume, all the same, that acceleration does not work at all with GF5FX.

As a result: the better of the old GPUs for Adobe Flashplayer is ATI R3xx GPUs.

P.S. "Good" news for topicstarter. Youtube upgraded their player, so, now, that new player has at least twice performance degradation. Tested on PIII1.0 GHz/PC133, 240p mode - CPU utilisation 100% (with previous player was 30-50%), max value of rendering FPS is 20 or lower, player hangs and delays...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines